Rareplanes Supermarine 224, "First Spitfire" & my first Vacform

Well this really is a rarity for me, my first ever Vacform build and finishing a Group Build, something I fail to do on too many occasions !

I have had this kit in the stash for many years and like many of us was completely terrified of building a Vacform kit, but thanks to the encouragement of everyone on here, WE have done it. :yahoo:

Until I built this kit I didn't know much about Gordon Stevens, the man behind Rareplanes, but having read about him he was a remarkable man who by his undoubted skills and determination brought us the opportunity to build kits that none of the mainstream manufacturers would have looked at. I would therefore like to dedicate my rather modest build of this, one of his earliest kits to him.

The poor old Supermarine 224, wasn't a success ending its life on a firing range as a target, but hopefully RJ Mitchell learnt something that he later used to make the more recognisable Spitfire the success it was.

As for this kit I learnt a great deal, cutting out the parts from the sheet is nerve racking, the sanding seems to take forever as you are frightened of taking off too much and you constantly worry that the parts aren't going to fit. However the sense of achievement is amazing, so please dig out that Vacform kit you have had in the stash for years and give it a go, everyone on BM, especially me is right behind you.

cheers Pat :cheers:

IMG_3474

IMG_3476

IMG_3477

IMG_3478

• Like 39

Fantastic! Nicely done - vacforms are difficult! Tried them once and didn't get very far - you've done a great job. And rareplanes is a brand you don't encounter very often any more.

Very nice all round.

• Like 1

I'm out of 'likes' at the moment Pat, but I'll be back with one later.

Take a bow that man :party::worthy::clap2:!

Well done! Vac forms take real care and attention, all the things you mentioned; it's harrowing at first. I have no idea what it is about them, but they're addictive. Especially nicely moulded ones like Rareplanes kits. The often quite thin plastic has, to me, a nicer scale look and feel to it than a lot of injection moulded kits.

Your WIP has been a treat to follow; highly recommended for the first time vac-form builder. For anyone for that matter :winkgrin:.

I haven't checked yet; have you put it in the GB gallery? 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 2

Yes, really like this one.  Good job too.  Have built a couple of vac forms myself, mainly Broplan.  They are quite satisfying and time consuming, but, enjoyable and worth the effort.

Very well done, dare I say more please !!

• Like 2

Good man, having a go at a vacform!  That's turned out rather well, and gives you a model of a nice rare type that no one is ever likely to produce as a mainstream kit. Love it. :clap2:

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Great vacform and educational too, never heard of this aircraft before. I'm on my third vac at the moment they are addictive! In my short experience the sanding gets easier I tend to trim a lot off with a scalpel before sanding, the worst that can happen is you over cut slightly. Just means a bit more filler! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm out of 'likes' at the moment Pat, but I'll be back with one later.

Take a bow that man :party::worthy::clap2:!

Well done! Vac forms take real care and attention, all the things you mentioned; it's harrowing at first. I have no idea what it is about them, but they're addictive. Especially nicely moulded ones like Rareplanes kits. The often quite thin plastic has, to me, a nicer scale look and feel to it than a lot of injection moulded kits.

Your WIP has been a treat to follow; highly recommended for the first time vac-form builder. For anyone for that matter :winkgrin:.

I haven't checked yet; have you put it in the GB gallery? 

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Hi Tony

Thank you very much for the kind words and continued encouragement, the WIP is below and yes I have now put it in the GB gallery, although it had been so long since I finished a build in time I had to read up on how to do it !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

It's great to see one of Gordon Stevens' Rareplanes actually built, and to such a high standard at that.

Also, it's amazing to realise that this awkward monstrosity of a fighter design (the Air Ministry specification must take most of the blame, I guess) gave way to the graceful and deadly Type 300 that took to the air just two years after the first flight of the 224 (which ended its life as a shooting target).

Good and inspiring modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

On 17/07/2017 at 5:48 PM, Luis Alfonso said:

Congratulations for this magnificent build Jockney!!!

I have some of them received as a gift. for sure will ry my hand in one and will share the results.

Thank you very much for sharing,

Luis Alfonso

Hi Luis

Thank you very much for your comments.

Good luck with your Vacform builds, can I ask which ones you have ?

kind regards Pat

• Like 1

Although I used to have some vacforms in my stash I never got around to building one (I sold them all). You are a braver man than me.....

Super model, very well finished. An unusual type too - as you write most modellers only have the choice of these vacforms or scratch build for the less well known types.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Luis

Thank you very much for your comments.

Good luck with your Vacform builds, can I ask which ones you have ?

kind regards Pat

Hi Pat:

i Haven't done a picture post in Britmodeller before, so this special occasion is  MY VERY FIRST PIC POST HERE,  so that way,  Sorry for inconveniences in case  something happen.

All the Vacform stash I have was  collected today for a family portrait specially for you and is here:  

The story goes that way: I was looking for some special subjects I wanted to complete some model blocks while buying kits for My Godfather Bruno  Escaler, and a friend I got in Ebay whom I have been buying some collector Items for Bruno sent us one Christmas as a gift a huge lot of kits that include many of those depicted here in the box, the others were  acquired in lots together with other kits and as Bruno don't want the Vac kits, gave me all his  part. 

There are many nice jewels here and others like the SEVERSKY P-35 in Black Carton are more than a challenge as those doesn't have any kind of detail...

The AIRMODEL kits were sold by a guy in Ebay at US$0.99 each and there are some others like the CAC Australian Sabre, P-51 H and F-86H that are RAREBITS and are well stored in another part of the Stash I Can't access easily tonight. 

The chosen subject to start with this nice treasure will be between the  p-43 lANCER AND hEINKEL 112, but think the better choice will be the Heinkel bird.

DSC01585DSC01587DSC01589DSC01591DSC01592

Cheers,  

Luis Alfonso

• Like 5

Terrific stuff.  Well done for tackling this vacform kit.  Since a disastrous attempt by me to build a vacform Fulmar about 20 years ago I've steered well clear.  Can't help thinking this aircraft deserves a modern kit from the likes of Special Hobby or RS Models.  I'd have thought it would easily fit in to their product profiles. 

• Like 2

Lovely job, and always nice to see a vac kit built!

I have a ton of them (well maybe not quite that many...) but they will have to wait for current projects to be completed.....

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Pat:

i Haven't done a picture post in Britmodeller before, so this special occasion is  MY VERY FIRST PIC POST HERE,  so that way,  Sorry for inconveniences in case  something happen.

All the Vacform stash I have was  collected today for a family portrait specially for you and is here:  

The story goes that way: I was looking for some special subjects I wanted to complete some model blocks while buying kits for My Godfather Bruno  Escaler, and a friend I got in Ebay whom I have been buying some collector Items for Bruno sent us one Christmas as a gift a huge lot of kits that include many of those depicted here in the box, the others were  acquired in lots together with other kits and as Bruno don't want the Vac kits, gave me all his  part. 

There are many nice jewels here and others like the SEVERSKY P-35 in Black Carton are more than a challenge as those doesn't have any kind of detail...

The AIRMODEL kits were sold by a guy in Ebay at US$0.99 each and there are some others like the CAC Australian Sabre, P-51 H and F-86H that are RAREBITS and are well stored in another part of the Stash I Can't access easily tonight. 

The chosen subject to start with this nice treasure will be between the  p-43 lANCER AND hEINKEL 112, but think the better choice will be the Heinkel bird.

DSC01585DSC01587DSC01589DSC01591DSC01592

Cheers,  

Luis Alfonso

Hi Luis

First of all congratulations on doing such an excellent job of posting your first photos, they look brilliant. :clap2:

Wow what a collection ! 

Please put your build here on BM, there are lots of really helpful people on this site who can give advice and encouragement all the way. 

So what's stopping you :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat!

Congratulations on your first vacu build. Very nice result of an not so often seen subject.

To Nephew Luis Alfonso: Amazing job with the pics. Seems there are still some unseen treasures in Eldorado! Hope to see a lot more pics here soon...

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Mario said:

Hi Pat!

Congratulations on your first vacu build. Very nice result of an not so often seen subject.

To Nephew Luis Alfonso: Amazing job with the pics. Seems there are still some unseen treasures in Eldorado! Hope to see a lot more pics here soon...

Cheers,

Mario

Hi Pat and Uncle Mario!!!

I will follow your WIP as think isa nice recipe of what I have to do, and following your nice advices  soon will try my first Vacform kit. And Yes Uncle  Mario, Eldorado is a great place to get lost from time to time researching and resurfacing many old lost things from  the past...and now that I have found the way to post pics, for sure will start my first WIP with one of these nice treasures!!!

BTW have acquired some  new Vacform Items including an Airmodel Arado Ar 396 specifically to convert to a SIPA S211, will get the kit from abroad and when have it in my hands do the necessary and complementary research and for sure will grace the pages of this wonderful forum. BTW anyone who has info about this bird, all is welcome!!!

Cheers!!!!

Luis Alfonso 

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

Just now, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Pat and Uncle Mario!!!

Thank you very much for your words and encouragement to start!!!

PAT: I will follow your WIP and will read it carefully as think is a nice recipe of what I have to do, and following your nice advices  soon will try my first Vacform kit.

UNCLE MARIO: And Yes Uncle  Mario, Eldorado is a great place to get lost from time to time researching and resurfacing many old lost things from  the past...and now that I have found the way to post pics, for sure will start my f¡rst WIP with one of these nice treasures!!!

BTW have acquired some  new Vacform Items including an Airmodel Arado Ar 396 specifically to convert to a SIPA S211, will get the kit from abroad and when have it in my hands do the necessary and complementary research and for sure will grace the pages of this wonderful forum. BTW anyone who has info about this bird, all is welcome!!!

Cheers!!!!

Luis Alfonso 

1 hour ago, Luis Alfonso said:

...and now that I have found the way to post pics, for sure will start my forwst WIP with one of these nice treasures!!!

Luis Alfonso 

And it's about time that we actually see something from your workbench!

So no more excuses, Luis - roll out your treasures.

Kind regards from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

And it's about time that we actually see something from your workbench!

So no more excuses, Luis - roll out your treasures.

Kind regards from Vienna!

Roman

Hi Roman: 

Now as the path is known, for sure will rush with something soon!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Roman: 

Now as the path is known, for sure will rush with something soon!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Seems your pics triggered an avalanche! Obviously more and more people are pushing you towards the finishing line! Patience is a virtue...;)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mario said:

Seems your pics triggered an avalanche! Obviously more and more people are pushing you towards the finishing line! Patience is a virtue...;)

Cheers,

Uncle Mario

Hi Uncle  Mario The Guilty Martyr....as you sleep better as more guilty you are, for sure I think now you will  be sleeping very well for so many months  with generous help...Nice to be here My Friends!!! Soon will have a VACUFORM WIP... :)

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1