My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

I wonder what's in this box?

20170911_180142

20170911_180204

20170911_180728

More Spitfires, courtesy of @MikemxI'd left the box at the Post Office until I could be sure I could sneak it into the house without my wife noticing. She arrived 5 minutes after I'd got it in the loft so it was a close run thing.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 13
  • Haha 9

11 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Beard.

EXCELLENT build. 

She looks just fine. 

:Tasty::clap::mike:

I ran out of MY like quotas.(HAVEN'T been here in ages and then Wham! Will return to LIKE).

Thank you, I'm not sure about 'excellent', I've just noticed the seam on the nose of the MkVa.

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was a very military type operation ... that went off succesfully. The sneaking in off the new additions

But it nearly, only nearly mind, ended in disaster.

• Like 1

The spinner and propeller on the MkVb have been bugging me.

20170911_202255

I'm not sure what that's meant to be but it certainly looks odd.

Luckily, there are some photographs of JU-H in 'Spitfire at war 3'.

20170911_202417

20170911_201733

I think that's a De Havilland propeller and I believe JU-H's serial number was W3848 which, if I'm correct, means it was built by Supermarine so, and there's another leap of faith here, means it should have a DH prop.

Digging through my spares box, I found something that looks more suitable.

20170911_202350

Any opinions are more then welcome.

• Like 9

Just catching up Simon :)

Bader's aircraft looks splendid - good job!

I had a look at Airhistory.org.uk and W3848 is indeed listed as a Supermarine build. Here's the entry:

W3848 Vb 2070 EA M45M FF 11-9-41 8MU 11-9-41 111S 22-9-41 FAAC 29-5-42 41S 22-8-42 122S 14-3-43 222S 'ZD-P' 19-5-43 67GrpUSAAF 2-11-43 HAL 16-6-44 1661CU 29-11-44 SOC 27-12-45

Strangely she's not listed as JU-H and the only reference I can find for that ident in their listings is for PT416, a LFIX. I'm beginning to doubt this reference source now...

• Like 2

Thanks for taking the time to look-up the history.

I wouldn't worry too much that the 111 squadron aircraft letter isn't recorded, I think a fair few records don't hold it and, I'm not entirely sure that the serial number is correct (it's overpainted on the aircraft).

• Like 2

While sorting-out the spinner and propeller for the Vb, I've assembled an AZ Spitfire IX.

2017-09-14_07-48-19

(The wingtips have gone okay on this one.)

I've been assured that a high altitude scheme is okay for a 94 Squadron aircraft.

But what to do with the PRU Blue and Medium Sea Grey while I've got them out?

The answer is obvious:

20170914_194722

2017-09-14_08-01-32

I've got a plan for a D-day build next year which includes a couple of MkVIIs so I'll be doing a 312 squadron plane.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote on which MkVb I do next.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling (stupid autocorrect).
  • Like 6

Some work has been done on the MkVII.

The kit was pre-owned so some glueing and painting has already been done:

20170915_204013

For some inexplicable reason, AZ did clipped wings on their MkVII/ MkVIII mold.

20170915_205210

It's an unnecessary bit of cutting that can go wrong.

(But didn't)

20170915_205218

The intrepid modeller also has to fill the cockpit door (I used PPP).

20170915_205236

(It has since been smoothed-out.)

The cowling has a lump on it, I think it might cover the Coffman starter, which I didn't think MkVIIs had. Some brief research shows that I am wrong.

20170915_205247

I'm going to mask and start to paint the camouflage on my Spitfire MkV floatplane today, unless my wife has chores for me, so this build will continue after a short intermission.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 7

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

[...] good work on the wing chops :)

I used a scalpel, running it along the panel line and putting a little pressure on the blade. I use this method because I haven't got any razor saws and I'm too tight to buy any.

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

If this gets much busier I'm going to have to ask for labels!

It has to get busier, my last delivery took the Spitfire stash to 82, so I'm planning to start a MkVI and the winner of the MkVb vote next week and, while doing the stocktake (trans. digging through the stash) I found an AZ MkV Joypack and some decals for Turkish Spitfires (a MkI, MkV and MkXIX) which attracted my interest.

• Like 5

You can never have too many Spitfires. Who said that? I think we know now! 82 plus those already built, a devotee indeed...

Everyone here understands though... and are probably, like me, a little envious!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Beard said:

It has to get busier, my last delivery took the Spitfire stash to 82

How many :o

Where on earth do you put all those once they are built? 

Enjoying keeping up with your progress Beard. The variety in marks you build is really interesting. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CedB said:

You can never have too many Spitfires. Who said that? I think we know now! 82 plus those already built, a devotee indeed...

Everyone here understands though... and are probably, like me, a little envious!

2 hours ago, Antb said:

How many :o

Where on earth do you put all those once they are built? 

Enjoying keeping up with your progress Beard. The variety in marks you build is really interesting. 

To date, I've assembled around 30 Spitfires and have just enough storage space for between 20 to 30 more. Mind you, there's a fair number of Hurricanes and P-40s on display (plus assorted other aircraft) and over a hundred non-Spitfire kits to build, some of which a 2 or 4 engined aircraft so I will need more shelves.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Beard said:

To date, I've assembled around 30 Spitfires and have just enough storage space for between 20 to 30 more. Mind you, there's a fair number of Hurricanes and P-40s on display (plus assorted other aircraft) and over a hundred non-Spitfire kits to build, some of which a 2 or 4 engined aircraft so I will need more shelves.

Man they must look awesome! 

Good luck with the rest of the builds. I shall follow along if that's OK with you? 

19 hours ago, Antb said:

Man they must look awesome! 

Not the word I'd use to describe my builds but thank you anyway.😁

19 hours ago, Antb said:

Good luck with the rest of the builds. I shall follow along if that's OK with you? 

Thank you (again) and welcome aboard. Don't forget to vote on which MkV I do next.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

I've spent most of the day fiddling around doing a demo of a song for my next EP/ LP but did do some of the Spitfire VII.

The airframe is now complete, apart from those pesky wingtips.

2017-09-17_08-01-36

If other news, I dropped my phobe and cracked the screen, I suspect I'll be about  £100 worse-off by next week.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..not sure whether that makes it a good day or a bad day?

Bad day... it's the second time I've broken the screen in as many months.

5 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

On the other hand there was loads of real Spitfire action overhead just to the east of you all day long! 

I was so busy playing guitar and making plastic Spitfires that I missed it! Was it the MkIX that flies back-and-forth?

• Sad 1

Good news on the music and Spitfire, bad news on the screen (I hate it when that happens). 

Mrs B cracked her iPad screen recently and we found a local chap who did a good job cheaper than most - do you have similar near you?

7 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

both the Aero Legends and the Biggin Hill machines overhead today .. on several occasions

Damn. Much as I like to be indoors, two Spitfires is two too many to miss.

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good news on the music and Spitfire, bad news on the screen (I hate it when that happens). 

Mrs B cracked her iPad screen recently and we found a local chap who did a good job cheaper than most - do you have similar near you?

I do have a friend who can repair things. I'm going to text him, if the screen doesn't fall apart.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I personally would've like to have seen a Malta based Mk.V but seeing that it's not a candidate, I'll have to plumb for 26.

Carry on Mr B.

I have an Xtradecals Malta sheet so, you never know, there may be one later.

• Like 1