Su-85 from miniart 1/35

I couldn't actually find anyone on here that's made this kit yet (unless I was using the search function wrong!) 

typical unboxing photos. Kit looks smart with very minimal injection moulding issues . 

Also the decals come as individual numbers so you can freely create any unit number you want. With plenty of spares. 

This is the full interior version of the kit and looks pretty good off the bat. Having made a 1/16 T34 by trumpeter I can see as much if not more detail within this kit so far. 

The only dissapountment i can see ATM is the lower hull is in a lot of pieces and only the upper front portion of the hull is a large piece 

I'm using Flickr to upload these photos so hopefully less issues???? Please let me know 

Su85Su85Su85

Su85

Su85

I'll hopefully post updates as I go with this 

• Like 7

A little more work done tonight. 

I recieved some good reference photos from a friend of mine so have tried to get it right. However in 1/35 it's difficult! The wire is 0.4mm and my hands shake :-/ 

there are various engine components underneath the engine stand that are missing. However I'm not going to add them as even with the entire upper hull off you'd still not see them 

35880367112_7d25f27453_z.jpg

35662118550_970ddaa894_b.jpg

35880373712_775ecf507c_b.jpg

• Like 5

Hi @Hewy thanks 

the PE stealing bands are part of the kit. It's slightly to small unless your able to roll the end connections perfectly at about 0.1-0.2 mm. 

interesting ive noted the T34 engine had some differences between the reference photos I could find. However I couldn't pin down exactly what was needed for the SU. However most of those changes are minor. 

Ooo yes, I like! I think the SU-85 is a very capable looking machine, and that kit looks fantastic, sprue city! Well for having shaky hands you're off to a good start, especially the wiring on the engine, should look a treat when it's painted.

• Like 1

Cracking on quick... although it doesn't always happen like that! 

Thanks for the compliments :-) 

hell of a lot of sprue's! Learnt my lesson to keep them all in a drawer... limits the risk of loosing parts. 

35894908942_3be64917fa_b.jpg

35675850670_846f239d2d_b.jpg

35894903502_939785db23_b.jpg

the exhaust pipes will get a touch more rusting texture ... otherwise I'm pretty happy 

• Like 4

Coming along nicely. This will be filed away as a reference for when I do Dragon's T-34-85. BTW. What did you use for the wiring? It looks like soft brass wire.

John.

A soft flat brush is what I use, I have a No2 (about 5-6mm wide) for the larger areas and a slightly smaller (maybe 3-4mm) for the smaller parts. I dip the brush into the jar just a little, you only need a little of the powder on the tip of the brush. To apply on the part, I use what I can only describe as a "poking" motion, push the brush against the part with a little sideways movement as well. The powder should settle down quite nicely giving a soft, flat look. I'd have a little practice on some scrap bits of sprue or something, just to get an idea of how it behaves and what technique you're more comfortable with.

• Like 1

Awesome job so far, Steve, with that W-2! I especially like the fine wiring.

Maybe you can give the "non-Russians" a size reference how "mighty" that engine block really is in 1/35. :lol:

• Like 1

Great kit, and magnificent assembly / painting, with your permission, I will use all that good info that you kindly give us, for a future assembly of another hunting-tank the same or similar ...watching with interest...cheers mate :D

• Like 1

Only managed a little this weekend. PE is definitely my nemesis! The kit requires you to slip bits of PE in to areas hard to even get tweezers. But never mind! 

Inner hull walls have been given a few coats  of paint. Then a few bits of pre weathering ... the main internal weathering will be done once the hull is glued together to prevent colour/weathering changes 

36138015761_f23ab15619_b.jpg

if anyone has any information about the tank closest to the camera (still in white) 

i can't imagine it's a fuel tank as it would be directly next to the drivers head... however I can't reasonably work out what it is for! 

• Like 2