Revell Lancaster MkIII

My son gifted me a £15 gift voucher for Fathers day and asked what I was going to spend it on and whether or not I was going to buy a model. I'd recently attended a presentation by some chap from Bomber Command and left so inspired that if it was to be a model it just had to be a Lancaster.

Given my budget I opted for Revell's version, a kit I built some years ago for my eldest. I new it was an old KIT but figured at least it will look like a Lancaster. Imagine my surprise when it arrived and I opened the kit to find out that it was a new tooling!!

I wasn't going to post a WIP for the build as they can sometimes become a bit of a distraction and the issue with Photobucket didn't help. Anyway, with thanks to "jrlx" I found that I can use my Onedrive so I changed my mind.

y4ma_dASzwyW89p6sAYHYq_fmWM53yDQxZbP6TyO

• Like 4

23 hours ago, celt said:

I have always liked the Lancaster, I built the old Airfix one but have not built the new Airfix or the new Revell one that you are doing.I will watch with interest.:popcorn::drink:

For 15 quid this kit is a bargain. I've read that in some respects it is superior to the more expensive Airfix.

What I truly like about this kit is that each individual section can be built separately almost as if treating each section as an individual model. That's what I am going to do. Moving onto the port wing.

y4mI3pAtaEoqys9xnGqEzeK2nwLGsEmtIanbNqU5

Wasn't too adventurous showing the engine on this side. Opted for one cowling off, which is just as well because I put the prop drive on upside down.

y4m691ipvhsYp3TXqVykXoox7mXMqW2K7CBk6Acm

• Like 2

On 21/07/2017 at 6:21 PM, Bodmin said:

For 15 quid this kit is a bargain. I've read that in some respects it is superior to the more expensive Airfix.

There was quite a debate on here a while ago about the relative merits of the two kit's.  Having built both I ptrefer the Airfix kit; better (more accurate) cockpit, correct dihedral and escape hatch locations.  I'm not saying that the Revell kit is bad it really is just a matter of preference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stever219 said:

There was quite a debate on here a while ago about the relative merits of the two kit's.  Having built both I ptrefer the Airfix kit; better (more accurate) cockpit, correct dihedral and escape hatch locations.  I'm not saying that the Revell kit is bad it really is just a matter of preference.

Indeed and I have read numerous other articles on this very subject over the last few weeks. The wing dihedral is most certainly the most obvious flaw, but given that I was seriously expecting the older tool version when I ordered it I can honestly say that "bang for buck" this kit is a worthy contender. 

One really nice thing about the Revell kit is its fine surface detail. It might not be 100% accurate but that's the one way I would say it's in fact better than Airfix (I'm not a fan of the quite heavy surface detail of the Airfix kit).

• Like 1

The Airfix kit is indeed the more accurate of the two,but the price of the Airfix kit is :rant:Is the accuracy worth all that extra money?For me no, like stever219 its all a matter of preference.

• Like 1

Nice start mate, it's all about the enjoyment rather than accuracy. Looks like you've got to grips with your air brush.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

Nice start mate, it's all about the enjoyment rather than accuracy. Looks like you've got to grips with your air brush.:thumbsup:

Cheers, getting better by the day, but still no joy with Humbrol Acrylics

4 minutes ago, Howlindawg said:

This is looking very promising - I'll sit back and observe if you don't mind. :popcorn:

Hop aboard Martin. Hoping to make a good job of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bodmin said:

Cheers, getting better by the day, but still no joy with Humbrol Acrylics

Those humbrol Acrylics aren't the thinnest to start with, I've brought a few pots for brush painting with a lot of thinner added to get a decent coverage.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Ozzy said:

Those humbrol Acrylics aren't the thinnest to start with, I've brought a few pots for brush painting with a lot of thinner added to get a decent coverage.

I find they dry too quickly and block my nozzle. Tamiya always work first time for me.

• Like 1

Bit more progress over the week. Started on the Stdb wing in between applying decals to the port. Opted to cut the engine cowlings out of both sides on this engine, but typically the engine didn't fit as snug onto the mounts as it did on the other one. I've slotted the cowlings back in for masking purposes. Needed plenty of filler again :(

y4mMvPOttT94f_DHNykL0SEUrmuszE7Cmejqs4ln

Decals went on ok but I managed to mess up one of the walkway lines, the rear one should be further forward.

y4mNYpDSEvRZMAeNUcWsysWfsyao-0LgHfH9LDfV

Final decals underneath, then after a light weathering I can get the landing gear installed.

y4mXjJkXtPl1iAF2iVAcJO5lWyj3zoE9hvTfbWSo

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looks like you've had a productive afternoon, :goodjob:

Indeed I have, figured I would need something to display it on when I'm done, so I had a practice at making an airfield pan. Didn't turn out too bad for a first attempt.y4mDh_fQodTu7iXJtCqyKwBK2kQOI1XIycVLsLZ4

Edited by Bodmin
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bodmin said:

Decals went on ok but I managed to mess up one of the walkway lines, the rear one should be further forward.y4mNYpDSEvRZMAeNUcWsysWfsyao-0LgHfH9LDfV

If you can't move the offending decal without destroying it or your paintwork would you like me to look and see if I have some spares you could use?  They may be Airfix rather than Revell, but they should (fingers crossed) fit the bill.

I cannot believe that that is Humbrol acrylic yellow you've used (which one, by the way?); the coverage looks too good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

If you can't move the offending decal without destroying it or your paintwork would you like me to look and see if I have some spares you could use?  They may be Airfix rather than Revell, but they should (fingers crossed) fit the bill.

I cannot believe that that is Humbrol acrylic yellow you've used (which one, by the way?); the coverage looks too good. 

It's ok thanks, it's all sealed and bedded in. I'll take the hit. I'm sure many a decal has been put in the wrong place in real life.

You are right not to believe it is Humbrol acrylic yellow, because it is in fact Tamiya X3 Flat Yellow. I try to stay clear of my vast collection of Humbrol acrylics as they are nothing but trouble when I try and put the through my airbrush. They are ok for brush painting.