Strategic Air Command Star-spangled Sash FS Colour Match

Moggy

Hi!

I've been searching for an FS colour match for the blue backgound in the Strategic Air Command starry sash - without results.

Does anybody have a match? Preferably Federal Standard but I'll be grateful for other suggestions :)

TIA, Moggy

Major USAF Commands had/have their own marking regulations and specifications apart from those in T.O. 1-1-4. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the SAC regs, but I'll see what I can find. Insignia Blue might seem the obvious choice, but SAC had a way of doing its own thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Major USAF Commands had/have their own marking regulations and specifications apart from those in T.O. 1-1-4. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the SAC regs, but I'll see what I can find. Insignia Blue might seem the obvious choice, but SAC had a way of doing its own thing.

Thank you very much!

This is not a definitive answer, but may help move the discussion along. Personally, I would have assumed (I know... bad idea) that the banner was insignia blue. However, I went searching for some colour photos - of operational aircraft... I try not to use museum or display aircraft for references. Do you realize how difficult it is to find close-up photos of SAC bombers? Cross that yellow line and you'll lose more that your picture! Anyway, it looks like there is no definitive answer. In the photos below you can see everything from a very dark, possibly insignia blue, through a lighter possibly 'true' blue, to an even lighter blue. The photo of the B-58 crew is interesting in that it shows both the banner and insignia blue on the national markings.

Bob

running.jpg

squat crew.jpg

guard.jpg

B-58.jpg

I have recently acquired some 1/72 B-47 markings and the SAC shield is just outlined in blue with none of the colour for the mailed fist, lightning bolts or olive branch! Its probably right but every photo above includes what I think of as the normal SAC shield!

Simon

Simon as the 2nd photo shows a b-47. It clearly shows that the shields crest should be on a blue field. Which blue i leave to you. You can make a stencil from tape in the size of the shield. Then paint the blue of your choosing. Then lay the decal over that.

I have some Me 109 markings with butcher bird shields/crests that are clear. As the different staffels used different colors. That decal set came with the paper for the stencil to be photocopied however many times i need. You may have a similar situation with your decals. 

Dennis