'Ghost Planes' - Arghhh - Where are the crew???

BIG X

In many ways, 'old Airfix' got it right.

They had a few standard aircrew figures that they used in many kits.

We often laughed at the 'protecting the Crown Jewels' pilot; but he was often really well defined.

The old Airfix Halibag has a full crew. Yes, one in particular looks very scary, but the rest are ok.

The Do 17 E/F has nice aircrew.

Matchbox, again, appear to have produced standard, but nicely detailed, figures.

Their Dornier Do G has lovely figures.

Maybe modern manufacturers simply could standardise on a few universally applicable figures, just like in the early years of the hobby?

Even early 60's Revell 1/72 aircraft kits had great pilot figures, WWI and WWII.

Best regards 

TonyT

• Like 4

I personally throw them all in the bin.

There's no such thing as an appropriate standard figure. Each air force used different uniforms, equipment, helmets etc and in many cases different roles and theatres within a single air force and time period had different garb again. Each kit would need to have figures specifically sculpted to be accurate for that type/time period/service/theatre. They'd also need realistic poses. Most of us still would throw them in the bin though because we prefer to model the cockpit as well as we can and have it all visible. Like many I prefer the manufacturers to stick to the aircraft itself.

I think an aftermarket pilot set would be a very poor investment for any business. Most modellers are anti-aftermarket anyway. Most modellers also actively do not want pilot figures. By the time you've filtered out those who do not use aftermarket out of priniciple, then filtered out from those left all those who wouldn't use figures if they had them, let alone buy more - the market for figures is tiny. And as above, each figure tooled and manufactured is inappropriate for the vast majority of potential subjects.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I personally throw them all in the bin.

If they're 1:48th and 1930s-1940s, I'll take them off your hands!

I'm sure that there are at least a couple of others here who would too!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mainly28s said:

If they're 1:48th and 1930s-1940s, I'll take them off your hands!

I'm sure that there are at least a couple of others here who would too!

A very considered comment and very true too.  If your a 'trader' - like @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  is - and you actually sell 1/48 resin pilot figures...

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/pilot-figures

...then why throw sales in the bin - flog 'em at £1 a piece - plus P+P of course ;)

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A very considered comment and very true too.  If your a 'trader' - like @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  is - and you actually sell 1/48 resin pilot figures...

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/pilot-figures

...then why throw sales in the bin - flog 'em at £1 a piece - plus P+P of course ;)

Those are nice looking figures, particularly the Russian. Unfortunately my painting would render then 'less nice looking'.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Those are nice looking figures, particularly the Russian. Unfortunately my painting would render then 'less nice looking'.

Hey - I don't mind doing a bit of free advertising for a trader ;)

• Like 1

Big x and others Its a shame. I have a collection of pilots, Both WW2 and cold war types. They consist mostly of Tamiya, Hasegawa, and one very lonely forlorn airfix spitfire pilot type with a missing arm. I currently have two Tamiya Spitfire pilots flying out of Britain and one Tamiya north africa Med. type who seems to be wearing shorts while flying. I personally dont use pilots as i try to detail cockpits and leave them ready to go. But i dont throw them away. I have them in a bag stored with all my other extras. Heres the kicker. Im in the states. Youre in the UK so im not sure if that'll help you. 

Dennis

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I don't throw them away.

Dennis

Well done Dennis - top man!!!

Thanks for getting us back on topic too ;)

You could send them UPS - but I've just remembered...

...look what happened the last time Tom Hanks flew UPS - Castaway!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well there aren't any named Wilson that im aware of.  Thought it was Fed ex ?

Ha Ha - I just like to blame UPS for everything- they are rubbish...

...but yes you are right - it was Fed Ex - great movie too.

Well the new aircrew have arrived at Luftwaffe Bomber HQ – somewhere in Northern France – 1940.  They are proving to be a troublesome bunch already – with many not even able to speak German.

They are being allocated aircraft later today…

2 – BF110

4 – JU88

4 – DO17

This leaves 3 crew unallocated for now – but a HE111 is expected soon.

Thanks Gorby - you are a star as usual.

• Like 1

just read this.

I don't use air crew so if anyone still needs / wants and in 1/48 let me know.

I have:

airfix stuka

airfix mosquito fb vi (x2 sets)

tamiya spitfire vb

tamiya spitfire mk i

airfix spitfire xii

airfix hurricane (i think)

tamiya beaufighter (think it comes with crew)

I can;t remember if the other kits I've got come with crew or not....

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

just read this.

I don't use air crew so if anyone still needs / wants and in 1/48 let me know.

I have:

airfix stuka

airfix mosquito fb vi (x2 sets)

tamiya spitfire vb

tamiya spitfire mk i

airfix spitfire xii

airfix hurricane (i think)

tamiya beaufighter (think it comes with crew)

I can;t remember if the other kits I've got come with crew or not....

err - hello - over here :bye:

20 minutes ago, BIG X said:

err - hello - over here :bye:

Ahhhh - I thought you had filled your squadron's requirements ;)

If you want any of them PM me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Well the new aircrew have arrived at Luftwaffe Bomber HQ – somewhere in Northern France – 1940.  They are proving to be a troublesome bunch already – with many not even able to speak German.

They are being allocated aircraft later today…

2 – BF110

4 – JU88

4 – DO17

This leaves 3 crew unallocated for now – but a HE111 is expected soon.

Thanks Gorby - you are a star as usual.

Glad to hear the troop carrier arrived safely. It would have been damn bad luck for those U-Boat jonnies to get them – particularly as they didn't travel by sea.

As they were mostly Brit's, Yank's, Jap's and Russkie's, they didn't get time for German language lessons before their posting to the new base. The officers have probably stirred up trouble with the enlisted men as they complained bitterly about the 2nd class travel arrangements. Just sit them down (after applying glue) and give them a good talking to (while the glue sets) I doubt they'll give you much trouble after that. Glad to be rid of the colourless, inanimate bunch.

• Like 1

Well would you believe it - a couple of them are already complaining to Herman Goering that they can't be expected to win this battle with the aircraft provided.  Old Hermy was most considerate and asked them what they needed - but nearly choked when they replied 'a squadron of spitfires' - cheeky beggars :lol:

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Old Hermy was most considerate

Fat Hermann considerate? He's usually the one complaining. It only seems like yesterday he was whining about the P-51's over Berlin. I mean, we make the effort to go over to visit, and he can't even crack a smile. :pilot:

• Like 1

A BIG THANK YOU to @Lawzer who is sending me some more aircrew :thanks:

I think we will need to commandeer that nice French Chateau at the end of the airfield - to house all these brave boys...

• Like 2

For the 1/72 ones I sometimes perform a little radical surgery. Arms, legs, heads, allsorts get cut off and reposed.

Sometimes I'll make a 'Frankenpilot'.

A little Milliput can go a long way in 1/72, to change the look of a uniform. Many of my crew have swapped passports. Lots of Russians defected to Spai,n in the late 1930's section of my old collection :D.

It would be good to see some of your new recruits.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I'm a bit short on 1/72 1950's Soviet jet pilots. I just had to give an old one very drastic surgery:

IMG_6558.jpg

:o!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gorby said:

...they were mostly Brit's, Yank's, Jap's and Russkie's, they didn't get time for German language lessons before their posting to the new base...

After the Führer heard that the British had enlisted help from - Australia, Barbados, Belgium, Canada, Czechoslovakia, France, Ireland, Jamaica, Newfoundland, New Zealand, Northern Rhodesia, Poland, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia & United States - he flew into a rage...

...so this motely crew will boost the ranks of the Luftwaffe and offer a definite 'International flavour' to proceedings. :lol:

• Like 1

HI, all,

Actually, planes spent most of their time without a person sitting in the cockpit.

A landed plane looks more "incorrect" with a pilot in "piloting attitude", than with an empty cockpit. Not to speak with a gunner "manning battle stations" with gun deployed.

FErnando

46 minutes ago, Fernando said:

HI, all,

Actually, planes spent most of their time without a person sitting in the cockpit.

A landed plane looks more "incorrect" with a pilot in "piloting attitude", than with an empty cockpit. Not to speak with a gunner "manning battle stations" with gun deployed.

FErnando

Hey Fernando - unless it has missed your attention - I do mine wheels up :D

So I have to say my planes look more 'incorrect' when they have 'landed' with their wheels up :mental:

They also look 'incorrect' flying without a crew :doh:

See the first post in the thread :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Fernando - unless it has missed your attention - I do mine wheels up :D

So I have to say my planes look more 'incorrect' when they have 'landed' with their wheels up :mental:

They also look 'incorrect' flying without a crew :doh:

See the first post in the thread :)

Well, you failed to notice that I clearly spoke of "landed" planes... Regards

37 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Well, you failed to notice that I clearly spoke of "landed" planes... Regards

...which I'm not doing - enough said ;) 

• Like 1