Coventry, (Also Type 22 Batch 2)

Exeter,

Southampton,

Nottingham,

Manchester,

York,

Edinburgh,

Gloucester.

It is highly unlikely that Bristol will be in the mix because she is the harbour training ship at Whale Island and Belfast as we know sits on the Thames.

London was a name given to a Batch 2 Type22 and a GMD before that. I reckon this is a dead cert particularly as Westminster will be retiring when the Type 26's enter service.

Plymouth, may be? has a good enough reason to be on the list. 

There are other names like Chester, which has resonance with the Battle of Jutland and Jack Travers Cornwell VC, or Lincoln and Salisbury but I don't see these being revived any time soon.

I would have thought the T42 cities which have been reaffiliated with a T45 or QEC would be last on the list for T26 names, that is until I noticed DEFENDER is already affiliated with Glasgow, wonder whether she will break that link when GLASGOW is commissioned?

T45 affiliations (according to Wiki)

DARING - Birmingham

DAUNTLESS - Newcastle

DIAMOND - Coventry

DRAGON - Cardiff & York

DEFENDER - Exeter & Glasgow

DUNCAN - Belfast & Dundee (not T42 names anyway)

PRINCE OF WALES - Liverpool

I think the silo space aft of the funnel is flexible and more orientated towards the large surface attack missiles or possibly even Sea Viper to be used in conjunction with a Type 45. It appears to be silo space rather than a specific system and may be aimed at the potential export versions who want more bang for the buck.

The Silo aft of the funnel isn't strike length as you can see from the view into the boat bay. The aft silo is for Sea Ceptor and 48 would be a reasonable complement considering T23 has 32 VL Sea Wolf. You will notice that there is no Surface to Surface capability as yet. That is what the Strike length tubes are for. Hopefully a decision to what replaces Harpoon will have been made before the 1st ship enters service. My understanding is that both the Canadians and the Australians are more interested in the Anti Submarine capabilities than any thing else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niall said:

The Sea Ceptor take far less space than Sea Wolf; the Type 23 could fit 128 in place of its 32 Sea Wolf.

Wow, that sounds like a useful increment in combat power.  No doubt someone will be along to in a minute to explain that in fact we're only buying 4 Sea Ceptor per ship. 

5 hours ago, Niall said:

The Sea Ceptor take far less space than Sea Wolf; the Type 23 could fit 128 in place of its 32 Sea Wolf.

You can fit 4 Sea Ceptor in a Mk41 VLS canister which is used by the USN, RAN and RNZN and what T26 is getting for its strike length tubes. Type 23 don't have Mk41 but have specific tubes for each seawolf as I understand from the MBDA data I have seen, it is a one for one replacement.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Early guess at HMS Glasgow`s pennant number.

During yesterday`s news flummery they showed close-ups of steel cut for HMS Glasgow titled `F260`.

On a more dynamic front, footage has been released of the first Sea Ceptor launches aboard HMS Argyll.

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1

HMS Argyll - my last ship. :thumbsup:

Interesting to see that the Sea Ceptor missiles are mounted at a slight angle unlike the previous Sea Wolf system. I wonder if there is a worry that if the rocket motor doesn't ignite after the soft launch there is a chance of the missile coming back to mama?  

Edited by Paul E
wording