Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3

Hello all

This is an Airfix Bf109, and is my fourth ever model, so of course it won't be as good as the masterpieces you guys create, but I tried my hardest and it was a really nice kit, with everything just falling into place, and I highly recommend it. I hope you guys enjoy!

Best Wishes

BetaSingh

Image Gallery

• Like 11

Hi Betasingh,

I can see you are on the right path. Follow the advice of the experts on this forum and your will go from strength to strength. A good start!

Martin

• Like 2

Hello Beta singh... very good start. :yes: Keep up the good work And keep practicing. A little secret about those masterpieces you like. Ive been building models since i was 8-9 years old. I still feel like i have things to learn. But im happy with what i produce. The best advice i can give you is practice, practice, and more practice. And above all remember this. If you are happy with the model when you're done then it is a masterpiece. 

• Like 3

Hi Betasingh,

I like your 109! You should have seen my 4th ever model. I don't even think it was painted and it was a 1/100 Heller Cadet offering, with a little green rubber glue container, that went everywhere except where it was meant to go....

Just try to use a bit less paint on your brush next time. That will make a big difference. I suppose you have used the little paint tinlets from the kit.... I personally believe this paint is difficult to use, which won't help someone starting in the hobby.

But I have to bitch at least once a day, and so far today I have been a very good boy. 

Great show. Keep at it, and keep having fun!

JR

• Like 5

It's great to see someone starting out with such enthusiasm! The camo pattern looks great and it's obvious that you approached the model in a very ambitious way. Like others have commented, modelling is about having fun and you're not competing with anybody except yourself. ;-)

Getting a really smooth brushed paint finish is an acquired skill that takes a lot of practice. Generally, it's best to thin the paint a bit and then paint thinner but several layers, letting them dry completely between coats. The thinner paint will let the details through.

Best of luck with your next project! I'm looking forward to have it displayed here.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 4

The wing camouflage is done well. I'm a newbie too and all the advice on here is amazing and really helps me. I like 109's too. Keep it up

2 hours ago, pizzapaolo said:

Nice 109. When I got back into the hobby a few years back, the biggest tip I would offer is to get some tamiya (or other brand) masking tape, its essential for painting nice straight lines. 

What he said. Masking can be a total PITA. AND take far more time and effort than actually applying the paint (ask me how I know). BUT getting your camo demarcation just that little bit sharper (on splinter at least) will make a huge difference. Other than that...what can I say; on to number 5. I want to see what you can do (as long as you make it a Spit!!).

Thanks for the reference, although unfortunately, my modelling is very budget, so if I could buy the tools that you guys have, I would, but I try to do the best that I can with what I have, although I'll definitely have a look at that masking tape.

Welcome to the madhouse!!  It is great to see new people getting into the hobby - sometimes it seems as though we are a dying breed...!!!  The fact that you are now 4 models in shows that you are at least enjoying it so far!!  Everyone here will always give good positive comments and encouragement - we all love seeing completed models and the skill of individuals grow as they build more.  Keep up the good work and keep enjoying it!!

Looking forward to seeing more.

Phil

2 hours ago, BetaSingh said:

I try to do the best that I can with what I have, although I'll definitely have a look at that masking tape.

If your money is tight try to get the basics right to start with: craft knife and blades, coarse and a fine sanding stick(s), masking tape, good brushes, appropriate cement, body putty and a basic set of paints. These will be one-off items (mainly) and so the upfront cost will even out over time and you will be on your way to being a modeller! ;)

Good luck,

Martin

8 hours ago, BetaSingh said:

Thanks, as you wanted me to ask, how do you know about the masking tape, and I'm sorry to disappoint, but Number 5 is an Italeri F-51D Mustang.

Hi again BetaSingh,

the Italeri F-51D makes a great model, but you may encounter some fit issues. This is just a small warning. I know of several people who did, so some putty and some wet and dry sand paper may be needed, that is if you haven't got any yet.

Then it is likely that it will be a natural metal finish. What paint do you intend using to achieve that?

Even if a model is tricky, remember that every one you build is part of the learning curve, irrespective of the final result. To be honest, a disaster every now and then will teach you a lot. But I am sure your Mustang will look great!

JR

• Like 1

Its miles better than my fourth build, an Airfix Gnat if I remember correctly, and I look forward to following your inevitable progress on this site.

Martian

:welcome:

A great looking'109.  My fourth ever kit was almost certainly covered in gluey fingerprints and paint that wouldn't dry because I hadn't mixed it properly, two things that you've obviously avoided.  Mind you, it was a very long time ago (sob).  Anyway, keep up the good work and it's really nice to see someone's cutting mat that's nearly as messy as mine (but not quite!). 

Second all the comments so far. I use only basic tools, and my most complicated tool is a cheap, battery-powered rotary toothbrush with emery paper superglued to the bristles.

One point about the model is that on a Bf 109 the undercarriage legs are angled outward which can be seen on photos of the real aircraft.

But overall a great build for only a 4th model! All the best!

DennisTheBear

Well done, Mate! 

I dare say, a fair bit better than my fourth plane model (though only a dim memory to me now)!!

As the other contributors have advised, stick to the basics and don't feel like you have to get all the fancy gadgets straight away.

Over time you will likely accumulate a decent collection of tools, brushes, etc.

Make sure you have fun with the hobby and you will improve as you go.

:goodjob:

• Like 1