HMS GLASGOW 1st T26

4scourge7

Whilst not decrying the name Glasgow as it has been carried on a number of good ships, it would be nice to think that there was a bit more imagination than naming ships after cities. I can't help but get a feeling there is a political dimension to this. I suspect that the other ship names will be inherited from the Type 42s and the 3 Batch 2 Type 22's too.

Please excuse my cynicism but at least there are cost savings for the MOD to be made on recycling the ceremonial equipment, such as deck name plates, ship badges and trophies.

:rant:

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Paul E said:

Please excuse my cynicism but at least there are cost savings for the MOD to be made on recycling the ceremonial equipment, such as deck name plates, ship badges and trophies.

:rant:

They've probably still got a job lot of HMS Glasgow cap tallies to get rid of as well!

Dave

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, davecov said:

They've probably still got a job lot of HMS Glasgow cap tallies to get rid of as well!

Dave

That's what one of my colleagues has just said too!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, bootneck said:

And not just cap tallies!

I wonder if I'll ever see the return of this great name in my lifetime?  :shrug:

HMS_Eagle_banner_1000.jpg

I never thought about that; all my Sheffield gizzits are going to devalue if that is one of the names chosen. :huh:

As for a great name like Eagle, who knows? but I suspect not.

So the names of the Type 42s were as follows:

Sheffield, (Also Type 22 Batch 2)

Birmingham,

Newcastle,

Glasgow,

Cardiff,

Coventry, (Also Type 22 Batch 2)

Exeter,

Southampton,

Nottingham,

Manchester,

York,

Edinburgh,

Gloucester.

It is highly unlikely that Bristol will be in the mix because she is the harbour training ship at Whale Island and Belfast as we know sits on the Thames.

London was a name given to a Batch 2 Type22 and a GMD before that. I reckon this is a dead cert particularly as Westminster will be retiring when the Type 26's enter service.

Plymouth, may be? has a good enough reason to be on the list. 

There are other names like Chester, which has resonance with the Battle of Jutland and Jack Travers Cornwell VC, or Lincoln and Salisbury but I don't see these being revived any time soon.

Could be first in a class of 'G's, so we might get a Glorious, Galatea, Gurkha... then perhaps some H's?

Hoping its not just more Towns, we just had them. But I guess these days a lot more people have heard of the city of Glasgow than a love-struck sea-nymph.

• Like 2

HMS Glow Worm would be a worthy name, but I doubt the general populous would know or care about the history.

HMS Ajax would be good too. I'd like to see Royal Oak, Barham and Hood on modern ships, but to my mind those names belong on capital ships only.

HMS Indefatigable would be good.

• Like 1

Vid of the deed.

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I like seeing stuff being built. I look forward to learning the names of the rest of the class. There are so many names which are worthy!

Agreed. :thumbsup2:

Fitting first name of class as well. The city that produced six T45, carrier sections, OPV, and now eight T26, not to mention the long history of RN ships built on the Clyde. 

Giving ship`s place names is outreach to communities across the UK that are paying for them through taxes .

Pretty good move I`d say, along with `about time to` regarding construction, of course.

Happy Days :D

Cheers, Ian

Edited by ian buick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Could be first in a class of 'G's, so we might get a Glorious, Galatea, Gurkha... then perhaps some H's?

Hoping its not just more Towns, we just had them. But I guess these days a lot more people have heard of the city of Glasgow than a love-struck sea-nymph.

I think the fact that they are going to be the city class gives an idea that Glorious, Galetea or any other worthy name will not make it anytime soon.

2 hours ago, ian buick said:

Giving ship`s place names is outreach to communities across the UK that are paying for them through taxes

I take your point but Glasgow no matter how illustrious is a recent name for a ship. It would have been nice to have something different otherwise there will be a perpetual cycle of using the same names over and over again, simply because the navy no longer has that many ships.

Edited by Paul E
Spelling

59 minutes ago, Paul E said:

.. Otherwise there will be a perpetual cycle of using the same names over and over again, simply because the navy no longer has that many ships.

Yep, hole in one.

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

HMS Ajax would be good too. 

Thought Ajax will be the name of the last Astute class SSN.

6 hours ago, Paul E said:

As for a great name like Eagle, who knows? but I suspect not.

If the name Glasgow can drift down from cruiser to destroyer to frigate, we might yet see an OPV named Eagle.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul E said:

I take your point but Glasgow no matter how illustrious is a recent name for a ship. It would have been nice to have something different otherwise there will be a perpetual cycle of using the same names over and over again, simply because the navy no longer has that many ships.

I get, and agree, with what you`re saying; I would have liked Warspite etc.., and maybe even HMS Jellicoe.

But what`s nice must give way to the realpolitik: that keeping people onside by naming ships so that local communities have a `local` vessel can help counteract those commentators who say `everything is on an internet now,  why do we need warships?`. I saw a journo seriously propose this on Sky News recently, without contradiction. Some people actually believe this nonsense.

I don`t know if you saw the same reports in England, as they were on Scottish regional broadcasts, but there was a tangible morale boost on the Clyde, what with guaranteed work for twenty years, and the lead ship being named Glasgow.

I have to say, in this instance, a `political` decision has had some value for the project. Especially if they spread the love around the UK, which I`m sure the beaks will do with subsequent names.

But yes, I do agree it would have been nice to have something evocative like `Dreadnought`, which was a good move for next-gen Trident subs.

Ultimately, huge sigh of relief that this is going ahead, regardless of names. Hurrah! :D

Cheers, Ian

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ian buick said:

Ultimately, huge sigh of relief that this is going ahead, regardless of names. Hurrah! :D

Well half a dozen is a start I suppose ...Glamorgan is another suggestion Devonshire another ...two parts of the nation not visited for a while ...Cambrian,Gambia maybe pure speculation

More likely Cardiff and Plymouth if they wanted to do Wales/South West. Northern ireland is a problem, Belfast is taken and you mention the Derry/Londonderry issue (albeit Londonderry is historic ships name) - so we might be looking at HMS Lisburn, Newry or Armagh!

They have said the other new Trident subs will be names with 'historical resonance' - I'm wondering if Ark Royal may be one

12 hours ago, Paul E said:

I take your point but Glasgow no matter how illustrious is a recent name for a ship.

Not recent at all excluding the latest Type 26, there have already been eight ships called HMS Glasgow in service since 1707 with ten Battle Honours. The previous ships were three sixth-rate ships, two frigates, two cruisers and one destroyer.

Ironically, the first one was a Scottish ship called Royal Mary that was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1707 when Scotland joined the Union! I wonder what would happen if in the future Scotland got their independence - would HMS Glasgow be transferred to Scotland to become Royal Mary......

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecov said:

Not recent at all excluding the latest Type 26, there have already been eight ships called HMS Glasgow in service since 1707 with ten Battle Honours. The previous ships were three sixth-rate ships, two frigates, two cruisers and one destroyer.

Ironically, the first one was a Scottish ship called Royal Mary that was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1707 when Scotland joined the Union! I wonder what would happen if in the future Scotland got their independence - would HMS Glasgow be transferred to Scotland to become Royal Mary......

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was aware that the name Glasgow has a long history and tradition, when I said recent I meant that it was born on a ship in recent years. I know it has been 12 years since the last ship that bore the name, but when you consider that there were 200 years between the last and current ship that bore the name Somerset and you have to wonder whether some of the famous names will ever be revived again.

I will be the first to admit that I am hypocrite on this issue, I have a model in the Ready For Inspection at the moment that I built purely because it bore the name of the village I grew up in. And I will no doubt build a Type 26 model if one receives the name of a city I have a connection with.  

But what really matters, is that these ships are finally under construction after such a long period of procrastination. Role on the Type 31 decision.

P.S.

May be the RN should insure against a future independent Scotland by naming the first Type 31 HMS Sturgeon.................On that low note I shall get my :coat:

Paul

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ian buick said:

But what`s nice must give way to the realpolitik: that keeping people onside by naming ships so that local communities have a `local` vessel can help counteract those commentators who say `everything is on an internet now,  why do we need warships?`. I saw a journo seriously propose this on Sky News recently, without contradiction. Some people actually believe this nonsense.

I don`t know if you saw the same reports in England, as they were on Scottish regional broadcasts, but there was a tangible morale boost on the Clyde, what with guaranteed work for twenty years, and the lead ship being named Glasgow.

Hi Ian,

I totally agree with what you are saying and I am pleased about the project going ahead as some of my ex-colleagues are heavily involved and in truth Glasgow is a worthy name.

As for the "why do we need warships?" question. I am having to deal with that one on a daily basis from technology and robotic geeks who have little concept of the real world outside their  bubbles. It is frustrating having to repeatedly explain what the Navy does to those who live in their own utopian world of the internet.  

Paul.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul E said:

May be the RN should insure against a future independent Scotland by naming the first Type 31 HMS Sturgeon.................On that low note I shall get my :coat:

Paul

I thought about including the "S" word in my post but thought better of it......

Dave

• Like 1

Well, the name Sturgeon has been used before, three times in fact - two destroyers and a submarine: LINK. If we ignore the current negative connotations the name has south of the Border then it has precedent. However, a sub would be more fitting!

Personally, if the Navy had gone for a classical theme, then I would have liked to have seen a Scylla due to the Aberdeen connection.

Mike.;)

Edited by MikeR