Airfix 1:48 Bedford MWD ****Completed*****

As promised @PlaStix, but no - this is not a single night's work. I started at the beginning of the week, and haven't had a chance to post anything.

On a bit of a roll here with 1:48 scale military vehicles. This one was an impulse buy a week or so ago, inspired by some of the terrific builds I've seen on this forum. 

Box top:

35183790584_e1ecaa1a1e_b.jpg

Sprue shots:

35981649396_eb8d8f5a56_b.jpg

35852210312_b39cb9916c_b.jpg

35212776743_33082d69f4_b.jpg

35889757761_6abc1c87a6_b.jpg

The mouldings are not as crisp as the 1:48 Tamiya vehicles I have been building, see for example the front wheels:

36023498325_51821e8018_b.jpg

This is going to be another out of the box build, I am going to do the later model RAF marked vehicle.

35981647316_94699a556d_b.jpg

First, I drilled out the ends of the "bumper" (almost going cross eyed in the process)

35982617646_7897025507_b.jpg

Chassis went together very quickly

35982617936_9a5d243904_b.jpg35853105442_17f7a7183b_b.jpg

There are a few mould lines in awkward places, but they won't be visible so I am not too fussed - but still not quite as much finesse as the Tamiya kits.

Wheels look nice and rugged, and the flat bits all touch the ground!

35224848834_fe061da123_b.jpg

Now on to some painting. I brewed up some SCC 2 with Tamiya acrylics according to the recipe I found in this conversation thread: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913729-british-ww2-tank-colors/

For the canvas tilt I mixed up roughly a 1:1 mix of XF 78 wooden deck tan and XF 49 khaki.  Looks ok to my eye.

35675907880_e45dde9192_b.jpg

First brushed on coat of SCC2

35224837224_c69a1eb8cb_b.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 5

Thanks @Gremlin56, after a long dry period I see to have got my mojo back (it could also be due to the rotten weather outside!). These little 1:48 military vehicle kits are a great weekend build.

Made some progress today with painting and assembly of the canvas tilt, which needed some filler along the join lines.

36080621135_52bf0649ac_b.jpg

35947151921_c5bcb8240c_b.jpg

35240592944_f9f1fcc194_b.jpg

35272242633_f8765ce299_b.jpg

The decal for the instruments in the cab took some convincing to bed down with a couple of coats of Tamiya Acrylic thinner.

35947146711_04a924575d_b.jpg

While waiting for stuff to dry I put together a simple base from a picture frame, some grass scatter and some paint sample cards from a local hardware warehouse as the concrete slabs. A dirty watercolour wash finished it off.

35240594294_ef0b33de83_b.jpg

• Like 3

:blush: - that's awfully nice of you to say that.  I'm sure yours will be brilliant.  I was having problems with primer at the time so the paint job on mine is not the best.  I've taken a backward step there & settled on the Halfordsl rattle can primer - which looks really stupid next to my snazzy airbrush.  But it works really well 'for me'.

Also I was still learning about fillers so I really struggled with the canvas top - I just couldn't hide the seams properly.

Then there was the windscreens - which I managed to partially fog up whilst gluing.

Finally - as if that wasn't enough - I went through at least 4 different matt varnishes before I tried Winsor & Newton Galleria Matt.

Apart form that - it was a 'breeze' :lol:

• Like 1

Well it looked pretty good to me! Matt finishes are a bit of an issue for me as well. Hadn't thought of using the one you mention - is it easy to work with? (Taking into account I only use brushes)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonL said:

Well it looked pretty good to me! Matt finishes are a bit of an issue for me as well. Hadn't thought of using the one you mention - is it easy to work with? (Taking into account I only use brushes)

Yep - Works well for me either brushed or sprayed.  Be careful not to apply it all in one go - especially on the canvas roof - as it will 'pool' in the dips of the canvas.  Use a broad flat brush & long sweeps. 

• Like 1

Just now, SimonL said:

Thanks, does it need thinning?

No - it looks a bit 'thick' but goes on really well neat.

• Like 1

Here is where I am at this evening, some washes applied to various internal bits, and the canvas tilt painted. Looks a bit patchy as I have sealed the washes in with Humbrol Mattcote and it's still a bit wet.

35915000422_5e81b11e52_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Simon - Are you doing the rear flap of the canvas up or down?  If I was doing it down again I would spend some extra time to sand the canvas flap a lot thinner on the bottom edge - looking at mine it just looks too thick.

Oh - just thought of another thing - the engine compartment sides are not supposed to sit flush with the top of the front mud guards - if they do - the bonnet doesn't align.

Use the 'natural point' at the top front of the door join as a positioning level - line them up with this and the bonnet fits great.  It also helps to put the front radiator on before the sides too.

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Simon - Are you doing the rear flap of the canvas up or down?  If I was doing it down again I would spend some extra time to sand the canvas flap a lot thinner on the bottom edge - looking at mine it just looks too thick.

I was going to leave the flap up - sounds like it would be less work as well :-)

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

Oh - just thought of another thing - the engine compartment sides are not supposed to sit flush with the top of the front mud guards - if they do - the bonnet doesn't align.

Use the 'natural point' at the top front of the door join as a positioning level - line them up with this and the bonnet fits great.  It also helps to put the front radiator on before the sides too.

I had already glued it together before I read this, but as  it happens I preempted your comment as that was the approach I took.

So here is where I am today.

All the  main parts glued together, painted and first coat of gloss (from my dwindling supply of floor polish). The wheels are just a push fit here. I have left the steps and the fender light off as I keep knocking them off. They will be attached with CA at the end of the build. I was lucky to find the light - a tiny speck of brown painted plastic on an oatmeal coloured carpet!

36060925726_1738e3f342_b.jpg

Canvas tilt after a few washes. Need to do some dry brushing next.

36060925856_d5bd0b3b86_b.jpg

I glossed the tailgate and added the decals. They needed copious amount so of Tamiya Acrylic thinner to get them to snuggle down into the detail.

35294052613_4ae35e9176_b.jpg

I has a look at the side windows, and was considering masking but then thought  "meh", and painted them freehand. Just a bit of work with a cocktail stick and I think they will do.

35262076504_bd626e5e24_b.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Simon.  I am particularly impressed with the canvas topper - miles ahead of mine and well done on getting the engine side panels right - I had a bit of a 'mare' there - but retrieved it in the nick of time.

Glad to hear you beat the carpet monster and save your light - I went for speckled beige carpet too - to potentially hide paint splashes - which was the whole reason I needed a new carpet in the first place :doh: 

• Like 1

Hi Simon - just an idea...

photo.jpg

I invested in this mat - supposedly to catch any rogue paint drips - but it is also brilliant at catching small model pieces.  Even with my poor eyesight I simply get down on my knees and swipe my hand across the mat - result carpet monster victims have fallen by 99% - result!!!

• Like 1

So on Friday you start this project and, by the time I get here on Monday lunchtime, you're almost finished!! And I thought this wasn't a quick build!? :hmmm::giggle:

Well it looks like it was almost finished yesterday evening - so a loooong two day project eh? It does look rather impressive though. I do like the finish you have a achieved. I will look out for the RFI photos!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

Sorry Stix 😜Actually, it's going to take a bit longer for the mattcote to dry and for me to finish it off.

....so 5, maybe 6 minutes? :winkgrin:

• Like 1