Which Panzer IV Ausf. H in 1/72 ?

KRK4m

There are plenty of 72nd scale kits of this most numerous German WW2 tank and each one has its own afficionados.

Do you think is the new Modelcollect 72078 any improvement over the well established offerings by ESCI/Italeri, Hasegawa, Dragon and Revell?

Cheers

Michael

IMHO, the only Pz.IV Ausf.H kit to get right now would be the Dragon or Revell kit, really, it's a bit of a toss up between the two as they are both really well done.  I haven't been able to find any pictures of the Modelcollect kit, but if it came with the Zimmerit as in the box art and if the quality was on par (or better) than the Revell or Dragon kits, then hands down, it's the one to beat.

• 9 months later...

There's still no Modelcollect Pz.IV Ausf.H on the market, however the new tool Zvezda kit of this variant in Braille scale has reached the shelves 2 weeks ago.

Has anybody compared it to the Revell one? Both feature some ~150 parts but which one is better shapewise?

Cheers

Michael

I've seen the Zvezda Panzer IVH for the first time last week.

Different to their other (previous) kits, this is not a 'snap-fit' model.

It has more parts, and very good detail, and may be a worthy competitor to the Revell and Dragon offerings.

Yet I haven't built one so comments reflect to 'first-impression' from the box parts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

At last I have managed to put the Zvezda 5017 and Revell 03184 next to each other on my desk and my vote goes to the Russian newbie.

Dimensionally both kits are identical (Zvezda gun barrel is 1mm longer), the surface detailling is equally crisp and there are no sink marks in neither of the two.

Although Revell kit features 204 parts compared to Zvezda's 147, one must notice that Revell tracks consist of 46 hard styrene parts while Zvezda uses just two flexible bandages.

This reduces the difference from 57 to just 13 parts - if it counts for anything.

There are very few reasons (separate entry hatches, commander external MG over the turret and of course the decals set) for buying the Revell kit, but if you build your AFVs with closed hatches and the aftermarket decal sets aren't strange for you then your vote should follow my choice.

Cheers

Michael

Definitely NOT Dragon.....Horrid kit from a horrid company.  :shutup:

I have Revell for my Ausf Hs, but the Zvezda kit looks very good too.....Modelcollect have one in their future plans, if it's as good as their modern Russian stuff it will be superb, but possibly with irritating errors (they're a lot like Dragon used to be before they completely ceased to care what their customers thought of them). 

FWIW