Humbrol Varnishes

Adam Bromiley

Hi :)

I was looking to buy 1:48 A-10 but considering the expense of the model, I really want to make it perfect. One problem I have had in the past is decal silvering, even with Humbrol Decal Fix, so now I want to buy a varnish to help me apply them better (I have never used a varnish before). I have searched the internet and most people seem to use Alclad or Humbrol - given the fact that I have never used any Alclad products, I will look to buy Humbrol.

I need a gloss varnish to apply the decals onto, however, Humbrol offer different ones:

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/coatings-thinners/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/coatings-thinners/modelcote-gloss-cote-28ml-bottle.html

https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/shop/spray-paints/varnish-sprays/35-enamel-varnish-gloss-150ml-spray-varnish.html (this can also be bought in tins however I feel like spraying the varnish would be better???)

EDIT: http://www.alclad2-online.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=1&SUB=4&THISPAGE=2&RADIOSORT=5&PICFILE=163&STKNR=163&STRH=4165&ORDN=5029&RNZ=586536 (After some research Alclad II Aqua Gloss sounds very promising, however, I do not have an airbrush which I think is what it is designed for - any opinions on brush use of it?)

Any info one what the differences are would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I'll be brush applying if they do come in bottles because I don't have an airbrush.

Cheers,

Adam :) 

Edited by Adam Bromiley

Avoid Humbrol enamel varnishes like the plague.

They turn yellow over time giving your nice paint job a yellow tinge to the colours.

Humbrol 'Cotes' have a reputation for destroying paintwork

Humbrol acrylics are fine though

Presently I'm using Vallejo Gloss and Matt varnish and I'm finding them superior to the Humbrol ones.

As they come out of the bottle the Vallejo varnish is a bit thick but a few drops of water are enough to thin it nicely for brushing on

8 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Avoid Humbrol enamel varnishes like the plague.

They turn yellow over time giving your nice paint job a yellow tinge to the colours.

Humbrol acrylics are fine though

Presently I'm using Vallejo Gloss and Matt varnish and I'm finding them superior to the Humbrol ones.

As they come out of the bottle the Vallejo varnish is a bit thick but a few drops of water are enough to thin it nicely for brushing on

So are you saying if I were to go with Humbrol the only viable varnish would be their "Clear" which is a water-based gloss varnish?

And I'll look into Vallejo - I probably sound like a bit of a noob asking all these questions but I've never felt the need to use varnish until now :D

Cheers,

41 minutes ago, Adam Bromiley said:

So are you saying if I were to go with Humbrol the only viable varnish would be their "Clear" which is a water-based gloss varnish?

And I'll look into Vallejo - I probably sound like a bit of a noob asking all these questions but I've never felt the need to use varnish until now :D

Cheers,

A good alternative is Lakeland 'Quickshine'.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/20286/Quick-Shine-Floor-Finish

Your nearest branches are MK or Bicester

I've been using Johnson's Klear for years, as have many of us. It has been reformulated in recent times; some say it's as good, others are more dubious. It's a self levelling clear acrylic floor sealer which can be brushed. I use it as a matter of course to achieve a gloss finish prior to decalling and afterwards to seal the decals in. If I need a matt finish, I use Games Workshop Purity Seal.

Lakeland Quickshine is virtually the same as the original Klear. Humbrol Clear is back engineered Johnson's Klear (allegedly) but in a small bottle with the corresponding increase in price.

I do all my painting with a brush or a spray can. Those of us who use airbrushes can get excellent results with Vallejo and matt finishes with Windsor and Newton matt varnish.

If you hunt through this tools and tips section, you will find much information and opinion regarding use and effect of the various varnishes.

• Like 1

Humbrol Cotes are fine, either through airbrush or brush, if thinned. I have never had a problem. With the matt or satin, stir them thoroughly, making sure that all the 'gunge' in the bottom of the jars is mixed in, then decant and thin. Don' overload the brush, and try on a painted scrap piece until you are satisfied with how to work it.

I use Humbrol enamel thinner with them.

Alternately, I occasionally use Liquitex acrylic gloss varnish, brushed on, lay decals down, cover again with the gloss and use matt/satin cote over the top.

As with others I now swear by Johnson Klear.  I'll get photos back showing how enamel polyurethane varnish goes after about 15 years.The yellow continues to brown - yeuch.

Airfix_F-18A_Hornet_002.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
New Photo

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Black Knight said:

Have you tried their Polyurethane line of varnishes ?

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll look into getting some sort of floor varnish then... any suggestions on a matt brush-applied varnish though for use after the decals are on?

Also, I have a B-17 nearly finished which is in natural aluminium (metallic finish). Should I use a gloss varnish to apply the decals then put another layer of gloss varnish to seal them and retain the metallic shine?

There are various suggestions here Adam, for both gloss and matt varnish, all brushable if prepared correctly. As I said, I use the Cotes, thinned with Humbrol enamel thinner. They don't yellow like the old Humbrol tin varnishes. I also sometimes use Liquitex gloss varnish, straight from the bottle, in light coats without overloading the brush. Just don't let it pool, brush thin, and you will get good results. Try out on scrap first.

In regards to floor varnish, I only had luck with 'Future' derivatives (good luck finding them out of the US). Anything else has been (for me) subpar to the Cotes for matt/satin or the Liquitex for gloss.

Edited by sapperastro

2 hours ago, sapperastro said:

There are various suggestions here Adam, for both gloss and matt varnish, all brushable if prepared correctly. As I said, I use the Cotes, thinned with Humbrol enamel thinner. They don't yellow like the old Humbrol tin varnishes. I also sometimes use Liquitex gloss varnish, straight from the bottle, in light coats without overloading the brush. Just don't let it pool, brush thin, and you will get good results. Try out on scrap first.

In regards to floor varnish, I only had luck with 'Future' derivatives (good luck finding them out of the US). Anything else has been (for me) subpar to the Cotes for matt/satin or the Liquitex for gloss.

The only problem with Humbrol is they're quite expensive... went into Hobbycraft today and a 125mL bottle of gloss clear is £5.00! Do you have any clue as to what varnish I should use to preserve the shine of metallic paints btw? :) 

This is Klear over Plasikote Chrome Silver. You will lose a little of the shine - maybe 5%. You can try brushing Windsor and Newton matt varnish, but thin it first. Do a test, as I find it tends to leave a white deposit. Purity Seal will do the same if you don't use light coats, and let them dry in between.

9cf054a5-0ea2-4599-bfe4-416ed8fa07e0.jpg

• Like 1

I usually use satin cote over metallics. Unfortunately, nothing really preserves the exact nature of metallic paint when it comes to topcoats. My layers go; Metallic paint, gloss, decals, gloss, satin.

If you have Klear available, then by all means give it a shot; it is apparently the same as Future.

Humbrol Gloss clear is an acrylic solution. I sometimes use this, but more often the solvent based Gloss Cote in the 28ml bottle. Just know that the Gloss Clear lasts a long time, but again, make sure you only brush light coats and don't overload the brush. It pools very easily due to the self leveling nature.

As for cost, how much is a pot of paint? 1.50? 2? and that is invariably between 12 to 18ml? 125ml for 5 seems ok.

Do Not spend money on Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish in the 128ml bottle. I have heard many stories about how it has too much matting agent and always turns white. There is supposed to be a 'New and Improved' version around that actually works, and it is apparently labeled as such. Again, as with all matt or satin varnishes, stir thoroughly until ALL matting agent (the gunk in the bottle) is mixed into the fluid.

Lastly; Always try on a scrap test bed before using it on your new model. Always.

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, Black Knight said:

Not sure I'd agree. I use Gloss/Matt/Satin cote on everything and they are fine.

Martin

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:28 PM, sapperastro said:

I use Humbrol enamel thinner with them.

Me too

• 4 weeks later...

In the past i have had no problem with Humbrol clear cotes, until now!

My bottle of satin cote finally finished, dropped into LHS and noticed large bottle (125ml) of Humbrol clear satin varnish, thought bargain over cost of smaller bottle. (Also noted it was water based, acrylic?)

Mixed thoroughly and applied with brush over ferengi marauder, to my horror after drying it looked like it had been frosted!!

Tried a second cote, frosting disappeared to reappear when dry, not a happy bunny after all the decal work.

Finally found a Humbrol Gloss cote, (old bottle fixed the problem).

The Varnish seems to be very hit and miss, as followed advice elsewhere, sometimes you can get a good clear cote then on others it frosts.

My bottle is going in the bin.

Anyone recommend a good replacement?

I note that Humbrol still do the 28ml Satin cote on their website, any thoughts on these? have they become poor quality, like some of their recent paint tins.

All the best Chris

Humbrol Clear Matt or Satin, see post above, do NOT use. Too much matting agent. I still use the Clear Gloss from time to time, no issues.

I use the Cotes all the time. Work great, just stir thoroughly and thin appropriately with enamel thinners (I use Humbrol enamel thinners)