Swordfish, Bismarck Attack

Airborne SF

Hello Again All,

I'm continuing work on my 1/32 Trumpeter Swordfish, and am now ready to begin painting.  I would like to model the aircraft that got the rudder hit on Bismarck.  I understand that the aircraft commonly identified as the one that scored the hit may or may not be correct, but I have a few questions regarding the painting.  Any pointers on a corrected aircraft for the hit would be appreciated.  I'd love to hear the other side.  

1.  From things I have read (mainly Mark Horan's article on the kBismarck website and other published stories), the plane is Swordfish 5C from 818 Squadron, s/n L9726 flown by S-Lt John Moffat.

2.  I have ordered IANG's Fleet Air Arm book from Amazon, but it will be several weeks until it gets here.  I am assuming the paint scheme is the S.1.E. scheme of 5 colors, although I have no idea where two of the five colors go.  Hopefully the book will answer that question!

3.  In an older post I read awhile ago IANG mentioned that there were some photos of the Ark Royal's planes including a partial shot of 5C.  Those photo links are no longer functional.  Would it be possible to repost them please?

4.  The bottom color is still Sky-S I assume.  How high does it go on the airplane?  Drawings I have seen show it going to a point two thirds of the way up the fuselage basically to the demarcation line between metal and fabric below the cockpit.

5.  For this time period I understand the 5C would have been moved from the vertical stabilizer to the fuselage just forward of the Royal Navy marking.

6.  Is the demarcation between the colors on the wing tops a hard line (masked) or a soft line (oversprayed)?

7.  In line with what I've seen in photos, I painted the front of the Pegasus engine all black, with silver highlights (faint) on the cooling fins, and an overall brush of wet gunmetal pigment, to give it a metallic sheen.  I assume the inside of the cowling is painted in Sky?

Any comments on what I have posted would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, Airborne SF said:

2.  I have ordered IANG's Fleet Air Arm book from Amazon, but it will be several weeks until it gets here.  I am assuming the paint scheme is the S.1.E. scheme of 5 colors, although I have no idea where two of the five colors go.  Hopefully the book will answer that question!

The top of the fuselage, top of the upper wing and top of the tailplanes and elevators is camouflaged in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey. To try to reduce the effects of shadow, the top of the lower wing is camouflaged in the same pattern as the upper wing but in the lighter shades of Dark Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey. :yes:

38 minutes ago, Airborne SF said:

Hello Again All,

1.  From things I have read (mainly Mark Horan's article on the kBismarck website and other published stories), the plane is Swordfish 5C from 818 Squadron, s/n L9726 flown by S-Lt John Moffat.

Mark Horan and I have a pretty complete draft of a book on air operations against Bismarck, based on extensive primary research, and Mark no longer holds the view that it was Moffat's plane that hit Bismarck's rudder. Mark finished his sections years ago, and is waiting for me to finish mine......

As for markings, most of Ark Royal's Swordfish were Fairey produced aircraft and would have been finished in scheme S1E, based on the five colous Jamie describes above (EDSG and Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey  and Light Slate Grey over Sky-Grey) and camouflaged by units in service (so significant variation between aircraft over time). The three Swordfish squadrons on Ark Royal also had very distinct markings with respect to the size and position of codes, which hopefully you'll see from the photos in my book. In addition there were a small number of Blackburn produced Swordfish on Ark Royal and these were all finished in TSS (EDSG, DSG and Sky), and camouflaged by the manufacturer, with Blackburn's unique sweeping curves demarcation (which many modeller's get wrong). The upper/lower surface demarcation between tailplane and wings is one curve and another is formed between wing and nose. All Blackburn Swordfish originally finished in TSS had this unique demarcation, which makes them recognisable even if the serial cannot be seen.

HTH

IG

Edited by iang
  • Like 3

I quite fancy the Tamiya 1/48 Swordfish MkI but with my recent disappointment with the Upper wing assembly of the Roden Sea Gladiator I'm not so sure...  Does the wing align and attach well in the Tamiya kit?  Im not sure if I would go for the Bismark action or Taranto Action - But if Ians book is coming out, it could well be a decider...  When is the book out Ian?