Airliner building projects

hi everyone, I am interested in others' approaches to building airliner models.

Do you have a framework or concept, like all the variants of 737, or all the fleet of a particular airline, or something?

Mine is to try to build a collection that has:

. one of each type of airliner I've been on (including subvariants like 737-400, -500, -700 etc)

. in the scheme of an airline I flew it on

. without replicating any airlines

. and ideally in 1/200 (which makes it a bit hard with anything non-Boeing bar the A320).

I've had this in mind forever but am just beginning it now, with the 787-9 in ANA markings I recently bought and started, and the A320 I mentioned in another thread. I also have a Lufthansa 735 and an Air China 738 partly built. Over the years I've flown commercial quite a lot, so the only current types I am missing are the A318, A350 and 737-600. I am imagining I can build a 318, 319 and 321 by messing around with the A320 kit but I guess there is nothing else in Airbus in 1/200 (except maybe the A300, and I haven't flown on an A310).

Anyone else have a crazy scheme like this? Or know of any boutique manufacturers of airliners in 1/200 other than Hasegawa?

thanks!

• Like 1

I've always liked building airliner models but in recent years I shied away from them. However, in the past few months I've rekindled my interest in the genre. My particular area of interest at the moment are airliners of the 50s and 60s and airliners I remember from my keen plane spotting days of the 1970s

Almost completed is  BEA Airtours Comet 4B (Airfix) and coming along is a Welsh Models Handley Page Herald destined to be completed in the colours of BIA..

As you may notice, my preferred scale is 1/144 - which is linked to my love for the original Airfix Skyking range of airliners (the Comet began life as part of that range).

This is a great time for airliner modelling. There are an unprecedented number of kit manufactures now including 1/144 airliners in their ranges (Airfix, Revell, Roden, Zevzda, Minicraft, F-RSIN, Welsh Models etc) and there are also a vast array of great quality decal sheets covering all eras.

We've never had it so good.

• Like 1

I don't think I could ever work to a theme, it would just be too restrictive although I generally focus on European airlines from the end of WW2 because that's what I'm most familiar with. I stick to 1/144 because of the much greater availability and also because advancing age inevitably means deteriorating eyesight!

If I live long enough I will eventually build a model from each of the former European "flag carrier" airlines (BA, KLM, AF, LH, Iberia, TAP etc) but that's about as far I'll ever go with a theme.

• Like 1

Well despite the fact I've gone on a splurge and bought lots of kits since March, I have managed to mainly stick to my theme . Like Eric I'm looking to recapture the days of my spotting youth , in my case round Glasgow Airport . So I have three Viscounts , one of which will be Cambrian Orange Livery, 2 737s for Britannia Hockey Stick and Aer Lingus , 2  Vanguards for both BEA red square and Speedjack . 1 Comet currently destined to be Airtours , but I fancy a Dan Air red tail one too . 2 707 300s one for Donaldson as in previous post, not sure about other yet . Trident 1 and 3 both destined for Speedjack and a BAC 1-11 in BUA final livery . 

Got an Inex Adria DC9 that took me on holiday to Porec in 1979  and possibly the biggest departure from my spotting days a Revel A380 to be in BA livery as it took me on my last holiday to Miami.

Missing are BEA red square Trident ,BCAL 1-11 and BIA Herald, Eric's referring too. Vacuum kits probably a bit beyond me at moment .my background is late 60s , early 70s Airfix Skykings range 

My indulgences are a Roden BOAC. super VC10 , and an Airfix BOAC 707 , although I did see them at Prestwick, I just love the BOAC colours though  and a Standard VC10 destined for BUA. Never saw it in real life, but I remember reading an article on it in Air Pictorial. Finally 2 DC8 63s one of which I'd like in JAL livery because I saw a model,one in Variety Stores Paisley 45 years ago and I always wanted one! Well got to indulge yourself, no one else will! 

Of course got to actually start building them . 

Edited by Rb277170
  • Like 2

Cool, some nice themes there. I agree that 1/144 is probably a better scale but until just very recently I have always been living in tiny apartments. A 777 or 747 in 1/200 is already pretty big and if my collection ever happens I will have 3x 747 as well as at least one 777 and 787, before I even work out how to get an A380, 340, and 330! That said I've built the old Airfix BAC 1-11 and I do have both the Comet and Vanguard (or Viscount, which is it again?) too. And the Revell Concorde, already finished (and not part of my theme sadly for me)

My collection of built 1/200 airliners includes a JAL 777-300ER, an old style ANA 737-200, and an old style SAS DC-9.

• Like 1

I did have 2 themes, the predictable planes I've flown on . And because I briefly worked with Air UK, liveries of airlines within their family tree, eg Air Anglia or Buzz, KLMuk etc

incresingly though it's what I like, and more often how I like

I'm in the process of building all types operated by Piedmont Airlines and Midway Airlines (Version 2.0, with the yellow tails), including commuters. I guess my other theme is "Wow, that airliner looks great in that livery." Unfortunately, this leads to purchases of models for which decals are not made for that particular livery, so I end up with a closet full of unbuilt airliners. :D

Ben

When I came back to airliner modelling after a 12 year break,I had the idea of building one of each jet airliner to represent something of a history.

When I found out about the huge aftermarket stuff thats available,some types of airliners increased heavily in the numbers.

Out of 1 Boeing 747 became 30,1 DC-10 became 10...and so on and so on...

So its quite difficult to just focus in on one project.

So what I do is trying to build airliners and airlines I had flew on or saw at the airports and I grew also an interest in special liveries or rare airlines,like Air Nauru or exotic airlines.

My stash keeps growing despite many projects that are on the go...

I just bought a 1/200 747-400 (the Japanese air force one boxing) and some Air China decals. But then of course I realised I hadn't checked whether the engines are right. They look so, by pics. Does anyone know a readily accessible list of which airlines used which engines on their 747 400s? I just wasted/spent 2 hours googling that with no joy!

Hi,

The info is available on www.planespotters.net but be prepared to search for it! As far as I can see you have to search for each individual airframe and it'll tell you which engines that aircraft has. I don't think you can search for engine type.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ian

I had a quick poke around Plane Spotters and found the JASDF aircraft are GE CF-6 equipped and the Air China aircraft are Pratt & Whitteny PW4000 equipped

Edited by TrojanThunder
Change China Airlines to Air China - Link was already correct

Yes,China Airlines uses Pratt&Whitney engines on their 747-400s.

There might be some aftermarket engines available.I know that there are RollsRoyce engines available for the -400 but I dont know for other engines.

Hasegawa released their -400 kits with General Electric and RollsRoyce engines depending on the airline decals included in the box

Thanks very much! BTW Air China and China Airlines are two different things. Air China is the People's Republic of China, ie China, flag carrier; China Airlines is the Republic of China airline, ie Taiwan.

But it looks like I need a new plan! Grrr!

So I guess the next one is, anyone can recommend a place to get PW resin engines? Given that the 747 kit was only $16 and the decal sheet about $3, maybe my better bet is to just get a new kit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Thanks very much! BTW Air China and China Airlines are two different things. Air China is the People's Republic of China, ie China, flag carrier; China Airlines is the Republic of China airline, ie Taiwan.

So I guess the next one is, anyone can recommend a place to get PW resin engines? Given that the 747 kit was only $16 and the decal sheet about $3, maybe my better bet is to just get a new kit!

Oops...just saw the mistake:sorry: got them mixed up while reading all threads here...anyway both Air China and China Airlines use Pratt&Whitney engines on their -400s.

Maybe you look on ebay.There is a seller from Hongkong called kitshobby.He might have some but I am not sure.The seller is very reliable and has lots of items

• Like 1

My current project is British Airliners Imperial Airways through BOAC BEA and BA. All in 144

Now built are

HP42

Short C class Empire

AW Atlanta

DH91 Albatross

DC3

Airspeed Ambassador

HP Hermes

Stratocruiser

Constellation

Britannia

Comet

Trident

VC10

Concorde

in progress

Viscount

My original intent was to stick to aircraft of British manufacture but who can resist a Concorde or the Queen of the Skies 747

I think Concorde is pretty much British enough (yes, I know the Frenchies had a hand in it too).

My main theme is stuff what I like from the 30s to the early 80s,  with an emphasis on British and Irish operators and stuff I remember from my youth.. My current completed list is -

Boeing 707 - Aer Lingus (1968 or so)

Lockheed Super Constellation - Aerlinte Eireann (1958 ish)

De Havilland Comet 4B - BEA AIrtours (1973)

Douglas DC-4 - Aer Turas (1966)

In progress is a BIA Handley Page Herald and an Aer Lingus Boeing 737-248.

7 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

My link was to Air China but I typed China Airlines for some reason, all fixed now :D

10 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Oops...just saw the mistake:sorry: got them mixed up while reading all threads here...anyway both Air China and China Airlines use Pratt&Whitney engines on their -400s.

Maybe you look on ebay.There is a seller from Hongkong called kitshobby.He might have some but I am not sure.The seller is very reliable and has lots of items

Haha no worries I am not at all offended! On reflection my Chinese sounding user name and my comment might have made me sound like I had a personal stake. Not at all! 

I do live and work in China in government affairs and certain officials are all over a slip of the tongue like that, I've probably just internalised it! 

Anyway I know kitshobby he's a great vendor. I found the engines on contrail though, I think that's the best way forward.

I have also flown on a KLM -400, and decals are available from DRAW, but getting the right shade of blue is more daunting than switching the engines.

• Like 2