CurtissP-40B Warhawk and Nakajima B5N2 "Kate"

These were 2 of 3  aircraft from the Airfix Pearl Harbour Anniversary set. Unfortunately the "Zero" was piloted by a Kamikaze pilot and it flew straight into the bin of doom! In truth I could not get the canopy looking anything near decent, far too intricate and I over weathered it and could not get back to looking acceptable to my eye. I have come to the decision that weathering is a dark art and I am in awe of those people who do it well. That said all 3 models went together well with very little filler required.

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

I hope you have enjoyed viewing them as much as I enjoyed building them, look forward to your comments please be kind. Off now to finish the 'Tirpitz' that I have had 75% finished for the past twelve months. Watch this space as they say.

• Like 26

Nice clean job and a shame about the Zero. I had the same canopy issues you described on an attempt of the dog fight doubles set last year. How did you find the decals with the Kate? I've just picked up this kit for a bargain and am about to start the Kate... Looking at them there is the possibility for a lot of silvering due to the amount of clear print between the white lines on the tail for example. Your's look great though. Did you cut the excess away? Also, do you mind me asking what colour you used for the green camo? Airfix say Humbrol 30 which is the same for a Spitfire camo and it just doesn't sound right?!

A great looking duo.  I particularly like the Kate with its colourful markings.  Pity the Zero went west but such are the fortunes of war. 

On 2017-7-16 at 22:42, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Nice clean job and a shame about the Zero. I had the same canopy issues you described on an attempt of the dog fight doubles set last year. How did you find the decals with the Kate? I've just picked up this kit for a bargain and am about to start the Kate... Looking at them there is the possibility for a lot of silvering due to the amount of clear print between the white lines on the tail for example. Your's look great though. Did you cut the excess away? Also, do you mind me asking what colour you used for the green camo? Airfix say Humbrol 30 which is the same for a Spitfire camo and it just doesn't sound right?!

Yes my wife picked this kit up for a snip, a very welcome birthday present! The decals on all the kits went on really well but are a little on the thick side, took quite a lot of Micro Sol to get them to conform and in places it wasn't entirely satisfactory.

The Kate was painted in Tamiya Acrylic Deep Green(XF 26) I have had no success with Humbrol acrylics so I tend to stick with Tamiya and use a paint conversion chart I found on the net.

I have experimented with weathering but still have long way to go. But as I said 3 very enjoyable projects.

• Like 1

very neat work!

weathering really requires looking at photos and  some  experimenting,  if on stand you  could use chalks or pastels,  which are easy to  wipe off if you don't  like them.

Have a  google, lots of stuff on youtube.

for the above,  the USAAF was not at  war,  and  the IJN was at  the height of it's powers,  so both planes would be very well maintained,  some exhaust streaks and some minor oil stains is allI would expect to see, and that  would soon get cleaned off.

While some planes did get very weathered, many had very  short operational lives.    

Again, try to find a  photo, these days most you  can find the images decals are based  on online, or just ask herein the relevant bits.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Excellent...was just thinking 'the transfers on that Kate must have a total b*gger to do. And yet they look pretty much perfect. How did he do that?' And now I know! Lovely build. As for the Zero...we've all been there. Mine was a Tamiya 1/48 Spit 1. Looked superb and I was REALLY pleased with it...until mistake was followed by muck up, was followed by total disaster, was followed by 'shot down over the Channel not far from Hawkinge'. Which, considering where I live, is pretty appropriate! But credit to you, back in the saddle and still pedalling...

That's a fine pair of models - well done!

I have built the P-40B too and really enjoyed it - I like the early-war look to them.

The "Kate" is awesome too!

:goodjob: