new Airfix 1/72 Me262A kit decals question on accuracy

Wm Blecky

To my knowledge this new 262 kit is not yet out, but there are enough pictures of the box art and this has raised a question for me on the accuracy of what the "proposed" decals will be.  Yellow 3 as the markings show has a blue and white checked fuselage band:

A - Messerschmitt Me262A-1A 9./Kampfgeschwader(J) 54, Neuburg an der Donau, Bavaria, Germany, March-April 1945

This is similar to a 262 sheet from EagleCals from many years back:

Image result for eaglecals 1/72 262a

Where my question arises, I have a set of decals produced by Dave Wadman and Dave Brown (Experten Decals) that show the same aircraft with a green and white fuselage band:

$_57.JPG

Does anyone know if there has been new information in the last number of years that confirms one or the other?

My info has the Blue/White checks would be for Kg. 54 and Green/White checks are an alternative for Jg 27's solid green. Considering Jg. 27 never used Me.262's to my knowledge. Im guessing its accurate. Then again My info might be flawed but those are my impressions. 

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

My info has the Blue/White checks would be for Kg. 54 and Green/White checks are an alternative for Jg 27's solid green. Considering Jg. 27 never used Me.262's to my knowledge. Im guessing its accurate. Then again My info might be flawed but those are my impressions. 

Thanks for your reply.  It's interesting as Wadman and Brown's work for the day was supposed to be very accurate and well researched.  I do not remember if it was released before or after the EagleCals sheet/research. It's amazing as time goes on how once "accurate" information is shown to be wrong or misinterpreted as new information is made available.

I had met Dave Wadman several years ago, nice fellow.  Sure wish I could cross paths again with him to get his take on this question today!  I think it would be most interesting and a good history lesson for me.

Blue/White would be the correct colours for the Karoband on Yellow 3.

Shortly after the release of our Experten booklet and decal we uncovered further information on these markings and my colleague David E.Brown wrote an addendum to the the markings

entry in the booklet which was posted on both the Stormbirds and Hyperscale web sites plus others which I can't recall at the moment.

You can read this addendum at:  http://www.stormbirds.com/experten/products3addendum.htm

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Aircraft number correction
  • Like 3

Alot is left to guesswork. As most info is gleaned from Reich paperwork or B/W photograph's. With B/W photos colors come across very different than in real life. Ive seen yellow surrounds on roundels look blue or even black in old photographs. Same for yellow nosed Messerschmitts. So there is nothing wrong with the research done by wadman and brown. Chalk it up to photo interpretation. The best bet I use is to research, research, and more research. When it comes to Defense of the Reich bands really get these Down to a very specific time frame. As these changed at least 4 times some papers and research suggest 5 times just in the last 12 months of the war. figure out what squadron/staffell in the luftwaffe you will represent. Then research everything you can about that unit.   

• Like 1

GOMBS show - now that must have been some time ago!

Our Experten sheet pre-dates Jerry's Eaglecal sheet by a few years but we did have numerous exchanges of information etc with him about not only the 262 work but also our 190D offerings.

Cheers

Dave