FAA Corsair Mk IV fuselage carbon monoxide vents

Jon Kunac-Tabinor

Hi all - so I'm working on Hobbyboss Corsair MkII ( as a mk IV), and apart from a few minor niggles ( crap propeller- rebuilt to look like a 13'1' HS one now), rather overdone fabric on the main wings, and a slightly off cowling lip profile ( too angular it seems to me), its a pretty good kit.  I need to refit the 'pit with UK radio and set belts, but that's fine.  However what is is missing is the fuselage intakes and vent used on FAA machines to stop the build up of carbon monoxide inside.  Does anyone have a decent pic of the fuselage side intake and under neath vent so I can scratch these. Its very hard to discern these in pics from google searches

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jonners

IIRC, there has been discussion and photos that show the vent and the intakes, but the title of the posts escapes me at the moment- you might try a search for Corsair Mk IV or FAA Corsair fuselage vents for starters. Will see if I can find the original post....I bet TOT will remember!

Mike

Try this link to a great photo collection of the FAA Museum's Corsair Mk IV posted by one of our members, onewinglow- should be very helpful for your project and thanks to him for sharing this outstanding reference! Scroll down the first page of the discussion to see the link.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935037-corsair-iv-117d-kd750-1846-nas/

Edited by 72modeler
added link to topic discussion

8 hours ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Hi all - so I'm working on Hobbyboss Corsair MkII ( as a mk IV), and apart from a few minor niggles ( crap propeller- rebuilt to look like a 13'1' HS one now), rather overdone fabric on the main wings, and a slightly off cowling lip profile ( too angular it seems to me), its a pretty good kit.  I need to refit the 'pit with UK radio and set belts, but that's fine.  However what is is missing is the fuselage intakes and vent used on FAA machines to stop the build up of carbon monoxide inside.  Does anyone have a decent pic of the fuselage side intake and under neath vent so I can scratch these. Its very hard to discern these in pics from google searches

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jonners

Jon, 

I have  good photos of both vents that I shared with Fundekals. They reproduced them in the PDF instructions that you can download here:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_RN.html

HTH,

IG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iang said:

Jon, 

I have  good photos of both vents that I shared with Fundekals. They reproduced them in the PDF instructions that you can download here:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_RN.html

HTH,

IG

Ah - thank you Ian - much appreciated. Perfect!

Jonners

Hi Jon,

There were two versions of the CO vents.  Most photos show the British-installed versions seen on the Mk.I through Mk.III.  The Mk.IV had a Goodyear installed variation, seen on page 60 of Aircraft Pictorial #8 (Corsair Vol 2).

The Mk.IVs were also delivered with the "short short" wing tips (page 59), rather than the short tips seen on earlier FAA Corsairs.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Jon,

There were two versions of the CO vents.  Most photos show the British-installed versions seen on the Mk.I through Mk.III.  The Mk.IV had a Goodyear installed variation, seen on page 60 of Aircraft Pictorial #8 (Corsair Vol 2).

The Mk.IVs were also delivered with the "short short" wing tips (page 59), rather than the short tips seen on earlier FAA Corsairs.

Cheers,

Dana

Dana,

Do you know whether the Mk.I to Mk III system required the bottom fuselage vent? I have photographs of Corsair II or III that do not show a bottom fuselage vent. These photographs are of upturned Corsairs after deck landing accidents, so I was wondering how common it was for Mk II or III not to have the bottom vent fitted, as it is hard to see in most photos with the aircraft parked?

Jon,

The photos I gave you a link to all show vents from Mk IV Corsairs.

IG

Edited by iang
  • Like 1

Hi Jon,

The British system seemed to depend on a lower vent to exhaust the gasses, but the vent was wider and flatter than the American export* design.  If the aircraft has the side intakes, I believe the lower vent is there - if hard to see.  (Not having seen British records, I sometimes wonder if the UK had a second exhaust design.)  The US design is much more easily recognized, by comparison.

Cheers,

Dana

* The American vents for USN and Kiwi use were flush intakes exhausting through the tail wheel doors.  The USN originally decided against vents, hoping instead to solve the problem by sealing the bulkheads behind the pilot - they were wrong...

• Like 2

On 7/18/2017 at 1:11 PM, Dana Bell said:

Hi Jon,

The British system seemed to depend on a lower vent to exhaust the gasses, but the vent was wider and flatter than the American export* design.  If the aircraft has the side intakes, I believe the lower vent is there - if hard to see.  (Not having seen British records, I sometimes wonder if the UK had a second exhaust design.)  The US design is much more easily recognized, by comparison.

Cheers,

Dana

* The American vents for USN and Kiwi use were flush intakes exhausting through the tail wheel doors.  The USN originally decided against vents, hoping instead to solve the problem by sealing the bulkheads behind the pilot - they were wrong...

Thanks Dana the lower exhaust vent is very difficult to see in a lot of photos - for obvious reasons. And the GSB finish of Mk IVs makes spotting the side intakes tricky too in a lot of shots.

Interestingly I looked at the Hobby boss clipped-wing yesterday and decided it wasn't quite clipped enough to be the "short short" version, but was too square at its tip to be the original short one too. So I shortened the short wing tip to make it short short for shore :)  It looks a lot better. I'll post some pics later.

One other thing for builders of the HobbyBoss kit to note is that the exhaust opening behind the cowling gills isn't quite right in shape- lacking the semicircular cut out for one of the pipes at its front edge. Nor does it have any kind of internal ducting - so your pipes will just be poking out of a hole. The cowling nose-lip profile is defo too square too. ( memories of the Hobbycraft F8F blunt cowling lip here!).  

My Aeromaster decals arrived yesterday though - so KD572 can live!

cheers

Jonners