Airfix 1/48th scale EE Lightning F1 scheme

Hi all, 

I know I always say, "no military", but my dear wife has, out of the blue, ordered me an Airfix F1 Lightning kit in 1/48th scale.  Now, I am a huge Lightning fan.  My first exposure was when my Nan and Granddad moved to Gt. Yarmouth.  Regular holidays with them would have me goggle-eyed as they broke the sound barrier crossing the coast from RAF Coltishall.  My Dad had to reglaze several windows once and considered it "worth it, though, eh?"  He was ex RAF, of course.

Years later, I was given a lift in his personal Auster J5 by the 2 IC of Coltishall, who was a member of our flying club.  So, my connection with the base is as strong as anywhere else and since my Dad's squadron, No 6, didn't get Lightnings I can only look to Coltishall for a connection.  

Now, I only like the F1 with the sharp tipped tail and so my question is...can anyone tell me what the early kites looked like and can decal sets be had for whichever Coltishall based squadron wore a nice scheme?  It has to be bare metal as I'll be foiling this one.

Many thanks,

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks, Darth.  Alas they are F1s from elsewhere. The only Coltishall one is an F3.

So, still looking, but many thanks for taking the time and interest.

Martin

Well, blow me down, but it seems that the kit thoughtfully provides a set of decals for an F1 from 74 squadron at Coltishall!

So, rather red faced, I withdraw.

Cheers,

Martin

• Like 1