Little Terminator

Sigh. The MiG-15 project was a big old fail, and the -31 just isn't drawing me in right now. I've been on something of an armor kick lately, so I'll try getting back into the group build mojo with this project.

IMG_20170717_222218935.jpg

This is not your father's braille scale armor!

The level of detail and finesse on the parts is simply astounding. Zoom in on that pic if you can. More close-ups of parts will come with build sequence shots.

IMG_20170717_222317723.jpg

The complexity of detail comes with a complex build, but I like complex AFV kits. If I wanted simple, I'd buy diecasts.

Tonight I finished one side of the suspension. Again, unbelievable detail, and for a killer price!

IMG_20170717_231027207_HDR.jpg

I'm very excited about this kit. I also got Zvezda's T-90, but I don't think I'll have time to finish both in the GB time. So for now, just this.

• Like 2

I picked up this kit a while back and thought the detail was extremely impressive. I will follow you build with great interest. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

A few days later we have the lower half largely completed. The tracks are cool. They're hard plastic, but are scored along the bend lines, so you just wrap the whole piece around the wheels. One of the wheels has a little pip that fits into the track, so finding the starting point is very easy (and ensures that things fit around the sprocket properly). Much less screwing around than with indy links. 

IMG_20170719_204116320.jpg

Pretty ingenious, Zvezda. Well played! 

Upper hull parts are next. 

• Like 2

Finished the upper hull today. Sort of.

I still need to add tow cables and bar armor to the rear, but those will come after the two halves are glued together (after painting the suspension. Rearview mirrors will also come closer to the end.

IMG_20170724_215902269_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arachnid said:

I feel I am being drawn into Braille scale,Each time I see a build like this, fantastic 👍

I'm something of a scale whore. But when it came to tanks, I used to be fully in the 1/35 camp. Back when I started modeling in the mid 80s, 1/72 armor kits were pretty clunky affairs. 

Then around 2005/2006 I became obsessed with Tamiya's 1/48 releases. I just love that scale for armor - but selection is limited, so I began exploring 1/72. Now I work in all three; though I find myself doing less and less in 1/35 lately. 

But long story short, go for it. There are some fantastic 1/72 armor kits out there. The recent Zvezda releases (this, the T-90, ISU-152 come to mind), Modelcollect, Flyhawk, all really nice. 

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 1