Su-85 from miniart 1/35

Great weathering Steve. I was going to recommend that you look at the SVSM site for photos, but when I checked, there are no SU-85's on here, only SU-100's. Apart from the gun, I don't know what other differences there are.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks John. Err I wouldn't have a clue. Other than a t34 and a KV1 I've never touched Russian armour. I think the problem with the su85 is that it was quickly superceeded by the t34/85 with the same gun... 

im not even sure many manufactures make a su85 kit as I only seem to find miniart kits. 

I still have reference photos I took from inside a t34/85 and have noted it's incredibly similar Being built on the t34 chassis it's almost identical inside except loosing the hull machine gunners seat (now ammo storage) 

i hope to continue tonight with some....

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Superb work. I love the super-detailing and the weathering especially.

I too use Humbrol Weathering Powders a lot. In fact I probably use them too much... as not only dry weathering powders, but as washes diluted with water, or thinners, or varnishes, and even Microsol/Decalfix and Thin Liquid Poly.

However, I do find that applying acrylic varnishes over 'dry brushed' powder (with an airbrush) can sometimes wash it off by some unacceptable amount. So, what do you use to fix your 'dry brushed' powder?

Rearguards,

Badder

@Badder 

if I've dry brushed things on I tend to use a top coat of Matt varnish sprayed on. 

Depending on what paint I'm using afterward depends on if it is acrylic varnish or enamel varnish to help prevent the dilution. However be sure to remember any removal of the under layers for chipping etc need to be done before this stage or else be impossible.

humbol also do a product called clearcote but I find it too thick 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more done today. 

Time for this slipped away the past week as I had my daughter come to stay for a week. 

(Any NRPs in these parts? Can be tough on the little one she will be 3 come September... but already nuts about tanks... aldershot military museum last week and she loved it!) aaaannnyyyway... back to the topic in hand. 

After rectifyig a stupid mistake from the last entry(middle fuel tank ((the triangular one)) should have been 3rd not middle) 

then i I spilt all my liquid thin cement over my cutting board which ruined another session for me 🙄😢!! Luckily it didn't get on the kit or sprus so no real damage done. 

Fittig these flat packed lower hulls together can be a tricky business. I've had to find my calm thoughts in certain moments 👊🙏 

she's probably a little heavier weather inside than I initially set out for. However leaning towards a wet Russian winter build so maybe the crew were sloppy🐷🐽?

36498530426_84351fb12d_b.jpg

36498530386_eed6994b5c_b.jpg

36376793372_652e7eb591_b.jpg

the ammo rack is just dry fitted ATM. However it's faaaarrr too clean 🙄😂 

I'll do a little more tonight as I've had a spare day today (mrs in bed all night with a hang over 😂😂😂😂 I drove... she was convinced her Shaddow was a zombie at one point...🙄🙄)

catch you later 

• Like 5

Bit more done. Thanks for the compliments too 😀😀😀

I wasn't sure what material the empty shell casing catch usually is in this vehicle so I opted for a canvas styled one.. am I wrong? The kit came with a hard box type thing that was smooth... it just didn't look right to me. 

Its made from Jcloth. 

36524919866_f8524aff7f_b.jpg

35736725484_2e10c8cfc4_b.jpg

36174916400_02b0920208_b.jpg

36524919976_1399971cb4_b.jpg

ignore my thumb nail!! I use it to clean excess if my brushes for dry brushing colour... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Steve_farrier said:

ignore my thumb nail!! I use it to clean excess if my brushes for dry brushing colour... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited 11 hours ago by Steve_farrier

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I hear that colour is all the rage this year!

Excellent work on the interior.

John.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed a little more recently. I've learnt some lessons too. Mainly ... don't fix the position of the track tensioners until all the tracks are in place. 😡 

I've  added lots of electrical wiring to the inside, although perhaps it's not that neat... but don't forget the crew of this beast are a sloppy lot 😂😂. 

I proped the upper hull parts together to see how much will be visible through various hatches ... not much. But still ill trundle on making her suitably filthy. 

36931047236_4751cc379c_b.jpg

The miniart "functional" tracks are anything but fictional. They require you to "snap" them together but you end up breaking every single little pin that's preformed onto the tracks so I gave up. Cut them off and glued her solid. It's a bit of a shame but thankfully the t34 chassis vehclies don't have return rollers and usually are pretty taught along the upper return. So no sag to add. 

36722711460_f3db724f7f_b.jpg36978019451_7a49e626bf_b.jpg

The engine cover above comes with two options...a plastic all in one piece... but you can't see through it. 

Or a 3 part plastic (1) &  PE(2). I chose to add some damage to mine. 

36283916694_6b2bd05f88_b.jpg

ammo rack still to add ammunition and weather ... interestingly the kit provides you with a full supply of rounds.... however as the rack is mostly covered you can just put one in each of the frontal positions and 3 on top... leaving you with plenty of spares!! 

The kit also comes with functional pistol ports if you so choose. I only left one open but was happy with the result 

37119467895_50ee4b7588_b.jpg

36931043156_1ab6e18248_b.jpg

36722686090_1542a07bcd_b.jpg36949180232_000cee2843_b.jpg

It's a shame that miniart went to all the effort to produce a 3 part clip for the stowage cases and still use a 2 part plastic case. The walls are too thick to leave open fully and don't allow for some bashing about to easily. However I've left one ajar to add a length of rope to later. 

Thats probably it for another week.

Off to see  Dunkirk tonight at the cinema (now it's been on a while I can enjoy with the mrs without being squashed in to a sardine tin! Lol

Edited by Steve_farrier
  • Like 8

Lovely dirt and grime going on there, fantastic weathering and some excellent super-detailing.

May I congratulate you on your fingernails. I too utilise these tools on many occasions. They are easy to clean, either with thinners, or if particularly stubborn, a scrape with a scalpel, and what's more they replenish themselves over time and so you never have to buy new ones!

I must confess I missed the start of this WIP, but now I've found it I will follow with interest.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Evening all. 

So ive managed a little work in the last week or two. 

Mainly I have painted the inside of the hull sides. And sorted out something a little special. (Sorry no hints) 

36521341183_6bfb5fce2b_b.jpg

37181972086_41cfbc24e6_b.jpg

I'm still to paintup some ammunition. (It's a job I find seriously boring! :-( ) 

37181963906_b294dfd57b_b.jpg

So having taped the front and roof on... you can see oh so very little of my grubby interior... soooo... 

36559083733_1be745b8a6_b.jpg

36519251074_aec8254e3e_b.jpg

36559083673_aa2412fe99_b.jpg37228965011_e2677ca8cb_b.jpg

This now matches the wiring setup I've done for my KT previously. They will both be going in to a full Dio that's lit. 

Be interesting to get some feedback :-) 

• Like 4

Managed to get in to my recently named "fuhrerbunker" today to do some more work  on the '85 

there were some seriously fiddly bits of PE that hold the snow cleats on that I just couldn't manage... I spent an hour putting 6 pieces together just for them to fall apart again. So I scrapped them (don't judge me ... blame the slovenly Russian crew for poor maintenance!! 🤗🙃😏😏) 

anyways hope you all enjoy.

Please ask questions or point out shortfalls!!

37437598221_577cdb8315_b.jpg36727904594_fc57b2dee5_b.jpg36767292223_c6c200ee0d_b.jpg23585606498_f3b6e96bbc_b.jpg37406424752_c73114dc40_b.jpg

36727904344_f48ae895bc_b.jpg

until next update that's it

steve 

• Like 2

Steve it looks good, but... this aerial bringing it down. If you do not want to buy the metal one I suggest (if you do not mind) buy a paint brush from BdQ and you will have a thousand of them for your models. I use them in my models - you can check if you wish. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve_farrier said:

@kris do you mean use a Bristle from a large brush? That should work! :-) 

i typically snap plastic aerials being  clumsy with my work lol

Yes. 

• Like 1