This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

spruecutter96    452

I've just been to see the new Dunkirk movie and - although it was very well-made and produced on an epic scale - there were a few aspects that need some comment. 

A.  Tom Hardy's Spitfire - who had any idea that a Spit could glide for (what seemed like) 10 minutes? Also, just how much ammo did that Spit carry? I thought that early model Spits carried a maximum of 12 seconds ammunition, but I would estimate that our Tom was carrying between 40 and 50 seconds worth..... (Yep, I'm only too aware that only a military nerd like myself would be aware of this anomaly). 

B. Soldiers on the beach. I would say that there is never more than 1,000 people on the beach at any one time. Is this because Chris Nolan has an aversion for using computer-generated imagery to enhance his movies? Surely the beaches would have been much busier than this if they had 300,000 troops to move?

Don't get me wrong, it was a good film of a very important subject and you should give it a go.

Cheers.

Chris. 

Pete in Lincs    6,096

There are some good comments about the film over on hyperscale.com.

Glide ratio of a Spitfire? not sure. The length of time would surely depend on the height it started at though.

I think the total troops moved was over a period of a few days.

And, from what I've read in the past, not all were from those beaches.

A lot of them would have been behind the beaches away from the bombers,

and some would have been in lines of defence behind the beaches.

If I remember correctly, I read that we were still shipping troops to France as the evacuation was going on!

3DStewart    228

It's a good film that gets the main historical facts right. Some of the minor ones are wrong, either out of filming necessity or for dramatic effect, but I can overlook these.

I did smile in the Spitfire crash landing scene though where the pilot tries to lower the u/c using powered hydraulics, fails and reverts to hand pumping.  The hand pumping was realistically portrayed, the powered lowering was an invention, as the Mk I only had hand pumping. 

PhoenixII    195
On 21/07/2017 at 6:30 PM, spruecutter96 said:

I've just been to see the new Dunkirk movie and - although it was very well-made and produced on an epic scale - there were a few aspects that need some comment. 

B. Soldiers on the beach. I would say that there is never more than 1,000 people on the beach at any one time. Is this because Chris Nolan has an aversion for using computer-generated imagery to enhance his movies? Surely the beaches would have been much busier than this if they had 300,000 troops to move?

Hi Chris,

soldiers on the beach? As Pete has said many where there, but not all together.

Over 7000 taken off the Dunkirk mole over a period of 8 days, 27 May - 4 June 1940.

The bill for 300,000 (thats nearly 100,000 MORE than the whole population of central Bedfordshire!) extras?

the accountants would have exploded! :boom: Good call!!!! :wicked:

My uncle was with the Northamptonshires, force march from the French / Belgian border, down to Dunkirk, too many to take off,

the mole was U/S by then so they were marched further up the coast and taken off there.

Paul

593jones    385

Went to see Dunkirk last night, a treat from my daughter, and thought it was excellent, if a little confusing at first.  I thought Mark Rylance put in an excellent performance as the civilian boat-owner, as did Kenneth Branagh as the naval Commander.  I don't want to put in any spoilers for those who haven't yet seen it, but it was edge of the seat stuff.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

If I remember correctly, I read that we were still shipping troops to France as the evacuation was going on!

Yes, we were shipping troops to France at that time, but I think it's as well to remember that things in May 1940 weren't as clear cut as they are to us today, with the benefit of hindsight.  We should remember that much of the French army and large numbers of British troops were still fighting south of the German breakthrough.  Possibly the situation did not seem to be irreversible until the collapse of the French government and the French armistice with Germany.  This led to a second BEF evacuation, Operation Ariel, between 15th and 25 June. 

Pete in Lincs    6,096

They were confused times indeed.

It's a blessing that so many were brought back to Blighty.

T7 Models    4,883

Saw it last night. Very entertaining and interesting. I was a little confused initially about the interweaving periods of time, though they did nicely dovetail. I have to agree about Tm Hardy's Spitfire's capabilities, but the aerial shots were some of the finest I have ever seen. It was amazing to think that the Heinkel was a large scale R/C model. Well worth a couple of hours of anybody's time.

gregg136    256
Posted (edited)

The Wife and I went to see it last night after finally rustling up a babysitter. I noticed the ammunition (Remembering a certain film that had Spitfires with unlimited ammunition *Cough* Pearl Harbor *Cough*) I think I counted out about 10 seconds worth used although I was quietly telling him to close the distance a bit more before firing. Ken Branagh and Mark Rylance were absolutely fantastic. 

I did like Michael Caine playing Fortis flight's leader (although it's just his voice) it was a nice nod to his role in 'The Battle of Britain'

Also a shout out about the soundtrack, fantastic.

Spoiler

When you see the fishing boat getting shot at and the Army Officer says "This is it!", when Kenneth turns around and his face changes as he sees the small ships heading to the beach, it got suddenly very dusty in the cinema and I couldn't quite see the screen because my eyes were watering............ because of the dust you understand

Edited by gregg136

John_W    1,444

Very good film, a shame the burning spitfire had no engine and appeared to be made of wood though.

M1ks    31

I've yet to see it but there's always a measure of creative license in movies.

Like the runway in that fast and furious movie, 6? 7? that was apparently built straight across the US coast to coast given the length of time that antonov was building up speed for takeoff.

Then the number of movies where ammo seems to be self replenishing until that crucial last minute face off when both guys have miraculously emptied their 'clips' and have to duke it out mano a mano, added to this the fact that automatic pistols since forever have had a lock back slide mechanism to show the mag is empty yet theirs never does so they don't know until that crucial trigger pulling moment that they're empty.

Also, as a former mechanic, the number of films where people are supposedly mechanic ing but clearly have no clue is astounding.

As a final note though, people rubbished red tails citing various scenes that were implausible or downright impossible, as they were, that said, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

As long as people are aware they shouldn't take these as historical fact but as a viewpoint into history and entertainment as a movie then there's no harm done.

Vince1159    1,695
5 minutes ago, M1ks said:

As a final note though, people rubbished red tails citing various scenes that were implausible or downright impossible, as they were, that said, I still thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I've got it on dvd and i have to admit it's not one of my favouites but importantly it's recognition to them and lets people know the story....

Martin T    490

Went to see 'Dunkirk' last night, yes, there were some things that stretched real life a bit, but still thought it was good and an effective portrayal of people under pressure and desperate to survive. I thought it was good how the Spitfire pilots were looking carefully at their fuel state.