Micro Set or Mr Mark Setter?

Valleyofvallejo

Depends on the decals. Micro Sol and Micro Set are designed to work better with European/American printed decals with thin carrier films (i.e. those printed by Micro Industries/Cartograf/Fantasy Printshop etc.) and the Mr. Mark Setter and Softer are intended to work better with the thicker Japanese decals included with the likes of Hasegawa and Tamiya kits. However, that's not to say that your suggested combination wouldn't work, it might not be the best combo for the decals being used.

Mark.

I've tried them, but I much prefer to use original formula Klear as a setting solution on top of a dried Klear surface. The decals settle down nicely, helped occasionally with a little dabbing down into crevices or over raised features. Once dry they can look painted on. 

The problem I found with Micro Sol/Set was that they tended to 'melt' the gloss surface coating, but that was my fault for using an inappropriate mix.

This won't be much help to you if you haven't got any Klear of course...

For what it's worth I usually start with the milder Micoscale products (Microset/Microsol) and if these don't quite do the job I'll bring out the Gunze heavy hitters (Mr Mark Softer/Setter). I've had no issues using one over the other in any combination. 

I also believe that the Gunze products are probably more suited to the thicker Asian manufacturers decals, hence their increased potency.

Cheers.. Dave 

IMO Mr Mark Setter is the stronger solution so to answer your question this product is probably the most effective. It is quite strong however so may be 'too' effective for your chosen decal. I've never seen it damage any decal I've used, but others here may have other stories to tell. 

Cheers.. Dave

A few things to consider:

1) Japanese decals are thicker because of the glue. You need to put them in hot water (not boiling hot but definitely more than just warm) so the glue melts. This makes them thinner AND makes them naturally conform to panel lines. I learned this from a post in this forum and since then it has been a life changer!

2) The Mr Mark "Neo" line is the only one sold here in the UK and in Europe and is much milder than the original Japanese formulas which you can only get from Japanese seller. Get the Japanese ones! Even if you have to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery, the Neo line seems to me even weaker than Micro Set/Sol and therefore pretty useless.

3) Mr Mark softer is VERY strong. Be careful if it accumulates as that can burn off acrylic paint easily, even with a Klear coat. Make sure any droplets are brushed off evenly.

Also, personally I've never liked Mr Mark Setter as it has a cloudy composition (like matt coat) that has left marks. Micro Set/Mr Mark Softer is my default combo for Japanese decals.