My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

18 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

So your MK VI is Italeri yes? How does it compare to more modern kits? Also seen the Smer one available, though not sure of the ancestry of it though...

I'm now home from work so have time, whilst cooking tea, to post a longer reply.

What John D said is right, although the canopy on the AZ MkVI hasn't been  changed (AFAIK).

AZ also do a Spitfire MkVI which has the same sprues as their MkIb, MkIIb and MkVb (all of which have the MkVI parts) but has the appropriate transfers, although you'd still need a pressure bulkhead. I'm using a MkVb because I bought a few when Hannants were selling them cheaply.

Here is a link to previous discussion about the Italeri MkVI:

If you're looking to do a conversion I'd recommend using the newer KP Spitfire MkVb as it's a much better kit. Spare wingtips can be found in the AZ MkV, AZ and Eduard MkVIII (although I don't know if they'd fit), the inlet bit is an unused part in the AZ MkVIII (although I'm not sure if it's the same shape) or could be made from stretched sprue or rod, the pressure bulkhead can be scratched from plastic sheet (perhaps using the one from an airfix XIX as a template) but you'd need to source transfers of course.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, charlie_c67 said:

Does the Eduard VIII's have the necessary inlet part or are they used as part of construction? Only ask as I've got the Aussie eight's so expecting to have a few spare parts from there!

I don't think so. Although I have several Eduard MkVIIIs, I haven't closely examined the sprues. The AZ MkVIII was the same plastic as their MkVII.

A quick search on the Hannants website (other supplies of our addiction are available) reveals a number of options, in addition to the Italeri kit:

a Pavla conversion set (although 16 quid seems very steep) https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PAVU72075

the AZ MkVI, which is being discounted (although a tenner seems a bit steep): https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AZM73012

I also found this:  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72046 which includes the 91 squadron aircraft I'm doing. The whole sheet interests me greatly but, luckily, it's available (yet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Spare wingtips can be found in the AZ MkV, AZ and Eduard MkVIII

They're in the Eduard IX & XVI too.

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I also found this:  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72046 which includes the 91 squadron aircraft I'm doing. The whole sheet interests me greatly but, luckily, it's available (yet).

It's been in stock at Hannants - saw it in a Hot News e-mail, but it had sold out when I clicked the link to it! It's on my watch list now!

Keith

• Like 1

Just catching up again Simon, a very pleasant thread indeed. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Med Sea Grey machines complete, what an intriguing scheme.

I spent half of September road tripping with my dad and some of his college buddies to the Reno Air Races. The internet was spotty along the way, and I got way behind on my favorite BM threads (like this one!).

It was well worth it though, we had a great time, and I saw my first Spitfire in flight - both demonstration and pylon racing. I managed to snap this pic of it being refueled.

100_0703

Note the exhaust stains on the otherwise pristine warbird, two races a day will do that I guess.

• Like 6

Thanks Cookie.

I think the Spitfire looks good in the High Altitude scheme, as does the Hornet (but that's an obsession for another day), although the extended wingtips don't really do anything for it's looks.

That's a great photograph (although I prefer my Spitfires under the less sunny skies of their birthplace :D), I'll be referring to it when I next do exhaust staining. I don't suppose you got a photograph of the underside? It'd be interesting to see the amount of oil staining that occurs during a couple of flights.

I can't remember my first Spitfire, I know that's a terrible admission but I did see a replica yesterday when I visited the Battle of Britain memorial and one flies over my house on most days.

• Like 3

A Sunday night up-date.

No photographs but the MkVII and MkIX are ready to be masked before painting the PRU Blue underside.

The MkVI has had it's wings attached and the glue is setting.

The MkVb has had the transfers applied:

2017-10-01_07-41-11

I'll give it another coat of gloss and finish the canopy before a Matt coat and a black poster paint wash.

I'm closing the ballot and will anounce the result in the next update.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

After finishing an instrumental demo of my band's latest song (I now have to write the lyrics), I've done some work on the Spitfires. While the glue sets on the MkVI, I've done something on the MkVII.

Radiators installed:

20171002_211515

I've also painted the inside of the radiator 'housings' and noticed that the propeller backplate is going to need some sanding:

20171002_211528

(I've got a Quickboost propeller on its way, I might use it instead).

Finally, the result of the ballot:

Total votes cast - 11

Option 2 - 1 vote

Option 6 - 1 vote

Option 11 - 0 votes

Option 14 - 3 votes

Option 18 - 0 votes

Option 26 - 6 votes

I hearby declare Option 26, Spitfire VB BM124 flown by Squadron Leader B.E.F. Finucane of 602 squadron RAF, the winner. A KP MkVB has been fetched from the loft by my faithful manservant, the ceremonial opening of the box will take place once the 111 Squadron kit is finished.

In addition, I will make Squadron Leader Zumnach's aircraft as chosen by PC and in celebration of the new arrival in his family.

Thanks for looking and a special thanks to those who took the time to vote.

In the meantime, there'll be a musical interlude:

R.I.P.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Deleted - Swearing

Sorry mate: http://abc7.com/entertainment/tom-petty-dies-at-66-manager-confirms/2480364/

I have little more than a passing acquaintance with his music, but during my summers I worked in the returns department of a shoe store in the late 1990s and very early oughts, and he was in regular rotation. Few other singers have captured that curious combination of hope and fear that is adolescence quite so well, if you ask me (which you didn't).

• Sad 3

Some more progress...

The MkVb has had a gloss coat over the decals:

2017-10-03_08-00-28

The MKVII and MkIX have been masked in preparation for PRU Blue being splashed on:

2017-10-03_08-01-06

Note the guest appearance from my entry in the Floatplanes & Flying Boats Group Build.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

A Saturday morning update.

The MkVII and MkIX have had a couple of coats of Humbrol PRU Blue on their undersides:

2017-10-07_09-48-53

(which has revealed some filling is needed)

and the MkVb has had a matt coat:

2017-10-07_09-49-58

A few touch-ups needed, including blending that canopy, but nearly there.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

A Sunday night up-date.

The MkVb is almost done, just need to paint and install the exhausts.

2017-10-08_08-01-25

Of course, I managed to snap the aerial mast off whilst removing the poster paint wash.

Meanwhile, the MkVI and MkIX have had, a gloss coat ready for decals, and the MkVI is nearly assembled.

• Like 6

On 10/07/2017 at 10:06 PM, CedB said:

Nice Simon, I love the Stealth Fighter, :) 

On 10/08/2017 at 8:33 PM, keefr22 said:

That's nice, I like that!

Keith

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Ooooh, the Spitfire does look sharp in black.

Thanks chaps.

A Monday night up-date.

Started putting the transfers on the MkVII:

2017-10-09_08-50-06

and MkIX:

2017-10-09_08-50-20

Once they're done, I'll have to work out how to get the MkVIs extended wingtips to fit the wings and sort-out my entry in the Flying Boats and Floatplanes Group Build (a Spitfire, oddly enough) which has gone a 'bit wrong'.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Is MD114 post war, not having the yellow outer ring on the fuselage roundel?

It wasn't post-war. These photographs support the lack of a yellow ring (or do they). (It's also unusual in having C-type roundels, the high altitude scheme should have B-type.)

Spitfire_VII_MD114_Skeabrae-370.jpg

img_0122.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

These builds have experienced a hiatus due to unforseen circumstances. However, there has been a little progress over the last few days, here's where I've got to on each build.

The Spitfire VII needs the cockpit painting, various touch-ups and wheels:

2017-10-29_06-36-23

The 94 squadron IX needs it's canopy painting, a few touch-ups and the underwing roundels:

2017-10-29_06-36-05

(I know it had a black (NATO Black) aerial mast... it's because I knicked it off the 111 Squadron MkV (which now needs a replacement aerial mast and it's exhausts installing).)

The 91 squadron MkVI is ready for paint:

2017-10-29_06-36-38

I remembered that the MkVI had a pressure cabin (I forgot to do it on the MkVII) and made the bulkhead from Spitfire extended wingtips I had in the spares box:

20171028_144231

I've also started an AZ MkIX which will be finished as Prince Emanuel Galitzine's plane from the High Altitude Flight:

2017-10-29_06-36-51

The sharp-eyed amongst you will notice the lack of armour...

20171020_151651

That's all for now, thanks for looking.

• Like 8