Camouflage help

Ok i know the RAF Dk. Green, Medium sea grey, Ocean Grey was the follow on to the Temperate land scheme of Dark Earth, Dark Green over Sky or a variation of grey. 

What was the Dk green, Med Sea grey, ocean grey scheme called ? I cant for the life of me remember ? And when the RAF went back to camouflaging jets such as lightnings, Phantoms, Harriers etc. What was the scheme called and were they the same colors or similar but different ? Any help as usual will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Dennis

As above, it was called the Day Fighter Scheme in WW2.

The similar scheme on cold war era RAF fast jets used all BS381 colours which Ocean Grey wasn't part of. The scheme on, fregsample a Phantom, used Dark Sea Grey instead of Ocean Grey and the underside was High Speed Silver initially and later became Light Aircraft Grey instead of Medium Sea Grey. Large aircraft such as the V-bombers, Hercules and the like tended to be Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey over white or Light Aircraft Grey.

• Like 1

I can't remember any official name for postwar schemes. Some were sometime known as the type of aircraft they were supposed to be applied to, for example the short range fighter scheme. May well be that these names are more used by us modellers than the relevant authorities though.

The Dark Green /Dark Sea Grey scheme first appeared with PRU Blue undersides for use on "Day fighters - Long range and day intruders" sometime in 1951 and then spread to other cathegories with different underside colours

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2