1/48 Eduard Mirage IIIC

Heres another build from last year. Eduards 1/48 Mirage IIIC. This is my first serious attempt at a natural metal finish using AK Interactive Xtreme metal colours. Even though it wasn't perfect I can say I am still very happy with the results.

zCTFU5T.jpg

w7ghPxZ.jpg

8rdRdqB.jpg

x9tb9rH.jpg

TzQWpyA.jpg

0dWzUYJ.jpg

6lzO2jf.jpg

w9r68EG.jpg

• Like 43

4 hours ago, Lifeline said:

Nice work on the mirage @Joeltc...

did you use the kit's decal? And what is your opinion on AK's extreme metal color?

I bought one (White Aluminium) but haven't use it yet...

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Mario, yes they are the kit decals which are as good as any aftermarket decals I've used. This is the Profipac version of the kit which has about 5 options I think. The AK paints are a big improvement over Alcad paint. It sprays evenly and is very opaque. Also I was able to mask over each shade within half an hour of it being sprayed.

• Like 1

Very beautiful; I am looking at the Cigognes option from the Eduard kit right now as an alternative to the blue Seine one I was originally planning for the Mirage GB...not sure I can mix the right blue, and the Very Metal Mirage is sooo iconic! If ever there was a bolt of inspiration, it's here. :worthy:

Nice Mirage IIIC Joel as the others have said, well done, I would certainly be happy with that! :thumbsup2:

Did you seal the metal finish before applying the decals, if so what with?

2 hours ago, Wez said:

Nice Mirage IIIC Joel as the others have said, well done, I would certainly be happy with that! :thumbsup2:

Did you seal the metal finish before applying the decals, if so what with?

Thanks Wez. Originally I wasnt going to seal it with a clear coat as I did apply the decals straight over the paint. I was a bit worried I would loose that metallic sheen but I saw Flory's review of the AK Shine Enhancer. It looked good on his Straighter build so I ordered some. I only ended up using it to seal everything in at the end.

That is truly stunning.  I love the Mirage III anyway but you've really brought out its beautiful lines here, with a terrific metal finish.  Mirages, like Lightnings, always look best in natural metal in my humble opinion.  Wasn't this one of the aircraft flown by Tanguy et Laverdure? 

18 hours ago, Mr B said:

Equally as nice.........

how did you find building from different manufacturers on a similar aircraft........

Rgds 

It was an interesting experience. I remember thinking the quality of the moulding and the type of plastic on the Eduard kit to be nicer. Also in the box it has coloured etch and masks too. I found the instructions in the Eduard kit to be excellent while the Kinetic ones to be less than average. Both kits were a bit tricky around the intake area but with a bit of modelling skill its nothing too daunting. Once completed It is apparent the Kinetic kit is the more accurate of the two. Still I wouldn't hesitate to do either kit again if I waned to do that Variant of the Mirage III. I do plan to get the Kinetic two seater at some stage also.

13 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is truly stunning.  I love the Mirage III anyway but you've really brought out its beautiful lines here, with a terrific metal finish.  Mirages, like Lightnings, always look best in natural metal in my humble opinion.  Wasn't this one of the aircraft flown by Tanguy et Laverdure? 

Cant say I know any history on this particular aircraft as it was just an option in the box and that I was working from about 2 or 3 reference photos I had found on google. However it is nice hearing about the history of the aircraft being modelled though.

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work.

Picked up one at Huddersfield this year with some AK paints. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be well chuffed.

Pete

Nice one. You'll love it! Which boxing do you get?

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

That's a beauty, well done. AK Xtreme Metal paints are now my go to paints for metallics, so easy to use.

Duncan B

How are they used?  Are they airbrush only or can they be brush applied like Mr Metalcote?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

How are they used?  Are they airbrush only or can they be brush applied like Mr Metalcote?

They are designed for airbrush only as they are very thin (but still provide amazing coverage). I haven't tried brush painting them so don't know if that would work or not.

Duncan B

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joeltc said:

It was an interesting experience. I remember thinking the quality of the moulding and the type of plastic on the Eduard kit to be nicer. Also in the box it has coloured etch and masks too. I found the instructions in the Eduard kit to be excellent while the Kinetic ones to be less than average. Both kits were a bit tricky around the intake area but with a bit of modelling skill its nothing too daunting. Once completed It is apparent the Kinetic kit is the more accurate of the two. Still I wouldn't hesitate to do either kit again if I waned to do that Variant of the Mirage III. I do plan to get the Kinetic two seater at some stage also.

Cant say I know any history on this particular aircraft as it was just an option in the box and that I was working from about 2 or 3 reference photos I had found on google. However it is nice hearing about the history of the aircraft being modelled though.

Nice one. You'll love it! Which boxing do you get?

It's the Weekend edition, natural metal & desert camo options. It's moving slowly up to the top of the pile!

Pete

3 hours ago, Duncan B said:

They are designed for airbrush only as they are very thin (but still provide amazing coverage). I haven't tried brush painting them so don't know if that would work or not.

Duncan B

Thanks for the info.  The reason I ask is because I have had such trouble with my airbrush that it has been taking the pleasure out of the hobby for me so it is currently on the naughty step.  It's me though, not the airbrush.  It's an Iwata which I know is good make.  I shall return to it once I've cooled off a bit.  With a whole stack of EE Lightnings to build I'm currently quite interested in alternatives to airbrushing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thanks for the info.  The reason I ask is because I have had such trouble with my airbrush that it has been taking the pleasure out of the hobby for me so it is currently on the naughty step.  It's me though, not the airbrush.  It's an Iwata which I know is good make.  I shall return to it once I've cooled off a bit.  With a whole stack of EE Lightnings to build I'm currently quite interested in alternatives to airbrushing.

Practice, practice, practice is the only decent advice I can give you with regards to airbrushing however the Xtreme Metals are pre-thinned so that takes one variable out of the magic equation (AK Interactive had a decent guide to using their Xtreme metal paint on their website which states best working pressure and general tips for using the stuff, honestly these are extremely easy paints to use). The other important thing when working with metal finishes (whether airbrushing or not) is surface preparation, if you can see a mark, scratch etc by eye before painting NMF it's going to look 10 times worse with the paint on. A good primer on a good surface is essential so don't take shortcuts with the prep work. I'm sure you knew all that already but it might help someone else out.

Hope that helps

Duncan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

Practice, practice, practice is the only decent advice I can give you with regards to airbrushing however the Xtreme Metals are pre-thinned so that takes one variable out of the magic equation (AK Interactive had a decent guide to using their Xtreme metal paint on their website which states best working pressure and general tips for using the stuff, honestly these are extremely easy paints to use). The other important thing when working with metal finishes (whether airbrushing or not) is surface preparation, if you can see a mark, scratch etc by eye before painting NMF it's going to look 10 times worse with the paint on. A good primer on a good surface is essential so don't take shortcuts with the prep work. I'm sure you knew all that already but it might help someone else out.

Hope that helps

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan

It does indeed.  All sound advice.  I think half my problem is that I am both extremely lazy and extremely impatient at the same time!  In addition I think I might have bent the tip of the needle in my airbrush during a fit of pique, so need to get a replacement.  Very helpful vis their guide.  I shall take a look.

Thanks again. 

• Like 1