RD.57D-C 1/48 CA B.57 kit bash

What interesting project!

I also heard that one of them (an WB-57F now used for weather monitoring) will be used for next days eclipse in the States! Are you going to do one of this ladies? It would be fantastic! I have seen that the rotating camera in the nose will used to point the Sun during the eclipse while flying! In this way they will record the longer eclipse ever!

In any case I'll follow your project!

Mario

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.dart said:

What interesting project!

I also heard that one of them (an WB-57F now used for weather monitoring) will be used for next days eclipse in the States! Are you going to do one of this ladies? It would be fantastic! I have seen that the rotating camera in the nose will used to point the Sun during the eclipse while flying! In this way they will record the longer eclipse ever!

In any case I'll follow your project!

Mario

Thanks Mario

I'd love to do a 1/48 RB/WB.57F but that's a bit beyond my skill set, there was a 1/48 resin kit but at £200 it's a bit steep! I have built three of the Mack2 RB/WB.57F's. It's good to see the three NASA WB.57F's still doing good work.

DSCF3309.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

John

• Like 6

17 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi John, sorry I'm late! 

Quick read through to get up to speed.... brilliant🌟🌟🌟

Did I miss - what's the base kit you're working with? Not that you're using much of it in original condition!

No problem Rob good to have you along, you did miss it, I'm using the Classic Airframes B.57B as the base, it was a tough choice between that and the Airfix kit but the CA kit is better suited to what I need, the down side to that is if it goes wrong it's cost be about twice as much, no pressure :)

John  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Norman said:

I;m really liking this one !

Yeah, me too! One if the nicer counterfeit Canberras. 👍👍👍

Graham

• Like 1

On 19/08/2017 at 3:35 PM, canberra kid said:

Thanks Mario

I'd love to do a 1/48 RB/WB.57F but that's a bit beyond my skill set, there was a 1/48 resin kit but at £200 it's a bit steep! I have built three of the Mack2 RB/WB.57F's. It's good to see the three NASA WB.57F's still doing good work.

DSCF3309.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

John

Hello,John - I'm sure you could do this build - and very well! 😉👍All the very best,Paul.

On 20/08/2017 at 6:44 PM, canberra kid said:

The first pass with the milliput, I think it's starting to look like a D now.

m1cgkj.jpg

John

Hello,John - It may be the first pass but its looking first class.😉👍All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

'You've done that bit wrong'

Is never a likely phrase to see ever in a canberra kid Canberra build. :D

Purposeful progress as ever John.

Tony

• Like 1

On 18/08/2017 at 8:55 PM, canberra kid said:

he components for the fan, the centre body is very pointy, so I'll be cutting down the SA.30's.

On 19/08/2017 at 11:33 AM, canberra kid said:

Thanks to the 1/24 Hurricane and its very heavy runners, I now have two wingtip radomes

Nobody can say this hobby does not have green credentials John, all this recycling and hey presto, a big wing B57.

It is a good job you like scribing, there is some area to cover.

Great work so far.

Gary

• Like 1

On 22/08/2017 at 7:58 AM, TheBaron said:

'You've done that bit wrong'

Is never a likely phrase to see ever in a canberra kid Canberra build. :D

Purposeful progress as ever John.

Tony

Thanks Tony, the next big hurdle to overcome is filing sanding down the milliput, hard work ahead! 

John 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Nobody can say this hobby does not have green credentials John, all this recycling and hey presto, a big wing B57.

It is a good job you like scribing, there is some area to cover.

Great work so far.

Gary

Good old willey Yorkshire foulk, neve through nowt away! Next to a Vulcan this must be the biggest bestest flattest wing I think I will ever do, such fun!

John  

• Like 2

Can't believe the transformation. Talk about here's one I made earlier!

I'm trying to visualise a pair of these on my airfix B57. What you're making is just downright huge.

There's a branch of Radio Control modelling called Power Scale Soaring (PSS) where you're building and flying a slope soaring glider that's a scale model of a powered Aeroplane.

This Canberra w would be a great contender - what a soaring wing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Wings coming along nicely

Thanks Neil

18 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Can't believe the transformation. Talk about here's one I made earlier!

I'm trying to visualise a pair of these on my airfix B57. What you're making is just downright huge.

There's a branch of Radio Control modelling called Power Scale Soaring (PSS) where you're building and flying a slope soaring glider that's a scale model of a powered Aeroplane.

This Canberra w would be a great contender - what a soaring wing.

@rob Lyttle Thanks Rob, it's certainly going to look big! I just wish I had the wherewithal to have a go at an RB.57F, now that would be BIG, the D did make a good glider as long as the wing stayed on but the F was even bigger, when they land the F it has to be flown onto the runway because if you just let if flair like a conventional landing it will float on in ground effect for a considerable distance.  As an idea how diferant the wings the following photo should give an idea, are from left to right, WB.57F,RB.57D B.57B.

mz6MZj.jpg

John  

Edited by canberra kid
mising words
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't have to do much to it so the rear fuselage is together now and the spars are temporarily in place. The kit comes with two plastic spars but I've replaced the rear one with a much longer aluminium one to help beef the wing up a bit more, I can't do the same with the front one as the position means it would have to pass through the wheel well.

mKCLrJ.jpg

I'm starting to get an idea of just how much bigger she will be.

mKC9lW.jpg

John    

• Like 6
  • Confused 1