My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

26 minutes ago, Courageous said:

After seeing the article in SAM, it's a defo for me as I've never seen that scheme on a club table before.

If you're interested in Malta, get Tony O'Toole's book 'Malta -  No Place For Begineers'. It's a good read and has some excellent profiles.

• Like 5

On 18/09/2017 at 8:26 AM, Beard said:

If you're interested in Malta, get Tony O'Toole's book 'Malta -  No Place For Begineers'. It's a good read and has some excellent profiles.

Now look what you've done Mr Beard! I snapped up a copy off evilbay for a good price yesterday evening.

• Like 2

Right, here's where I've got to pre-day off.

The MkVb has it's canopy installed and I think the spinner and propeller is better than the one in the kit. I'll paint the canopy and give it a gloss coat in the next couple of days.

2017-09-19_08-00-02

The MkVII needs it's wingtips then it and the MkIX can be painted.

20170919_195818

All three...

20170919_195826

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is my day-off and my wife is going out, so I'm planning on doing some music but I'll probably start painting the MkVII and MkIX (I might also make a start on an Airfix MkI (in Turkish marking) or an AZ MkVI  (in 91 squadron markings)).

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

On 24/08/2017 at 6:27 PM, Beard said:

20170824_174851

No, I've only got one in the stash and I want to do it right.

If you haven't yet got to this one, watch out for the awful resin canopy. Mine was completely mis-shapen but with copious amounts of v. hot water & the resultant singed fingertips, I managed to get it somewhat 'right'. But even then it was a millimetre or so too narrow, & was the very devil to stick on (with superglue!) & get to remain stuck - must have taken at least 6 attempts & I'm still wary it's going to ping off again whenever I move the kit! I had an Aeroclub PR canopy which I thought would be an ideal replacement, but that was almost 2 mill. too wide & nearly as much too high! Really surprised me for an Aeroclub item!

Apologies for the tardy reply to a post you made in August, but I was only pointed to your thread due to a notification of one of Ced's replies! Some cracking Spitfire work going on here!

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

If you haven't yet got to this one, watch out for the awful resin canopy. Mine was completely mis-shapen but with copious amounts of v. hot water & the resultant singed fingertips, I managed to get it somewhat 'right'. But even then it was a millimetre or so too narrow, & was the very devil to stick on (with superglue!) & get to remain stuck - must have taken at least 6 attempts & I'm still wary it's going to ping off again whenever I move the kit! I had an Aeroclub PR canopy which I thought would be an ideal replacement, but that was almost 2 mill. too wide & nearly as much too high! Really surprised me for an Aeroclub item!

Thanks for the warning, Keith, although I'm unlikely to be starting this one anytime soon, I've looked in the box and didn't like the look of the resin canopy so I bought a vacform replacement (I can't remember who made it but I know it ain't Aeroclub and is, alledgedly, designed for the kit).

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apologies for the tardy reply to a post you made in August, but I was only pointed to your thread due to a notification of one of Ced's replies! Some cracking Spitfire work going on here!

No need to apologise and thank you.

• Like 1

The black one looks very nice Simon :thumbsup: 

The Mk. VII is an interesting version, I’m looking forward to seeing that, and the Mk. IX.

Regarding the wing tips; I think somehow seeing you deal with them is helping me with my “AZ Mk. VIII in the drawer of doom” problem :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Hope the music session went well.

On 18/09/2017 at 8:26 AM, Beard said:

@Beard, do you know if this author done the sequel to this book as the introduction states a follow-up volume for the later stuff, including the Spitfire?

Stuart

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The black one looks very nice Simon :thumbsup: 

The Mk. VII is an interesting version, I’m looking forward to seeing that, and the Mk. IX.

Regarding the wing tips; I think somehow seeing you deal with them is helping me with my “AZ Mk. VIII in the drawer of doom” problem :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

PS: Hope the music session went well.

Thanks Tony.

The wingtips are particularly annoying because:

1) I don't think clipped-wing VIIs and VIIIs were common. I wish AZ had planned the wing tips better or, at least, provide full-span ones.

2) the replacement wingtips don't fit particularly well.

The music session went well, thanks.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

@Beard, do you know if this author done the sequel to this book as the introduction states a follow-up volume for the later stuff, including the Spitfire?

Stuart

I don't know if it hasn't been written or Tony can't get a publisher.

• Like 3

Some progress...

The MkIX has had a first coat of Humbrol Medium Sea Grey:

2017-09-23_04-50-24

The MkVII has had its wingtips attached:

2017-09-23_04-50-42

While the paint and filler are drying, I'll be busy...

2017-09-23_04-51-31

(The bowls contained walnuts and salt, in case you're curious.)

The MkVb has had its canopy painted. Once that's dry (and tidied-up), I'll give it a gloss coat and start on the decals.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, johnd said:

That Co-op Czech beer is surprisingly good and well worth the modest outlay.

John.

£1.49 a bottle... you can't go wrong, Mind you, I've had a couple of G&Ts and several glasses of wine since that photograph was taken.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

..not sure how one goes about doing that ..but it has to be Finucane's machine for me. Just reading De La Popye's memoir (Finucane's wingman) - he describes his terrible sadness as he watched Finucane ditch off Le Touquet after a Rhubarb on 15 July 1942 (IIRC) never to be seen again ..and only 21

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..not sure how one goes about doing that [...]

Good point. There's a post, some pages ago, with the the candidates, I expected (but didn't explain) people to comment with their vote.  Your vote has been registered.

Heres a a reminder of the candidates for the next build:

DKD72036_1.jpg?t=

One vote per person. The winner will be built next (by which time I'll be ready to build something else).

• Like 1

Gotta be RF-D. Iconic Spitfire. I have a whole book (in Polish, which I sadly cannot read or speak*) about that specific airframe. It's a small book, but still a book.

* Probably for the best, as I would have dashed myself against the majestic rocks of Polish womanhood and never met Mrs P.

50 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Gotta be RF-D. Iconic Spitfire. I have a whole book (in Polish, which I sadly cannot read or speak*) about that specific airframe. It's a small book, but still a book.

* Probably for the best, as I would have dashed myself against the majestic rocks of Polish womanhood and never met Mrs P.

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I like that one too, but #20 doesn't appear in the options list....

So for me, my choice is number 2.

Keith

PC, as Keith has pointed out, your choice isn't on the list of candidates but, as democracy appears to be dying out, l'll make an exception and do it.

• Like 1