RD.57D-C 1/48 CA B.57 kit bash

10 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Canberra minor repair ap? It is not the "Pilots Notes" right? Seems like my local bookshop will not have it :-D

So I could use the CA kit as a reference when it comes to the wing panel lines?

Thanks a lot John!

René

Hi René you're right I don't think you'll find it at your local book shop :) The CA kit will serve you well for a B.2 ignore the detail on the CA bomb bay doors, from what I remember rightly it is the aplicable to the T.17 not the B.2. Are you doing a late or early B.2? Have you had a look at my early B.2 build?

Regards

John  

• Like 1

Hi John

Great work thus far but I am going to stop you working again with a question; do you know if it is possible to buy these 'T.Os' at an aero jumble of any plane, not just the Canberra, they are a gold mine of info. I have no doubt most of it would be in a foreign language but I can read a drawing;)

Cheers

Gary

8 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Hi John

Great work thus far but I am going to stop you working again with a question; do you know if it is possible to buy these 'T.Os' at an aero jumble of any plane, not just the Canberra, they are a gold mine of info. I have no doubt most of it would be in a foreign language but I can read a drawing;)

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

The AP's do pop up at Aero Jumbles in the UK, they start around £30 depending on which book it is and Aircraft and go up from there. T.O.'s are less easy to come by, the Americans are a bit more strict about what get's out. 

John

15 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi René you're right I don't think you'll find it at your local book shop :) The CA kit will serve you well for a B.2 ignore the detail on the CA bomb bay doors, from what I remember rightly it is the aplicable to the T.17 not the B.2. Are you doing a late or early B.2? Have you had a look at my early B.2 build?

Regards

John  

Really have no clue wher to look for this Canberra minor repair AP - even google seems to be of no help. What is the "AP" for?

My plan was to rescribe the Canberra parts on my holiday in France. But due to confusion with the CA parts and the drawing I got I decided to rescribe my Mirrage IV, Heller Constellation and Monogram B-25 :-) Final proof to swmbo that I am a nutter.

I have the Classic Airframes T.17 and hoped to use the main components as a reference for the Airfix B2 and B(I)8 boxings. The B2 shoudl be build as the record breaking VX 185 and the B(I)8 as WJ643 from Royal Aircraft Establishment.

Last Canberra in my stash is the PR9 which I like to build as XH169 "Persian Princess". Well - some day. And do not ask me about shelf space...

René

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HomerJ_757 said:

René,

AP stands for Air Publication, the RAF name for any manual whether aircraft, ground equipment, catering or administrative.  A lot have been replaced by JAP, joint air pubs.

Ian

On 21/09/2017 at 11:21 AM, Caerbannog said:

Really have no clue wher to look for this Canberra minor repair AP - even google seems to be of no help. What is the "AP" for?

My plan was to rescribe the Canberra parts on my holiday in France. But due to confusion with the CA parts and the drawing I got I decided to rescribe my Mirrage IV, Heller Constellation and Monogram B-25 :-) Final proof to swmbo that I am a nutter.

I have the Classic Airframes T.17 and hoped to use the main components as a reference for the Airfix B2 and B(I)8 boxings. The B2 shoudl be build as the record breaking VX 185 and the B(I)8 as WJ643 from Royal Aircraft Establishment.

Last Canberra in my stash is the PR9 which I like to build as XH169 "Persian Princess". Well - some day. And do not ask me about shelf space...

René

As Ian says René, if you are building VX185 as she was at the time of her double Atlantic crossing then you will need to change some of the detail, have you seen the B.5 album on my site? These are the two Repair AP's 

mTvTwc.jpg

John 

• Like 4

Well, I can tell you that my viewing experience is much enhanced, what ever it is you've done!👍

That cockpit assembly is looking pretty enhanced too.

Does the canopy hinge up the same way as the standard B57B etc? Or a whole different arrangement inside?

And how much lead are you managing to fit in?!

12 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, I can tell you that my viewing experience is much enhanced, what ever it is you've done!👍

That cockpit assembly is looking pretty enhanced too.

Does the canopy hinge up the same way as the standard B57B etc? Or a whole different arrangement inside?

And how much lead are you managing to fit in?!

That's good news Rob, the canopy works in the self same way as the B.57B the only difference is the rear part where the GIB sits is skinned over with Aluminium and painted white, as for weight, I didn't check it but it's less than normal, as you will see soon there is a big (milliput) Radome to fit, plus I'm hoping with the engines being that much further forward it will all help with keeping her on all three's. I'll also be making a ladder and a crew man so that will help too? 

John     

• Like 1

Another productive day at the coal face, after attaching the nose to the fuselage, I drilled a hole in the tip on the nose and added a length of sprue to act as a datum for the milliput radome.

mT0LZM.md.jpg

So it's out with the milliput, as you can see from the following photos the radome is quite substantial and it adds a nice lump of ballast to the nose.

mT0JzP.md.jpg

mT0kA5.md.jpg

John  

• Like 14

Today as been a day of bit's and bob's. The first job was to rub down the filler on the nose radome, I wasn't overly happy with the contour on the underside, so I've added some more milliput and I'll give it another rubdown tomorrow. I've also added some on the hatches applicable to the RB.57D-C2, which are highlighted in the next two photos. 

mdrVTA.jpg

in the next photo left to right in the; in the Yellow circle, this will be the position for the flight refueling floodlight will be fitted, the red boxes are where the upper fuselage access hatches are and the blue box is the air to air refueling receptacle. 

mdrEax.jpg

The white objects on the leading edge of the wings in the following photo are the larger generator intakes fitted to the D's

mdrngD.jpg

John 

• Like 12

Hello,John - Great work and progress since my last look.I think the figures look splendid and will add good interest and sense of scale too.

😉👍All the very best,Paul.

Whilst things are drying I've turned my attention to the undercarriage. The u/c as it comes with the kit is quite good, but like Airfix CA have not modified the nose wheel unit to represent the Martin version one, luckily I got the SAC white metal set which does have the correct nose wheel unit. Another issue with the Martin Canberra's concerns the main wheel hub's, none of the kit or the aftermarket kits have a true representation of the hub, CA have had a go at it but it's very flat and not very accurate, so I've made my own which a fellow SIG member cast for me, the following photo shows the unpainted CA wheels and my wheels.

mdriGd.jpg

The next wheel related job are the taxi lights in the main gear fairings, these replace the single wing mounted unit in the B.57A and B and the three wing mounted ones on the E. The RB.57D and RB.57F use the same set up. The modified unit is on the right.

mdrQh8.md.jpg

John 

• Like 7

Hi John,

Some good work being done, the cockpit looks great and your service guy certainly will add interest, sculpting of the nose looks nice too.

Your wheels look so much better great work all-round mate. :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

There will be people beating a path to your door for a pair of those wheels!

Have you done the front pair as well?

You don't realise how poor some kit wheels are, until you see a comparison like this.

Love the flats and bulges🌟🌟🌟

• Like 1

On 01/10/2017 at 4:24 PM, Hamden said:

Your wheels look sooooo much better than the CA ones

Roger

Thanks Roger, they are definitely better.

On 01/10/2017 at 5:10 PM, F4u said:

Hi John,

Some good work being done, the cockpit looks great and your service guy certainly will add interest, sculpting of the nose looks nice too.

Your wheels look so much better great work all-round mate. :goodjob:

Guy

Thanks Guy, I hope with the two crew in pressure suits and the suit Tech guy it should add a bit of visual interest and add a sense of scale.

John

• Like 1