Hello from Oxfordshire

Dave in Oxford

Hi, Dave from Oxford here with a startlingly original user name! Decided to return to this hobby after a long break, having given or thrown away what I had built and all of my reference material some years ago. Now I see how valuable some of it would have been! Basically an average sort of modeller, mostly with aircraft, also dabbled in R/C and other ways of throwing away even more money.

I have bought an Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb kit and will make a start on it once I've decided what sort of paint to use (preferably something less smelly and easier to airbrush than the Humbrol enamels I used to struggle with) and bought a compressor to power the airbrush I apparently didn't get rid of!

I have already made  use of the search function here, and once I've decided that either the questions I need to ask have not been asked and answered already, I'll start posting.

Cheers,

Dave

:welcome: aboard Dave.  If you're going to use acrylics, just remember that they're not as tough as enamels, so you'll be better off priming before painting, and treating painted surfaces carefully until you've got clear coats over them.  There are loads of helpful folks on this here forum, and they'll be more than happy to give you any assistance you need to grow as a modeller.  That's one of the things that makes Britmodeller my favourite forum, all personal bias aside ;)

2 hours ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Dave.  If you're going to use acrylics, just remember that they're not as tough as enamels, so you'll be better off priming before painting, and treating painted surfaces carefully until you've got clear coats over them.  There are loads of helpful folks on this here forum, and they'll be more than happy to give you any assistance you need to grow as a modeller.  That's one of the things that makes Britmodeller my favourite forum, all personal bias aside ;)

Thanks, Mike, I am sure there is a lot to learn, and re-learn as well. I have loads of Humbrol tinlets, but some of them must be over 40 years old, the most recent might be only 10-15 years old, but I suspect most ill have dried put long ago. But I am finding it difficult to get find acrylics to replace the Humbrol paint numbers on the Spitfire instructions. I'd like to use Tamiya paints as I have used them before and they seemed to be easy to work with, but am open to suggestions of anything better that's come along over the last decade or two.

Cheers,

Dave

1 hour ago, PaulT 876 said:

Hi Dave

Is this the Dave H I know.

Paul

No, Paul, I'm a Dave S, live between Witney and Abingdon.

Hmm you sure you aren't Dave C well know ex public figure he lives near Witney....all looks suspicious to me lol....I want a word with you about SDSR !

Anyway enough of that I have the old airfix 1/48 Spitfire....not my thing really but it must have been cheap...so would be interesting to compare.

Welcome

7 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Hmm you sure you aren't Dave C well know ex public figure he lives near Witney....all looks suspicious to me lol....I want a word with you about SDSR !

Anyway enough of that I have the old airfix 1/48 Spitfire....not my thing really but it must have been cheap...so would be interesting to compare.

Welcome

I think Dave C lives out near Chipping Norton, not that I have ever seen him around what used to be his constituency! I've added a profile picture to make sure no one confuses me and him, though!

The Spit I bought is a fairly recent one, I think, it is certainly a lot more detailed and a lot cleaner moulded that ones I struggled with in the distant past.

• Like 1

Welcome to BM Dave, I'm still not convinced your not a heavily disguised Dave C.

As far as acrylic paints are concerned, you can't go far wrong with Tamiya – easy to use and easy to get and quite cheap, that's why I use them.

Hope you enjoy doing your Spit, hope to see it when you've done.

Gorby

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome Dave ... newbie from across the pond. Good luck with the spitfire. As others have said you Cant go wrong with Tamiya. Im a WW2 aviation guy but dabble in other stuff as well. Let me know if i can help ? 

Dennis

Thanks for the welcome, Dennis. I guess if I have any area of special interest, it would be aircraft used by the Finnish airforce, as I lived there for many years. 

• Like 1