Rareplanes Supermarine 224, "First Spitfire" & my first Vacform

On 19/07/2017 at 9:57 PM, pheonix said:

Although I used to have some vacforms in my stash I never got around to building one (I sold them all). You are a braver man than me.....

Super model, very well finished. An unusual type too - as you write most modellers only have the choice of these vacforms or scratch build for the less well known types.

Hi Phoenix

Its never to late to buy one back and build it :wicked: I'm sure I might have a spare one you can have......:evil_laugh:

cheers Pat

On 20.07.2017 at 4:30 AM, Luis Alfonso said:

All the Vacform stash I have was  collected today for a family portrait specially for you and is here:  

Luis Alfonso - your vacu stash is really impressive! It looks that Rareplanes are not really rare!  I have done already in my life (mostly about 30-40 years ago) of  Rarepane: CW21, Lancer, Breda 65 and Sev P 35. In my stash I have one more - p59 Aircomet, which I likely will not do.  But I am really jaealus that you have two Curtiss Shrikes, if I see properly! 

Pat - nice subject and work. My first vacu was also Rareplane - Curtiss Wright CW21 (yesterday I rescued thread with her).

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

A very nicely finished model. I built one when it first came it in the early 1980's. I think I might still have it somewhere. Vacforms are alright once you get past the first one. I think Rareplanes ones are a good start as they were well designed and looked good on the sheet. My first vacform finished in 1982 was the Fulmar. I seemed to stop building them in the mid nineties when the children came along, but finished one last year so hopefully will get back in the groove.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JWM said:

Luis Alfonso - your vacu stash is really impressive! It looks that Rareplanes are not really rare!  I have done already in my life (mostly about 30-40 years ago) of  Rarepane: CW21, Lancer, Breda 65 and Sev P 35. In my stash I have one more - p59 Aircomet, which I likely will not do.  But I am really jaealus that you have two Curtiss Shrikes, if I see properly! 

Pat - nice subject and work. My first vacu was also Rareplane - Curtiss Wright CW21 (yesterday I rescued thread with her).

Regards

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

It was a lucky strilke to have all that nice stuff, was afraid to spoil  them but with God's Help will try soon something. 

Watching your post have remembered I also have the Airacomet P-59 kit...this one was together an old KARO-AS kit I bought second hand and partly built in Ebay some years ago together with other also part built kits a Gentleman was selling, I always wanted another of thiese birds and in the box together with the others came this, you can watch it here:

DSC01639

and also have this one:

DSC01635

and was thinking to have some ideas from the injected to improve  or substitute some small components from the Vac. That's the reason they were together in a separate box.

ALSO,  will appreciate your lead to the CW 21 page,  also was looking for another to make the CURTIS SNC-1 Trainer version of this aircraft used in Uruguay.

Cheers, 

Luis Alfonso

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

ALSO,  will appreciate your lead to the CW 21 page,  also was looking for another to make the CURTIS SNC-1 Trainer version of this aircraft used in Uruguay.

Have you noticed that LF is just releasing a series of two-seater Falcons: CW 22/19 etc... (the threads are on Rumourmonger)?

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JWM said:

Have you noticed that LF is just releasing a series of two-seater Falcons: CW 22/19 etc... (the threads are on Rumourmonger)?

Regards

J-W

Hi My Friend JERZY!!!!

Will look for them as was looking for another CW 21 to make some mods to get the trainer.

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi Pat:

I was reading carefully the WIP you have about this wonderful aircraft and have extracted all dealing with the BASIC VACUFORM BUILDING TECHNIQUES AND SECRETS, this thread is a REAL TUTORIAL for anyone interested in this type of modeling.  All the hints and tips you have received for this one are highly valuable and will be put in practice as soon I started with the Heinkel.

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

On 24/07/2017 at 11:57 PM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Pat:

I was reading carefully the WIP you have about this wonderful aircraft and have extracted all dealing with the BASIC VACUFORM BUILDING TECHNIQUES AND SECRETS, this thread is a REAL TUTORIAL for anyone interested in this type of modeling.  All the hints and tips you have received for this one are highly valuable and will be put in practice as soon I started with the Heinkel.

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

Hi Luis

I am really looking forward to following your build, and I think the Heinkel is an excellent choice for the first one.

You are very flattering as to my Vacform skills, there are lots of people on here with far more knowledge of Vacforms than I, but I will be delighted to help in any way I can, good luck.

kindest regards Pat