Hello!

Timmas

Evening all. I've been lurking anonymously for a week or two and have been so inspired by what I've seen and read I just had to apply to join your clib. No-one blackballed me so here I am. I'll add a photo at some point once (a) I get one taken from my best side and Photoshop all the imperfections out and (b) work out how to include it.

So here's a bit about me: I've just started to get back into modelling after a short resting period.I say short but it's only about fifty years. :huh: When I was a lad in the 1960s I was a modelling nut and spent most of my pocket money and Saturday job earnings on 1:72 Airfix kits (with the odd Ravell one thrown in). I made mostly Second World War aircraft, but did a few tanks and battleships as well. I did go off piste actually, not long before I stopped modelling, when I made a model of The Beatles for my mate's sister; she was a huge Beatles fan and I had a crush on her. Sadly, my romantic efforts came to nought as I think she decided she didn't want to have anything to do with an awkward, spotty over-eager modelling geek!

At about that time other things got in the way of modelling (girls, parties, going out, and then work, relationships, marriage, children and their activities, work, more work family and more work and so on). All through that time I never really had the urge to make models although I would often look into model shop windows. If the kids were with me I'd tell them about the ones I used to make at which point they'd roll their eyes and reply "Really dad?" and so on.

Anyway, my career is to a large extent behind me now and consequently I have more time on my hands. So I've decided to get back into modelling. I spent some time thinking about what I'd like to model and realised that I still want to do aircraft because I love them, but definitely didn't want to go back and redo those Second World War craft. I discounted the modern era mostly because I don't know enough about modern military aircraft and so I've settled on the post war period. Cold War to be precise.

I distinctly remember as a young boy (before the crush on my mate's sister) being out on my bike one day and something huge flew overhead, casting an enormous shadow as it passed over. It kicked up a hell of a racket too. It was the most terrifying yet exciting thing I had ever seen and heard in my entire life. Ok, I was only about 11 or 12 at the time but nevertheless it made a lasting impression on me. It was of course, a Vulcan.

So I've bought one, in 1:72 scale. My first kit in almost 50 years. Yay! It's Airfix, as you'll all know, and it's from old moulds from the 1980s so it's going to be a 'challenge'. I must be honest and say while I'd forgotten about Airfix's raised detail and the fit of their parts, I really can't remember ever having a kit with so much flash on the sprues. It's pretty flippin' awful really, but I did say I've got some time on my hands didn;t I?

So here I am. Excited, daunted, but really, really looking forward to it. Buying again much of the stuff I used to have, but also getting things that were unknown to me as a youngster; Perfect Plastic Putty, Tamiya Extra Thin glue, acrylic paint (not the old enamel stuff) a new airbrush (eventually) and Johnsons Pledge (formerly known as Klear)! In one way I've stepped back into a familiar world from my childhood; one which was inhabited by earnest schoolboys, yet at the same time I've entered an unknown new one, full of remarkably talented people who achieve unbelievable results.

I hope I can get somewhere near the same standard :jabber: !

• Like 2

Hello Timmas welcome back ... Im a yank and I've been modeling pretty much since 1979. I did take a break for 10 years between 2005 and 2014. I still build mostly aircraft but have spread out to cold war jets as well as WW2 types. I dabble in armor and would love to get into ships (unfortunately they are a bit cost prohibitive when on a very tight budget). Im a newbie here been on for about a month. If I or anyone here can help just ask were all pretty friendly. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Timmas, I really enjoyed reading your introduction. 

Made me smile to think of your mates sister giving you the elbow. I had the same troubles but with sisters mates. 

What an iconic plane you have chosen to get back into this wonderful hobby. 

All the best, Martin

• Like 1