SPanking morning at The Heath

Hi all,

I spent time at LN yesterday along with a few other likeminded souls. .

The emphasis of the visit was the see the 480thFS "SP" F-16s, nowadays seen in the same light as the F-4s were viewed in my early days - legacy machines. The first stop was the F-16 flight line to see the aircraft being prepared, crews arriving and the first start-ups and departure. Then off to the "last chance" to catch flying operations, either at the last chance or alongside the runway. We were allowed pretty close to the runway edge, easily enough for photography with a 300mm lens.

Afterwards I sat at the end of the runway for a while until a very heavy shower soaked me! The weather had been variable all day.

And that was it. Attached four images from the day. As you might imagine, there are many to trawl through.

Martin

LN0

LN1

LN2

LN3

• Like 11

I'll put my hands up to be less than a modern jet expert so can anyone telling me what the angular pod is under the port wing? I am presuming the port wing outer is holding a data transmitter for ACT? Then the starboard outer has an AIM-9X? Sorry to appear dumb. They didn't have such things on Super Sabres! ;)

Martin

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'll put my hands up to be less than a modern jet expert so can anyone telling me what the angular pod is under the port wing? I am presuming the port wing outer is holding a data transmitter for ACT? Then the starboard outer has an AIM-9X? Sorry to appear dumb. They didn't have such things on Super Sabres! ;)

Martin

I think it is an HTS pod- High Speed Anti-Radiation Targeting System- the pod detects radars associated with ground to air missiles and is used in conjunction with the HARM missile carried by F-16C's. I have attached a link to photos and description...I had to look it up myself, as I'm not a big authority on modern weenie cookers! As far as I'm concerned, everything after the F-106 is Star Wars stuff! Hope  this helps!

Mike

http://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104602/high-speed-anti-radiation-missile-targeting-system/

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

As far as I'm concerned, everything after the F-106 is Star Wars stuff! Hope  this helps!

Pretty much like me? ;)

thanks, Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Great pics,..... I remember when the F-16 first started flying in SP codes,...... saw them on exercise in Germany in the late 80`s at zero feet and always paired up with an SP Phantom,.... the best low flying that I`ve ever seen from any USAF jets,..... truly outstanding flying,

Cheers

Tony 

The pod under the wing is a training simulator known as an ACMI pod. They are used to simulate radar reflections of enemy aircraft. The Aggressor Squadrons in the Air Force and Navy use them. Look up aggressor photo's on google & you will see them quite a bit.