Su-34 - Trumpeter 1/72 scale kit

Following the 'comparison' thread - I have made a start on building the Trumpeter 1/72 scale Su-34.....

I won't post pics of the sprues - they are available elsewhere and here  - just progress photos of the build.

The cockpit is quite comprehensive - with a separate door in the rear bulkhead..... but note those ejection pin marks in the structure behind the seats.

su-34_036.jpg

Similarly, the nosewheel bay looks accurate - complete with two-parts for the sliding access hatch.....

su-34_037.jpg

The K-36 ejection seats are quite simplified - I would replace them if the cockpit was open - but they are acceptable given the closed cockpit...

su-34_039.jpg

Trumpeter even provide the rudder pedals and very nice control collums - decals are provided for the front and side instrument panels - although the starboard panel curled up on me and I couldn't get it straight...:woot.gif:

su-34_040.jpg

Note the rear door - which I have posed open.

su-34_041.jpg

The nosewheel bay in place - although not mentioned in the instructions, the front access hatch can be clicked in place and made to slide open.....

su-34_042.jpg

Open....

su-34_043.jpg

Closed....

su-34_044.jpg

View into the wheel bay.... note the sliding front hatch.

su-34_045.jpg

Top and bottom fuselage halves glued together.....

su-34_046.jpg

I have made an attempt at re-profiling the nose to make it sharper - with moderate success......

su-34_047.jpg

It isn't 100% - but it looks much better - I might shave a bit more off to make the 'beak' sharper - but without going through the plastic!!...

Re-shaped Trumpeter nose compared to the Italeri nose....

su-34_048.jpg

More later...

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 6

Some progress......

The aperture for the APU intake has to be drilled out..... not something you should have to do on such an expensive kit!

su-34_049.jpg

The mesh grille part is fitted. Note that Trumpeter haven't included the APU outlet though.

su-34_050.jpg

I used a short length of scrap plastic to stop the mesh part falling inside....

su-34_051.jpg

There is a join to fill where the tailboom attaches....

su-34_052.jpg

.... and try as I might, I could not get the tailboom to go forward far enough - leaving gaps on the underside.

su-34_053.jpg

The good news is... the fins are cleverly designed with side panels to eliminate a joint - they fit perfectly.

su-34_054.jpg

More later...

Ken

• Like 3

That is looking good Ken. I've hummed & hahhed about buying one of these, the dodgy politics of the owners not withstanding, both kits seemed to have issues but you seem to be making the ones on this kit seem not insurmountable. I can see a NEED forming up in the wings. :)

Steve.

Exactly the same seats as the ones in the 1/72 Trumpeter MiG-29.

Looks interesting so far, with the iffy engineering. Funny how some Trumpeter parts don't line up, and they go and over engineer some areas & give loads of surface detail but some obvious parts need re-working. Was thinking about ditching my Italeri kit for this, I'll keep an eye on this and will wait and see.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

The Trumpeter intakes really capture the complex internal shape - but they are overly complex and the plastic is very thin.

It took me a long time to work out how the parts went together from the instruction diagram - lots of dry fitting to figure them out - but I got there in the end....

I also painted the insides before assembly - you can't get at them afterwards.........

su-34_055.jpg

The fit isn't brilliant either - filler needed along one seam.

When it came to fitting the assembled intakes to the fuselage - there was another problem. The mating surface on the fuselage bottom was slightly bowed - so the intakes only made contact at either the front or rear - they could see-saw in the middle.

I think this is due to the main undercarriage bay walls not fitting flush - I had to first clamp and glue the intakes at the front first - and when the glue had set, then clamp and glue the rear ends.....

Fronts glued in place.....

su-34_056.jpg

.... followed by the rears.....

su-34_057.jpg

.... but it still needed filler on the rear join....

su-34_058.jpg

If I were to make another Trumpeter Su-34, I might try to fit the intakes to the lower fuselage moulding BEFORE glueing the upper and lower fuselage halves together - at least that way would make it easier to clamp and glue (and probably eliminate the 'bowing')

The whole fuselage assembly is very flexible and feels unusually delicate.

Ho-hum.....:bandhead2:

Ken

• Like 2

Some more.....

Cockpit coaming, wing fences, flaperons and rudders added - although they are separate parts, the rudders and flaperons are not 'posable' - unless the mounting tabs are modified.

su-34_059.jpg

Underside view showing the small amounts of filler needed - note the straight-edged fillet added to the LERX on production Su-34's.

su-34_060.jpg

Ken

• Like 1

The latest production Su-34 has a very visible set of blinds that roll up and down inside the side windows - with a semi-circular blind that folds up from the top of the instrument panel....

su-34_063.jpg

Trumpeter make no provision for this prominent feature - so, to be really accurate, they need to be added.

I'm using hoops cut from plastic card fitted inside the clear canopy .........

su-34_061.jpg

Once they are painted I'll add the blinds - made from thin white plastic card.

I did the same on my Italeri Su-34 update.......

Photo%20030.JPG

Also missed by Trumpeter are the fillets between the leading edge wing tip and ECM pods when they are fitted.........

su-34_062.jpg

Small additions - but they are there if you know where to look.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I've just resurrected this one - from a few months ago...........

su-34_064.jpg

Canopy fitted and masked with Tamiya tape. Why can't Trumpeter provide self-adhesive masks like Modelsvit ??

su-34_065.jpg

su-34_066.jpg

Final primer coat - now ready for painting.

Ken

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Meanwhile.... back at the Su-34 ..... it has now emerged from the paint shop....

su-34_067.jpg

I used the AKAN Su-34 set - and I am pleased with the resluts.

su-34_068.jpg

There are a few areas in need of a touch-up - and I broke off the port upper wing fence.....

su-34_069.jpg

Underside view.

Next up is the decals, undercarriage and weapons.

Ken

• Like 1

• 1 month later...