RD.57D-C 1/48 CA B.57 kit bash

12 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Don't keep looking at the clock John, eyes down and crack on :smile:, this is going to be one of my 'go to' models at Telford.

Superb work dear fellow.

Gary.

Thanks Gary I've been giving the T.O. 's  (maintenanc handbooks) a good looking at, planning the next phase, so I'm not waisting any time 😊

John

• Like 1

The unmodified CA cockpit tub. I'm going to chop it up a bit, not too much though.

m0TCx5.jpg

The parts for the mod's to the rear cockpit, it's not going to be 100% as much of it will be unobservable even with the canopy open so I'm going for a "fell" of what is in the back. I've done the cutting down of the parts of the CA tub. The tub on the right is the one from the Airfix B.57 kit.

m0TUKM.jpg

John

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Personally I would build that radar-mount John, however you sense better than any of us to what extent that task is going to impact upon your timeline for completing this.

Tony

Me too Tony, but I am mindful of the time involved, what I'm thinking of doing is building the black boxes and superimposing the detail onto them that way I'll get the look of the structure with out the time taken in building the full installation. :)

John 

• Like 1

I've started work on the cockpit and canopy. I started off by fitting out the GIB's station as I said before I'm not going for 100% as you won't see much even with the canopy up. 

mkke1O.jpg

The canopy parts as supplied, not bad but they can stand a bit of extra work.

mkk0yx.jpgThe holes after drilling out, the oblong ones still need a bit of cleaning up. 

mkk9SN.jpg I've added the canopy latches now.

mkkL38.jpg

John 

• Like 6

Thanks to Airfix U.2 and Matchbox Halifax I've now added the ADF Loop on the top of the fuselage and the radome under the fuselage, I've also fitted her tail feathers complete with Stabilizer Flow Regenerators, a unique feature to the B.57's.

mJuzTs.jpg

mJuDgJ.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Great to see this machine coming together.

But are you using a fancy camera that produces big photo files? 

This thread is killing my little phone!

It can't cope with something.

Sorry Rob, it must be photo recon thing :) no, seriously though, they are big, but no bigger than the others I've posted but I'm using NickPic now and not photobucket so I'm guessing it has something to do with that? I will turn the dial down next time(if I can work out how!)

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 1

Really starting to look good John, your knowledge and dedication to the Canberra is really paying off hopefully I can see it at Telford.

Guy

• Like 1

Great progress. A question occurs to me - maybe I overread it but: Which drawings you refer to when rescribing Canberras? Is there a one stop reference book or such? I know the Airfix 1:48 Canberras have the panellines in the wrong places but when I checked my Classic Airfames Canberra and the few drawing I have I doubt any is correct... Sorry if this is hijacking your thread.

René

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Great progress. A question occurs to me - maybe I overread it but: Which drawings you refer to when rescribing Canberras? Is there a one stop reference book or such? I know the Airfix 1:48 Canberras have the panellines in the wrong places but when I checked my Classic Airfames Canberra and the few drawing I have I doubt any is correct... Sorry if this is hijacking your thread.

René

Not at all René a good question, the go to reference for me is the Canberra minor repair AP for the British Canberra's, this gives all the panel details for the B.2 and all the variants.  For the American Canberra's I use the equivalent T.O. but in the case of this RB,57D it has it's own T.O.'s but it only gives details of the wing skins. Classic Airframes did a good job on both the Canberra and B.57 but as with all kit manufactures they have had to compromise with some details. The Airfix kit is all over the place unfortunately, I guess they used a published plan, rather than checking out an actual aircraft or an AP. I have done some more accurate drawings for the B.57 which are on my site, but I don,t have the time or inclination to do the same for the British Canberra's as they are too many and varied. I do call out the differences when I do a WIP.

John      

• Like 2