My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

6 minutes ago, Beard said:

might post a photograph of it at some point but this is a thread about Spitfires.

I shouldn't like to be the reason for contaminating this then  ;) so, can we have it in a separate RFI thread, pretty please. :)

Steve

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 7:48 PM, stevehnz said:

I shouldn't like to be the reason for contaminating this then  ;) so, can we have it in a separate RFI thread, pretty please. :)

Steve

On 3/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Simon, they're looking mighty fine.

The Corsair sounds interesting too.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

Apologies for taking so long to reply and thanks for the supportive comments.

I've been doing a lot of music lately and modelling has taken a back seat but this is where I've got to with the 21...

2019-03-29_05-44-06

I haven't applied the codes because I'm not happy with the colour of the ones AZ supply but there's a problem... the aircraft appears to have had 20" codes and I only have 18" or 24" in the transfer stash and no-one appears to sell 20" ones. Answers on a postcard please.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to insert the correct photograph.
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Beard said:

For all those who requested it, here's the Corsair.

2019-03-29_08-40-07

Now let's never speak of it again.

The next Spitfire is going to be a VII.

Thanks for looking.

What Mk of Spitfire is this one?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Your endless Spitfire build has to be one of my favorite places on the web, Simon, and now you add a TSS Corsair, fantastic. I've heard the Revell kit is finicky.

Thanks Cookie. The Revell Corsair is a little finicky, especially the cowling and upper fuselage where there are more parts than strictly necessary. I'd make another though but that's based on its price and the number of Corsair transfers I have in the stash.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the Spitfires Simon and the Corsair looks lovely fella.

Great work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris.

I've been writing and recording an EP over the last few weeks, which means, rather than using modelling tools, I've been using these quite a lot:

20190305_192459

20190209_201904

20190317_184750

Even so, I can't resist a Spitfire so I've made a start on an AZ Spitfire VII.

20190331_182635

20190331_182643

There's no pressure bulkhead because AZ use the same plastic for their VIII. What's harder to explain are the clipped wingtips, nothing that a quick file won't cure.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks since I last.posted an up-date...

The 21 is still waiting for suitable codes (my plan now, as suitable ones cannot be purchased, is to modify some from the Sword XIV), the XI has had a wash which has gone a bit wrong, the EP us stalled because I haven't finished the lyrics (luckily, I've got until either June or October before it has to be released) but the VII has got to this:

2019-04-15_08-06-09

(Oh, and I got as far as putting the transfers on the Corsair before realising that I'd reversed the EDSG and DSG.)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Two weeks since I last.posted an up-date...

The 21 is still waiting for suitable codes (my plan now, as suitable ones cannot be purchased, is to modify some from the Sword XIV), the XI has had a wash which has gone a bit wrong, the EP us stalled because I haven't finished the lyrics (luckily, I've got until either June or October before it has to be released) but the VII has got to this:

2019-04-15_08-06-09

(Oh, and I got as far as putting the transfers on the Corsair before realising that I'd reversed the EDSG and DSG.)

Thanks for looking.

Looking good Simon! Puts my old spitfire thread to shame!! 

Ah I see you went with the B scheme for the Corsair! A fine choice! 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Progress is slow but steady.

The XXI is nearly done:

2019-04-22_05-12-46

and the VII is almost ready for the Invasion Stripes:

2019-04-22_05-13-02

After these two I might do a double build of the AZ FR.18 or take a break from Spitfires and do something completely different... I've been thinking about some of the larger aircraft in the stash.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Built an 18 last year, not a bad build, finished in the short lived desert scheme around in 1949, it is on RFI somewhere. BTW it was decided that Arabic numbers would be used on all marks above 20, thus the 21 was always 21. 

• 4 months later...

I hadn't realised just how long it's been since I've posted on here until Stew sent me a PM the other day, asking how I was.

Well, the 'endless Spitfire build' has ended.

I did finish the Mk21 (although it got knocked off into the floor the other day and suffered Cat A damage) but the VII is languishing in the 'will I ever finish it' pile.

Since I last posted, I've hardly done any modelling and am seriously considering getting rid of.my stash (about 100 1/35 WW2 German AFVs and I don't know how many 1/72 aircraft). I don't know if this coincides with my purchase of an ES-335

I doubt I'll be posting anymore photos on here but might pop in from time to time to have peak at what you lot are doing, ask the odd question, and (perhaps) to sell the stash.

Whatever happens, I know that there's a community here that enjoy their hobby,  provide support and encouragement to

eachother, and that has people who are always willing to share their knowledge. Which is a thing you should all be proud of.

Anyway, I'm not looking for any sympathy, just letting you all know where I am and that I'm fine.

Cherio and be most excellent to eachother,

Beard

PS. All may not be lost. I've recently started work on a Hawker Typhoon (which I'm converting into a FR1B), and bought a Typhoon and a BP Defiant yesterday when I was passing my LHS.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

I thought it was a little quiet with your builds. I suppose many will enter the 'lack of mojo' camp at some stage, some will come out with new vigour while others will give up all together. It looks like your interest isn't totally lost if you're still buying...good news. Hopefully we'll see more of your builds soon enough.

Stuart

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I also have wondered where the mighty @Beard got to, I can understand the tugs of another passion drawing you away from modelling, especially when you've another Gibson to fondle. ;) Keep in touch mate, it'd be nice to hear from you occasionally & see some more of your finished items even if its not too often. 

All the best,

Steve.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I hope all isn’t lost simon, I’ve always enjoyed your work and chat! Life gets in the way though, I understand that, don’t sell the stash if you can help it.

good to see your still building though, the bug never truly leaves! Keep popping in to say hi.

Rob