Blackburn Iris & Perth info assistance requested

JOCKNEY

Bristol Boy and I are undertaking the building of these Biplane Flying Boats in the forthcoming Flying Boats and Floatplanes Group Build.

As they are both Vacform kits, neither of them provide much in the way of additional parts that allow the kits to be finished with the appropriate amount of detail required to make them look their best. Therefore can I ask if anyone has built either of these before what sources of information are about to get period detailed photos of interior and exterior etc. Also any tips on the building of them greatfully received as I have only built one other Vacform prior to this.

many thanks Pat

A quick search here didn't raise anything other than odd news items and photos:

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html

but a more concentrated effort may yield results.  Best to narrow down the search years as best you can.  Some aircraft got really detailed write-ups complete with structural sketches and GA drawings, photos are a bit so-so due to the original reproduction and then digitising.

You may well waste several enjoyable hours finding out things about completely different planes to what you intend.

You could try contacting the modeller of these, I'm not sure if he's on Britmodeller as well as ATF & UAMF - he used to turn up at Yeovilton model shows (and would enthusiastically encourage the purchase of vacforms), I can't remember if he made it to the Bovvie replacement in Feb. https://rareplanes.jimdo.com/contrail/ includes the Perth and Iris.

My favourite flying boat is the Southampton Mk.II but I don't fancy the Contrail prices, and I don't fancy the resin option....yet.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

A few reasonable shots in The Blackburn Aircraft Company by Malcolm Hall (Chalgrove, 1996)

- 2 of Iris I (1 built)

- 3 of Iris III (4 built)

- 3 of Perth (4 built) plus close up of 37mm COW gun installation in nose.

- 2 of Sydney (1 built - effectively a monoplane version of the Iris II)

- shot of incomplete cockpit plus 2 shots of the passenger interior of the Blackburn Nile, a cancelled civil version of the Sydney.

Smallish shots but may be of some use (no close-ups) in A J Jackson's Blackburn Aircraft since 1909 (Putnam, 1989):

- 1 of Iris I

- 4 of Iris II

- 1 of Iris III

- 2 of Iris IV

- 2 of Iris V

- 5 of Perth

Actually the Perth shots are not that bad.  The best is given as Flight photo 13793 so a rummage around the Flight artchive might yield results.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

On 19/07/2017 at 2:42 PM, Seahawk said:

A few reasonable shots in The Blackburn Aircraft Company by Malcolm Hall (Chalgrove, 1996)

- 2 of Iris I (1 built)

- 3 of Iris III (4 built)

- 3 of Perth (4 built) plus close up of 37mm COW gun installation in nose.

- 2 of Sydney (1 built - effectively a monoplane version of the Iris II)

- shot of incomplete cockpit plus 2 shots of the passenger interior of the Blackburn Nile, a cancelled civil version of the Sydney.

Smallish shots but may be of some use (no close-ups) in A J Jackson's Blackburn Aircraft since 1909 (Putnam, 1989):

- 1 of Iris I

- 4 of Iris II

- 1 of Iris III

- 2 of Iris IV

- 2 of Iris V

- 5 of Perth

Actually the Perth shots are not that bad.  The best is given as Flight photo 13793 so a rummage around the Flight artchive might yield results.

Hi Seahawk

Thanks very much for the info, I've treated myself to the Hall book, new £7 including postage what's not to like ! The link to flight magazine archive is a dangerous thing, far too much temptation to look at other things, then it's suddenly 1am !

However I did find this photo which is really interesting, although it also raises other questions (don't they always :hmmm:)

Looks like 4 blade props not 2 as in the kit, also the canopy has sliding panels like a sunroof and all the footprints painted on the wing surfaces.

Still haven't found interior photos, so the search continues

Cheers Pat

• 1 month later...

Found this in the Blackburn Perth

The amount of rigging looks immense, without wishing to go off topic,  :offtopic: has anyone got tips or links for how to do rigging and what to use etc ?

cheers Pat