Welcome to Britmodeller.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

• Announcements

• Mike

PhotoBucket are no longer permitting 3rd party hosting   01/07/17

As most of you are now painfully aware, Photobucket (PB) are stopping/have stopped allowing their members to link their accumulated years of photos into forums and the like, which they call 3rd party linking.  You can give them a non-refundable $399 a year to allow links, but I doubt that many will be rushing to take them up on that offer.  If you've previously paid them for the Pro account, it looks like you've got until your renewal to find another place to host your files, but you too will be subject to this ban unless you fork over a lot of cash.   PB seem to be making a concerted move to another type of customer, having been the butt of much displeasure over the years of a constantly worsening user interface, sloth and advertising pop-ups, with the result that they clearly don't give a hoot about the free members anymore.  If you don't have web space included in your internet package, you need to start looking for another photo host, but choose carefully, as some may follow suit and ditch their "free" members at some point.  The lesson there is keep local backups on your hard drive of everything you upload, so you can walk away if the same thing happens.   There's a thread on the subject here, so please use that to curse them, look for solutions or generall grouse about their mental capacity.   Not a nice situation for the forum users that hosted all their photos there, and there will now be a host of useless threads that relied heavily on photos from PB, but as there's not much we can do other than petition for a more equitable solution, I suggest we make the best of what we have and move on.  One thing is for certain.  It won't win them any friends, but they may not care at this point.    Mike.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
T7 Models

Jets are getting even more grey

I notice both from the aviation press and visiting Yeovilton and Fairford on successive weekends that the RAF's Typhoons are rapidly losing all of their squadron colours and even their individual code letters, instead having the 'last three' of the serial number repeated on the fin. I have heard that this is to prevent revenge attacks against members of individual squadrons taking part in operations against the likes of Daesh, but it all seems rather headscratchingly excessive to me if so. The jets are looking so boringly dull without markings, but at least they can bin the contract with the suppliers of self adhesive squadron markings and save a few quid. Whatever happened to esprit de corps?

1 person likes this

If this is due to trying to mitigate potential revenge attacks, wouldn't this be 'giving in' to terrorism is some nominal way? I vote for the opposite - embellish these fighting jets with campaign flags and bomb logs as a reminder to all what the RAF and other coalition air forces stand for. 

... makes for better models as welll! 

Cheers.. Dave

2 people like this

I'm guessing it will be something to do with pooling resources. I understand the F-35 fleet will be similarly lacking in unit markings.

1 person likes this

So the aircraft get pooled. Might they not at least be marked up for the squadrons that operate them , even if the pilot on board isn't from that particular unit. As before, esprit de corps.

The US Navy's F/A-18's, on the other hand, seem to be returning (somewhat, anyway) to the old-style colorful markings.

1 person likes this

Its just down to showing their age..  we're all going grey.      For a long time now since the end of colourful unit markings(other than specials) Modern military have lost their appeal to me.  

Didn't they try pooling in the Sixties, and gave it up a few years later because of the loss of morale and esprit de corps? That was The Bean Counters' idea as well.....

They certainly decided to pool all the groundcrew at wing/station level. Aircraft were still generally held at squadron level, but a lot of people were very unhappy. Certainly some of the larger aircraft types were 'owned' at wing level, including Nimrods, Hercules and the V-bombers, but combat types were still allocated to individual squadrons for many years afterwards. Even then there were variations. During the latter years of Tornado ops with the Marham and Lossiemouth wings, one wing allocated aircraft to squadrons and the other was pooled. I can never remember which was which.

Could be for moving Aircraft across the squadrons to fill holes left by cut backs. Britannia Sqns 99 and 511 had pooled Aircraft and ground crew and no Sqn markings on them. Which beggars the question...

Not suggesting for one minute this is the case but ... The Germans tricked Chamberlaine during the pre war Munich Crisis with Sqn after Sqn with the same 10 ish aircraft shifted around Bavaria. He thought they had hundreds...It backfired though, The Air Force Expansion Scheme came in on the back of the perceived threat.

I think its called duty of care gentlemen....all very well set in your armchair flag waving but one has to remember we are in very different times and a much more integrated (in some cases) or at least connected electronically and potentially dangerous society...sadly.:angrysoapbox.sml:Nothing personal by the way people.

Did people go on about  not another grey and green cab in the 70s? 

meanwhile its not just fast jets look at the Merlin MK4 bloomin' grey.....nothing to do with being more naval as was thought....were going to be like the FAT Lynx mk10 but a cost saving option on dark grey which was signed off.....not sure how that works .:christmas:

1 person likes this

On 7/16/2017 at 10:30 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

If this is due to trying to mitigate potential revenge attacks, wouldn't this be 'giving in' to terrorism is some nominal way? I vote for the opposite - embellish these fighting jets with campaign flags and bomb logs as a reminder to all what the RAF and other coalition air forces stand for. 

... makes for better models as welll! 

Cheers.. Dave

Not really, when said jets are plastering the proverbial seven shades out of IS at the moment... 

The identity of the squadrons involved isn't that hard to work out - it's one of five at the moment¹, possibly gusting to eight over the next couple of years - but there is sufficient aptitude amongst some of our home-grown would-be-jihadi warriors to be able to make an educated guess about individuals whose PERSEC isn't quite as tight as it might be being involved in Op SHADER.  

The threat can be to families - if I may be forgiven a mildly political observation, let's not forget that these heroes are quite happy to murder and maim children - not least since it's families who sometimes put stuff on Facebook (despite being told not to) about their relatives flying about in Typhoons and Tornados.

Also, you'll notice that an awful lot of interviews in Air Forces Monthly these days tend to refer to aircrew by their nicknames or first names. Although squadron bosses tend to get named, not all of them do.  Judging threat levels - and these can, under certain circumstances, change within the space of 10 minutes from one to the other and then back again - is a dark art, particularly these days. Better safe, rather than sorry, even if it leads to a spot less colour...

¹ - Obviously, that's just the Typhoons about which we're talking here; but it isn't rocket science to discover the ID of the GR4 and Reaper units either!

Edited by XV107
4 people like this

Wise words from XV107 as usual.

As an alternative, perhaps the RAF are simply preparing a fleet of plain canvases for the myriad of "RAF 100" special anniversary schemes we'll see in 2018.

Edited by Richard E

The fairly high hour usage due to current operations will also have an effect, since aircraft have to be rotated for minor and major servicings to appropriate UK bases. It seems probable that individual airframes may not necessarily be returned to the same units. Also the markings would only be applied in the base paint shop, not somewhere the jets will often be available for.

Makes sense not to hold individual  squadron markings therefore - and those markings do (slightly) compromise the grey low visibility paint schemes. Important for active service.

Shame , but unsurprising.

Excellent post, XV107.