RD.57D-C 1/48 CA B.57 kit bash

On 19/07/2017 at 08:30, TheBaron said:

Bird with a broken wing - nothing more folorn-looking.

You can imagine the comments from the septet of onlookers in the photo:

'I barely touched it and it came away.'

'I don't suppose anyone has any glue with them?'

'Let's leave before anyone notices and takes a photograph.'

Can just see the engine bashers and sparkles looking around the crew room and chuckling as the rects controller shouts "riggers!"

oh, and I'm in, too. Popcorn anyone?

Edited by HomerJ_757
  • Like 1

I've stuck the paper patterns to half of an old plastic bath panel that I saved for just this purpose many moon's ago. The next job is to cut them out, I'm not sure yet just how I'm going to do this, my first thought is to score then brake the parts out as the sheet is quite thick, or cut out with a saw. I'll let you know :) 

IMG_1955_zpstml2t4dx.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 2

Now the wings are cut out I've turned my attention to correcting the panel detail on the plans. I've again used the RB.57D T.O.'s for my reference in the attached drawing the red lines are the new correct lines and the yellow ones from the published plans that are wrong.

Wing%20panel_zpsgmo6lvvn.jpg

John

• Like 4

8 hours ago, canberra kid said:

half of an old plastic bath panel that I saved for just this purpose many moon's ago.

I had a huge smile when I read this! Only you John could see a Canberra from the bathroom renovations !

Looking good (and big) and informative as usual.

Richard

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I had a huge smile when I read this! Only you John could see a Canberra from the bathroom renovations !

Looking good (and big) and informative as usual.

Richard

Thanks Richard, I've always had a gift for thinking outside the box as it were :) I just hope I can bash it into shape.

John

45 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Just when you think life has lost the ability to surprise, a bath-panel B-57 appears! :lol:

Sheer genius!

:clap2:

Thanks Tony. Lets she if I can see it through to the end there is a lot of hacking and cutting to go yet. If I can do as well as your current build I'll be in with a chance.

John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

As discussed, no tap's, but one thing that must have been regarded as very important is the Thermos Flask!

We Yanks do like our coffee hot!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Something I'd not picked up & not obvious from your heading photo John, is that this appears to be a single seater, something new to me for these. I'm wondering how that lone pilot found his way during what must have been a precision mission, some more research required :) .

I'm enjoying watching this come together. I may never feel the need to build one, the same as I never want to be a secret agent but I like James Bond movies I guess. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

We Yanks do like our coffee hot!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

I would imagine if it had been an RAF Canberra the crew would have had a few dry sandwiches wrapped in brown paper and a flask of cold tea :) 

John

• Like 2

18 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Something I'd not picked up & not obvious from your heading photo John, is that this appears to be a single seater, something new to me for these. I'm wondering how that lone pilot found his way during what must have been a precision mission, some more research required :) .

I'm enjoying watching this come together. I may never feel the need to build one, the same as I never want to be a secret agent but I like James Bond movies I guess. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve

There were four distinctive versions of the RB.57D divided into Groups.

Group A, 53-3977 through 53-3982.  RB.57D,    no aerial refueling,  crew one,

Group B, 53-3970 through 53-3976.  RB.57D,    aerial refueling yes, crew one.

Group C, 53-3964 through 53-3969,  RB.57D-2  aerial refueling yes, crew two,

Group D, 53-3963                           RB.57D-1   aerial refueling yes, crew one.

The one I'm building is 53-3968, an RB.57D-2 Group C as you can see from the list this had a two man crew, it must have been a tough gig for the GIB has he had to sit under a skinned over canopy, so his only view of the outside world was over the pilot's shoulder. As for the one man crew D's the pilot had the nose mounted periscope (view finder) through which he could watch the ground below, it must have been one hell of a workload on very long highly stressful flights, the pilots must have been the best, not only flying and trying not to get shot down but gathering the reconnaissance too. The "Hart Throb" RB.57A's flying out of Taiwan over mainland China were the first B.57's to operate with a one man crew, these too had a view finder for the pilot to navigate by. 

John    

• Like 1

Thanks John, one of those interesting little tidbits that make aviation experienced via Britmodeller so rewarding. As you say, an incredibly high work load for one lone jet jockey. Brave men.

Steve.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meteor74 said:

Good luck with this one John. I know you've had an ambition to build this for quite a while now. Good to see it started at last.

Gary :smile:

Thanks Gary, it has been nagging away for some time, I've been waiting for certain components to come together, now they have, she's off and running! I'll be starting the usual more in depth WIP on the SIG site tomorrow. 

John  

• Like 1

Well that's it I can't go back now, I've cut the B.57B wing!

IMG_2032_zpsbovawhew.jpg

After a LOT of rubbing down to thin out the trailing edge the wings are now attached, at the moment it's a strait but-joint, but when the glue has had time to set up I'll beef up the joint and set up some sort of spar. It's already starting to look big!

IMG_2033_zpsfdpl3pmb.jpg

John

• Like 4

On 28/07/2017 at 7:31 AM, Meteor74 said:

Good luck with this one John. I know you've had an ambition to build this for quite a while now. Good to see it started at last.

Gary :smile:

Hello,Gary - I also wish John good luck with this project and know he'll do it justice.

It's also good to see you on BM Radar!

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1