F-94 Starfire & RF-80A questions

rs2man

Can anybody tell me whether the F-94 used the same wingtip tanks as the T-33 ?  I need a pair of T-33 tanks for an RF-80 build & it looks like I'll have to buy a complete kit to take them from , but both Heller & Hasegawa T-33s seem pretty expensive on the secondhand market , whilst the Emhar F-94 is available rather more cheaply .

Whilst on the subject of the RF-80A , the Sword kit includes an ejection seat .  I was under the impression that F-80A aircraft didn't have one , but does the same apply to the RF-80A ?

Any assistance much appreciated .

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I've had a look in the Schiffer book on the F80 for you and it would appear that the F80A did not have an ejection seat, there are a couple of pictures which show that early F80Cs did not have one either.

Most RF80A aircraft would appear to have been converted from F80A airframes and there were several different nose modifications, if I was building it I would go for no ejection seat.

Unfortunately the Schiffer book does not give much in the way of RF80 cockpit pictures but the ones shown don't show any ejection seat handles.

For drop tanks I think FOX3 productions in the US do tanks for the T33 and they are not too expensive

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by camper1
moe information

9 hours ago, rs2man said:

Can anybody tell me whether the F-94 used the same wingtip tanks as the T-33 ?  I need a pair of T-33 tanks for an RF-80 build & it looks like I'll have to buy a complete kit to take them from , but both Heller & Hasegawa T-33s seem pretty expensive on the secondhand market , whilst the Emhar F-94 is available rather more cheaply .

Hi John

The tip tank can and does vary depending on sub type,  I got a Hobbycraft F-94A, only onto find it did not come with the tanks typically seen on Korean F-94B,  which are the longer type with a horizontal fin, mounted onto the tips, not hanging down.

So, you need to find a pic  of the RF-80 you are doing,  I don't recall seeing a F-80 or RF-80 with Fletcher type tanks, and I don't know what the Emhar kits comes with.

The Misawa were one made in  Japan, modifying the standard tank to enlarge capacity, IIRC

ShootingStar-droptanks.jpg

one with the typical F-80 tanks

2c807e42725225429555775a92cf217f.jpg

this is the Misawa

b335af4e79e2ee635bd0d27879c68523--early-

this is the longer type with horizontal fin, Fletcher according to the above drawings,  note this is on the tip, not hanging  down.

f-94_flight_2.jpg

I only found this out by trying to work  out what's what (The Hobbycraft F94A only comes with the Misawa, the F94B has the Fletcher only....grrrrrr) 

There maybe more variations, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable on this will add more.  There maybe another,  bigger, version of the Misawa or similar

HTH

T

PS putting RF-80 Shooting Star into google images shows all 3 types used

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rf-80+shooting+star&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjljOvnnZPVAhUJKMAKHU5SDy0Q_AUIBigB&biw=856&bih=468

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The tanks I need are the Fletcher type . The RF-80A I'm building is from the Bald Iggles aerobatic team , which definitely had them . Incidentally , the Minutemen aerobatic team used F-80C's with Fletcher tanks too .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

So, you need to find a pic  of the RF-80 you are doing,  I don't recall seeing a F-80 or RF-80 with Fletcher type tanks, and I don't know what the Emhar kits comes with

Hi Troy,

take look, many F-80s had the Fletcher tanks.  In fact pretty much all did as they got towards the middle and end of their service careers.

M

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, camper1 said:

As mentioned before Fox3 studios do 1/72 Fletcher tanks at $4.50 plus postage and an F94 update set for the Hobbycraft kit.

Ian

Any idea how  to contact them  Ian,  I tried emailing an address years ago but never got a response,  there is no website,  all I can find is a facebook page 

https://en-gb.facebook.com/FOX-3-Studios-aviation-art-by-Gerald-Asher-281378972011806/

I noted

Mario Capelli where is the 1/48 resin set for F-89H Scorpion wingtip missile bays?
FOX 3 Studios - aviation art by Gerald Asher
FOX 3 Studios - aviation art by Gerald Asher Hi, Mario - I'm afraid it's on the back burner at the moment, the artwork has to take precedence. 1f615.png:/

I did  find this

http://yolo.net/~jeaton/earlyjets/Products/FOX 3 STUDIOS price list pg.1.doc

though I  suspect the post costs are  very out of  date after  USPS upped it's prices immensely  few years back.

FOX 3 STUDIOS      6837 NORTHPARK DR.    FORT WORTH   TX   76180

Thank you for your interest in FOX 3 STUDIOS products!

FOX 3 STUDIOS has in business since 1983, creating original artwork for book covers, magazine and calendar illustration, as well as “box art” for Collect-Aire Models limited production cast resin aircraft and space kits. Scale modeling, however, has always held a keen interest, so we recently embarked upon a series of conversion kits designed for 1/48 scale aircraft. We pride ourselves on the esoteric – many of our conversions are based on kits which are no longer available at your local hobby shops – so we feel reasonably sure that you won’t see any of our subjects as full kits from any of the major manufacturers (at least, not in the near future).

KIT NO.                                        DESCRIPTION                                                              PRICE

4802                                                                     F-111B (for Minicraft F-111C)                                                                             8.00

4803                                                  P-80A-1 Basic conversion (for Monogram F-80)                                                             12.00

4805                                                          Early P-80A  tires w/checkerboard tread                                                                   2.50         

4806                                                       “Factory nose” RF-80C  (for Monogram F-80)                                                              4.00

4807                                                          “Wart nose” RF-80A (for Monogram F-80)                                                               11.00

4808                                                          “Field Mod” RF-80C (for  Monogram F-80)                                                                8.00

4809                                                                   F-80 “Misawa” tip tanks                                                                                         6.00

4810                                                     Corrected noses for Revell F-89D missile pods                                                             4.00

4811                                                                 F-89C (for Revell F-89D/J)                                                                                    13.00

4812                                                                 F-89H (for Revell F-89D/J)                                                                                     16.00

4813                                              F-80/T-33/F-94 165 gal. tip tanks w/fairings (blunt nose)                                                   5.00

4814                                             F-80/T-33/F-94 165 gal. tip tanks w/fairings (sharp nose)                                                   5.00

4815                            P-80A-1 Deluxe Conversion set (includes cockpit, tires & FD4809 decal sheet)                           21.00   

4816                                   Late  F-100A/F-100C Super Sabre conversion (for Monogram F-100)                                      22.50

4817                                              P-80A cockpit set (tub, seat, inst. panel & armor plate)                                                      8.00

4818                                               F-100F Super Sabre conversion (for Monogram F-100)                                                   27.50

4819                                          Corrected length 275 gal. drop tanks (for Monogram F-100)                                                6.00

4820                                                   Late style 335 gal. drop tanks  (for Monogram F-100)                                                    6.00

4821                                          Inboard station 200 gal. drop tanks (for Monogram F-100)                                                    4.00

****                                                Lockheed NF-104 conversion (for Monogram F-104)                                                         TBA

****                                              Convair TF-102 conversion (for Monogram/ProModeler F-102A)                                    TBA                                         

****                                 Mitsubishi G4M2E “Betty” conversion  with Ohka Model 11 Special Attacker                           TBA

****                                          Yokosuka Ohka MXY7 Model 22 Special Attacker (full kit)                                                    TBA

****                                Yokosuka MXY7Ohka Model 43 K-1 KAI Special Attacker Trainer  (full kit)                                 TBA

FD01                                              Reproduction full size 1950’s USAF/USN helmet decals                                                     6.00

FD4801                                      P-80A “Baby Jean” 412th Ftr. Gp., PROJECT COMET decals                                                 3.00

FD4802                                      P-80A “Lil’ Abner” 31st Ftr. Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                                     3.00

FD4803                                     P-80A “Stormy” 39th Tac Rec Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                                   2.50

FD4804                               P-80A “Pride Of The Lone Star” 29th Ftr. Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                    2.50

FD4805                                  P-80A “Minimum Goose” 445th Ftr. Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                          2.50

FD4806                                           P-80A “Honk” 31st Ftr. Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                                        3.00

FD4807                                      P-80A “Sneaky – P” 39th Tac Rec Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                           2.50

FD4808                                        P-80A “Blunder-Bus” 29th Ftr. Sq., PROJECT COMET decals                                              2.50

FD4809                                             P-80A Servicing markings and stencil data decals                                                          2.50

Please add $3.00 shipping ($4.50 overseas) regardless of order size. For U.S. orders, acceptable forms of payment include cashier’s checks, money orders or personal checks from U.S.-based accounts. We cannot be held responsible for cash orders sent through the mails. SORRY, WE ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS.

Masters are currently in work for all of the “TBA” kits, but please be patient with us. We promise to keep things moving along as quickly as possible in the “new release” department, while trying to keep our quality at a reasonably high standard.

Thank you again for your support of FOX 3 STUDIOS products!

Some interesting looking bits,but if you can't get  them.

No 72nd listed.

11 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Troy,

take look, many F-80s had the Fletcher tanks. 

M

Hi Martin

Forgot to edit that out, as I  included as a PS a  google image link,  saying I'd  spotted all 3

I'm now going to try to find out what the different RF-80 noses listed are!

Sorry I forgot this too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lockheed-T-33-A-Photo-Chronicle-Schiffer-Military-Avi-Paperback-NEW-David-R-/311861481813?epid=88916737&hash=item489c649155:g:Ne8AAOSwdjNZCGuS

i have them both. They are not perfect but probably the best collections of images of these types.

Martin

8 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Factory RF-80 nose

RF-80A_45th_TRS_in_Korea.jpg

'wart' nose RF-80,  note bulged radome

Rf80_38thtrs.jpg

the RF-80C is  a field mod  of  the gun nose?

0275-05-2-1.jpg

I have a couple of photo books  Korea the Air  War, which are all photos in colour,   and  the 

1216-2.jpg

which has a few RF-80,  T-33 and F-94 pics as well.

I have the Schiffer F-80 and F-94 on my Amazon list too.

cheers

T

The Airfix F-80 comes with both the drop shaped "Lightning " style as well as the Misawa. I guess a number of people will have either style in their spares box. I know I do, but have no idea where the box is :ner:

• Like 1

Gents I hope these might help:

Image2

Image3Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

Image10Image11

Image12Image13

Image14

Image15

Image16Image17

And these are the aircraft s/n which relates to the 'serial code' column effectivity above:

Image1

Finally an RF-80A instrument panel diagram, showing the unique instrumentation:

Image18

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, Troy Smith said:

Factory RF-80 nose

RF-80A_45th_TRS_in_Korea.jpg

Working through my Hobby Boss RF-80A... The nose cap is included as a clear part, but the above photo (like all I've found) suggests it to be opaque... gloss black?

Any thoughts??

Mike

More on tip tanks: http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2017/06/lockheed-pf-80-shooting-star-tip-tanks.html

On 7/19/2017 at 6:56 AM, ptmvarsityfan said:

According to the feature on the F-80 in Wings of Fame journal

some RF-80As were converted to RF-80C standard including

the addition of an ejection seat.

Cheers, Paul

This is reported by Baugher as well and included F-80A fighters: http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p80_6.html as confirmed by my subject-matter expert, Gerald Asher. Also see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/02/lockheed-p-80-shooting-star.html

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Correct misinformation aboiut the retrofit of ejection seat to P/F-80As
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2017 at 1:47 AM, Sabrejet said:

Gents I hope these might help:

Image2

Image3Image4

Image5

Image6

Image7

Image8

Image9

Image10Image11

Image12Image13

Image14

Image15

Image16Image17

And these are the aircraft s/n which relates to the 'serial code' column effectivity above:

Image1

Finally an RF-80A instrument panel diagram, showing the unique instrumentation:

Image18

Hope this helps!

Any chance of getting these images reposted?

All I see is the messages saying "This photo is no longer available".

Larry

Prior to the Korean Conflict, the P-80 carried Lockheed built tear drop shaped ‘under the wing-tip’ fuel tanks, switching later to more cylindrical tanks.  The P-80 was able to fly from Misawa AB in Japan to Korea but not with much loitering time over targets.  Two USAF pilots came up with the idea of inserting an extra middle section, (with four seams) thus increasing tank length and capacity.  This was called the ‘Misawa tank’, named after their home base of Misawa.  This increased the fuel capacity from 165 gallons (624.6 liters) to 265 gallons (1,003 liters), while still using the same under wing-tip attachment.  These lengthened fuel tanks extending the flight range from 225 miles to around 350 miles, or more importantly the loiter time.  The increased shackle weight was not an issue as they could carry a 1,000 lb bomb.  Lockheed would supply a third tank of close to the same length - with one less seam.  These new ‘Misawa’ styled tanks were also used on the early T-33A Shooting

Patrick Martin

• Like 1