Aussie Matilda`s,....... what colour?

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I`m building an Aussie Matilda from the New Guinea campaign,...... I think that there were a dark jungle green something like Bronze Green, but is there a particular Humbrol colour that is right for them? I have painted it using Tamiya IJGDF Green which is quite dark,..... is this OK do you think? If anybody can please advise that would be great thanks,

Cheers

Tony

Reading a topic on another site with regards to Aussie Matildas, the consensus was that the colour used on Australian AFV's in the latter stages of the Pacific war was Khaki Green No.3. It was slightly different to the British version of this colour. In this post they quoted a mix by Mike Starmer for Humbrol paints as follows;

10 pts Humbrol 150, 2 pts Humbrol 100,  1 pt Humbrol 33 with 1 pt Humbrol flat white for scale effect. 

HTH's.

John.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Reading a topic on another site with regards to Aussie Matildas, the consensus was that the colour used on Australian AFV's in the latter stages of the Pacific war was Khaki Green No.3. It was slightly different to the British version of this colour. In this post they quoted a mix by Mike Starmer for Humbrol paints as follows;

10 pts Humbrol 150, 2 pts Humbrol 100,  1 pt Humbrol 33 with 1 pt Humbrol flat white for scale effect. 

HTH's.

John.

Thanks John,..... much appreciated and thanks for replying,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Sounds interesting Tony. I used Tamiya XF13 Japanese Army green for the 1:76 scale Airfix kit I put together a year or so ago (on the recommendation of another Britmodeller), and I think it looked OK.

32F57606-5635-4DFD-A5F9-5BC62805A275_zpsk3cpedxa

82D400C0-3A5F-4756-AFA4-FD1226255EF1_zpsjot71yzv

. I am kicking myself that I didn't pick up a conversion kit for an Aussie Matilda for the Tamiya 1:35 kit at a local model expo a few months ago. It was just a little too expensive for me (as well as looking a little tricky for my limited skill set)

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 2

Hi Tony,

I thought one of the Australian sites had info on the colour of the Matildas but the closest I could find was on the Mouse House Enterprises web site (They do a lot of accessories and even paints for Australian Armour).

This article has info on markings and marking colours - not sure if the "service colour" is meant to be the overall green on the tanks or not.

http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Matilda/Markings WW2.htm

Regards

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info fella`s,........ here is the finished model,..... I made the distinctive armoured ring around the base of the turret using plastic card!;

DSCF0800

Cheers again,

Tony

• Like 3