RAAF MB326H Macchi gunsight help needed!

Remy

Hi all!

As I'm building a RAAF MB326H Macchi, the A7-022 carrying the 55th anniversary scheme, I need some good photo's of the gunsight.

Not all Macchi's were carrying a gunsight, but 75 sq did often carry them. There are to types of gunsights used by the RAAF Macchi's, I'm looking for the one with camera attached.

All images, of all types are more then welcome! 

Thanks!

Remy.

I think you mean 76SQN, the camera was removable and replaced with a crash pad when not required (same on RAAF Mirages).

This an image I am able to find on Motty's Aircraft pages - Macchi Section which does not show much of the gunsight itself, but it is a good picture of the camera.

Here is another showing the side of it

• Like 1

I worked on Mirages at Williamtown when 2OCU and 77SQN operated the Macchis. I was shown a Macchi gunsight once and it was so small compared to the Mirages, maybe 10-12 cms square. When the gun camera was fitted you could not see the sight body. Mirage gunsights were much larger.

I have placed a post on an Aussie Forum, we will see if some one there can help further.

• Like 1

I've got a diagram from the manual, I would upload it but Photostuffit isnt working at all

and if I try any more with flikr I will cheerfully beat the computer to death with the keyboard.

Drop me a PM and I can email it to you.

• Like 2

Considering the lack of cockpit space, the age and capability of the aircraft, I would suggest that one of the Ferranti ISIS series of gunsights may have been fitted (but be careful of what you search for!!!).  There was also a similar gunsight made by SAAB, but both my memory and Google fail me in providing any further detail.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Richard!

I have received this diagram from Steve Long, posted with his permission.

35323771954_05850197e7_b.jpg

Copyright Steve Long.

I have also found this image:

36162548945_70ba26a844_b.jpg

Copyright in photo.

I think I should manage to get something scratchbuild, although it will be very small..

Thanks!

Remy.

• Like 1