RD.57D-C 1/48 CA B.57 kit bash

Ok I've been skipping around this one for some time, but now it's time to grasp the nettle! I hope to get it done in time for this years Scale Model World at Telford in November, it's a long way off but it's a big build with a lot of scratch building mainly on the new wing but a lot of other airframe mod's. I don't expect this will be a quick build, but it should be fun? :)

250%20B-57%200-33969%20USAF_zps1chvnzyj.

John

• Like 11

Thanks Trevor, Tony, Roger. I'm waiting for some Aluminium to come through the post so I can start hacking up the kit wings, I'm starting with the wing as this is the Kingpin of the project, if I can't get this right I will need a plan B!

John

• Like 1

Hello,John - I like your new callsign image showing your father.This new project is going to be a big and interesting beastie and I have no doubt that some more Canberra-related excellence is on its way.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Just a thought, but could you somehow use the kit wing outboard of the engine as a core for the extended wing? Maybe not the whole thing but spars say of 5mm wide to give it rigidity?

Trevor

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - I like your new callsign image showing your father.This new project is going to be a big and interesting beastie and I have no doubt that some more Canberra-related excellence is on its way.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

Thanks Paul, it a nice photo of him looking the dashing Fighter Pilot :) As for the RB.57D, it will be if I can sort the wings out :)

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Just a thought, but could you somehow use the kit wing outboard of the engine as a core for the extended wing? Maybe not the whole thing but spars say of 5mm wide to give it rigidity?

Trevor

Good thought Trevor but the longer wing on the D unlike that of the F was the same aerodynamic section and depth so I will need to fully remove the section. What I may do is cut the nacelle away so the new wing slides in for a stronger joint, I don't want art imitating life :)

a--rb-57d_zps6ty3umdu.jpg

John    

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Hook said:

Perhaps the 1/72nd High Planes kits can serve as a pattern.

Cheers,

Andre

The HP RB/EB.57D is as are all the HP Canberra's an accurate model, in this case, aside from the PR.9 the RB.57D is the Canberra I have the most info on. So I'm fine for what I need :)

John 

• Like 1

Bird with a broken wing - nothing more folorn-looking.

You can imagine the comments from the septet of onlookers in the photo:

'I barely touched it and it came away.'

'I don't suppose anyone has any glue with them?'

'Let's leave before anyone notices and takes a photograph.'

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Yes, walking away nonchalantly, whistling quietly to themselves :)

John  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You forgot "It was already like that when I got here!"  :-)

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

It's time to start planning the make or break part of the build; the wings! So far as I know there are no 1/48 scale plane of the RB/EB.57D so I've scaled up a 1/72 scale plan from a well known publication, after checking the the plans against my reference it turns out the plans are wrong in span but good in cord and quite close in angle, as you will see. One problem I have now is as I'm using the CA kit as my base but the wings in this kit are short in cord so I will need to modify the plan to suite. The panel detail is not right ether, but that is for later, I have to get the things cut out first! :) In the following illustration the RED line is the CA kit line, the Yellow the corrected trailing edge and the Blue the origanel plan line.

Wing%20scale%20plan_zpscqto532u.jpeg

John  

• Like 2