Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhantomBigStu

XM607 Black Buck

Got the airfix Vulcan undergo as XM607, makes sense to finish it as per the black buck raids, what do I need to add to do it as such? 

Anyone also got some good reference pics re additonal painting areas aside from the camo like dielectric panels etc? 

Stu,

Good subject matter.

You could go through the old but very useful Vulcan Aeroguide which was published not long after these raids took effect. Most of the photo's within are of late camo Vulcans so I'm sure you'll find something here.

Just click on the various pages for larger images and if you want the rest of the series, go back to the Aeroguide / Model References link for more goodies.

There's been a few Black Buck Vulcan BM threads in the past, just do a search and it'll all be found.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Aeroguide/Aeroguide-06-Avro

Cheers and good luck with the build.. Dave

It might also be helpful to try and find an example of Modeldecal's sheet number 71 which included markings and stencil options for some of the Vulcans, but not '607, which were involved in the Black Buck missions along with Dick Ward's usual reference notes.  Although it's out-of-production you should be able to find a sensibly priced example of a certain auction website.

If you haven't already read it Rowland White's Vulcan 607 will provide a mine of useful background information.

You will need an AN/ALQ 101 ECM pod from a Buccaneer or Jaguar kit. This was fitted on the Stbd Skybolt pylon location. The pylon itself was very basic, easily scratch build able.

There are pictures in alex-stela's WIP thread.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012564-avro-vulcan-b2-xm607-black-buck-172-airfix/&page=2

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There is another recentish thread on here about the Black Buck Vulcans which goes into more detail with pics of the ECM pod and other fits of the aircraft, will try and find.

The vanes attached to the upper nose shown in the linked thread above was related to dispersing the fuel away from the windscreen during air to air refueling hook ups and breakaways, the system had been refitted from stocks of old parts.

Frieghtdog also do an excellent quality decal set that covers XM607, https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/FSD72001S

Edited by 71chally

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys, those vortex hens look tricky to scratch build , though the pylon looks simple not sure I've got anything plastic suitable so I guess I'll have to invest in the oft used plasticard. Already have the decals for 607 in the kit and I ask have the 101 pod it seems in the NATO weapon set, forgot about that one orherwise might have already used it on a jaguar I did recently. Also the thread said zm607 lacks the double bubbles? What do they mean by that

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Posted (edited)

There are two small Skybolt related blisters under each mid-wing near the leading edge.   '607 was one of the Vulcans that didn't have them.

Edited by 71chally
1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, 71chally said:

There are two small Skybolt related blisters under each mid-wing near the leading edge.   '607 was one of the Vulcans that didn't have them.

I can see what you mean now Ive looked at the build, two teardrop fairings, guessing the circular ones further back also have to go? 

1 person likes this

Guessing there's dielectric panels I've not painted yet, away from home ATM 

35149593424_9f9e30f152_b.jpg

2 people like this

Do the circular ones towards the rear need to be chopped? 

35850730932_556fdd5162_b.jpg