MERDc camo M-60, summer verdant & tropical verdant

Davide Calzolari

snmmp4.jpg

"once upon a time there was the cold war...""

anyone has color pix where where shown the difference in the real thing between an M-60 in summer verdant and another one in tropical verdant?ive found something on google image but nuttin could work so properly for my m-60a3 tamya to paint :) in practice ive found only some in summer verdant(that with the thin dirt white stripes) not the else one that seems impossible to find

any help appreciated

Edited by Davide Calzolari

The most common scheme used was the Winter Verdant. The Summer verdant was less common and the Tropical Verdant very rare - possibly only used by a few USMC units based in the Pacific. I seem to remember that the old Tamiya M151 MUTT with TOW Launcher included a Tropical Verdant scheme and it was credited to a USMC unit. Their LVTP7A1 kit also included the Tropical Verdant scheme which would tend to confirm a bias towards USMC units (possibly those based in Japan?).

That would mean you couldn't paint an M60A3 in the scheme as the USMC only used the M60A1 and never upgraded to the A3.

The original plan was that the major colours could be repainted during the year to match the terrain/vegetation, but most units didn't have the time or the inclination to do so.

Cheers,

Centaur

• Like 1

On 19/07/2017 at 10:50 AM, italian intruder said:

hi  centaur, still thnx

ive find something fo interesting even if not m-60 related :)

enjoy  tropicla verdant on the famous usmc little elefant :)

125jck9.jpg

That photo doesn't make sense. The USMC personnel are wearing modern MARPAT camouflage and it is a completely different timeframe to the MERDC scheme (about 20 years different). Those AAVP7s are not USMC vehicles. They are also original A1 variants and haven't been upgraded in any way. My guess is that they are modern Brazilian vehicles.

The Grey and Red Desert schemes were used, as were the Winter options, but never as extensively as the Winter/Summer Verdant schemes - my personal favourite of all the MERDC options was the Grey Desert option.

Cheers,

Centaur

On 20/07/2017 at 11:43 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Centaur ... not an expert but i think the korean marines, indonesians, Thailand, and possibly the Phillipines use the Amphib's so its possible they are on an exercise with US Marines. 

Yep - so do the Italians, Argentines and the Spanish. However, a lot of those countries have upgraded their Amtracs to a similar standard to the USMC so it becomes difficult to be certain. I went for Brazilian because they seem to have been slower to upgrade their 'tracs. Happy to be proved wrong though :)

Cheers,

Centaur

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the early '90's my police department took possession of some surplus US Army trucks. They were actually painted in the Summer Verdant scheme as delivered. I am currently building a M60A1 in Gray Desert . The USMC used those at 29 Palms. 

G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AgentG the lighter green above is not so much..punk & yellowish ?seems really the interior green WWII

..i've done my m-60A3 with a green defintaley more darker, like medium green of usaf in the SEa..

It looks to me as if the camo in that photo was sprayed on. See the soft edges? The size of black portions on that tank would be subject to the width of the spray pattern. Normally they wouldn't be so large, they would have been hand painted by whatever brush could be found.

Always remember, we as modelers strive for perfection.  Perfect fit perfect color, perfect camo when in real life it was anything but.

G

• Like 2