My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

Proof that I haven't forgotten about these Spitfires...

2017-11-06_07-25-02

The AZ MkVI has had a first coat of Medium Sea Grey in the underside and I'm still trying to work out what colour Galitzine's MkIX would be.

In the meantime, I need to finish my entry in the Flying Boats and Floatplanes Group Build and make a start on my entry in the Matchbox GB.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Impressive multi-tasking - have you got the space for all this?

Thanks. I am rapidly running out of space to display the finished kits (and have 80 or so Spitfires still to build).

45 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Very nice 'quatro combo' as the mighty Eduard would put it...!! :D

Keith

Thanks Keith.

41 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I was gonna compliment your 'quatro combo' too, but Keith beat me to it! They do look excellent Simon.

Thanks Cookie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I am rapidly running out of space to display the finished kits

Ceiling. :)

Nice foursome Simon, looking very smart indeed.

• Like 2

I've finished my entry in the Flying Boats and Floatplanes Group Build so I can crack-on with Spitfires albeit with a slight diversion in bf-109s in the Matchbox Group Build.

The MkVI has had a couple of coats of Humbrol Ocean Grey...

2017-11-12_09-00-11

I now have a week's leave so will be starting the last two MkVbs tomorrow  (Monday).

Thanks for stopping by and looking in.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the weeks' leave came and went and I didn't make a start on the two MkVbs I promised. This is because both my time and inclination to do any modelling have dwindled to nothing.

However, I have been doing a Bf-109 in the Matchbox Group Build and it's got the modelling block sorted so, although the MkVbs will be delayed, I'll be recommencing work on the MkVI and MkIX in the next week.

• Like 5

Here's where I am with the MkVI and MkIX (also a guest appearance from some long-stalled kits... a Freightdog MkXI conversion, an Airfix Typhoon and an Eduard Hellcat).

2017-12-04_09-03-25

The next steps are to apply the Dark Green to the MkVI and get some suitable light blue for the MkIX.

• Like 8

Well, the MkVI has had some Colourcoats RAF Dark Green splashed on it but I won't be posting any photographs because I've broken my phone (for the second time in three months) and I can't be bothered to charge my camera and faff about with transferring photos from it to my PC.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Luckily there is enough in that first photo to feed our aeroplane obsessed imaginations for a week. 

The Mk VI and XI are two of the marks still missing from my collection. Is the AZ kit the only one to do a VI in 1/72? I have the Freightdog XI conversion set and was thinking about using the Eduard VIII as the base kit. I have plenty of spare Airfix XIX wings, but they don't fit up well with the Eduard fuselage, so I was thinking of just doing a lot of filling to the panel lines on the Eduard wing. Do you think that would work Simon?

Is that an 'early' early cowl with the bumps on the Mk IX?!?

I'm planning on building that exact Hellcat for the "Iceberg and After" project. How is the Eduard kit? I've heard good things.

The Typhoon looks menacing alright.

Also, while I'm asking a million questions, what's the status on your Xtradecal D-Day sheet project?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Luckily there is enough in that first photo to feed our aeroplane obsessed imaginations for a week. 

The Mk VI and XI are two of the marks still missing from my collection. Is the AZ kit the only one to do a VI in 1/72? I have the Freightdog XI conversion set and was thinking about using the Eduard VIII as the base kit. I have plenty of spare Airfix XIX wings, but they don't fit up well with the Eduard fuselage, so I was thinking of just doing a lot of filling to the panel lines on the Eduard wing. Do you think that would work Simon?

Is that an 'early' early cowl with the bumps on the Mk IX?!?

I'm planning on building that exact Hellcat for the "Iceberg and After" project. How is the Eduard kit? I've heard good things.

The Typhoon looks menacing alright.

Also, while I'm asking a million questions, what's the status on your Xtradecal D-Day sheet project?

The only MkVIs in 1/72, that I know of, are by AZ, Italeri and Smer. I don't have the latter two but the Italeri is based on their MkV and the Smer is based on the Heller MkV, from that I think you can draw your own conclusions. I'm tempted to get the Smer MkVI, for the added bits and the decals. The AZ MkV is a nice kit but the wingtips aren't a great fit, the modeller needs to thin the wings and use some filler to get them to look anywhere near right. I'm tempted to use the AZ bits (or the Smer parts, if I can get one) on a KP MkV.

I have no idea if the Freightdog MkXI would work with an Eduard MkVIII but if anyone can do it, you're the bloke to do it.

Well spotted, they are resin bits that come with the AZ MkIX 'early converted'.

The Eduard Hellcat is a splendid kit. I had no problems gluing it together.

The Typhoon looks a lot less menacing since my wife put a shopping bag on it on Friday night.

I gatherered all the necessary kits to have an Xtradecals D-Day sheet extravaganza but it's on the back burner until I can master doing Invasion stripes. The next deadline it'll miss is June 2018.

Edited by Beard
to correct the spelling of 'since' and 'deadline'.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Simon this is an awesome project. And a dangerous one for viewers like me: it leaves me thinking: "Cor, that's nice - I need one of them. And one of them, and one of those. And I've always liked the VII, why havent I got one...?"

Good luck, and I'll be following along.

Justin

Edited by Bedders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Simon this is an awesome project. And a dangerous one for viewers like me: it leaves me thinking: "Cor, that's nice - I need one of them. And one of them, and one of those. And I've always liked the VII, why havent I got one...?"

Good luck, and I'll be following along.

Justin

Thanks Justin, it's quite a dangerous project for me too as I intend to build at least one of every mark. There'll be a brief hiatus whilst I wait for a new mobile phone and complete a Beaufighter Mk1 but next up are two MkVbs, followed (probably) by a Seafire (your one has inspired me to do one). Plus, some of next years' Group Builds present the opportunity to do a Spitfire (or two).

• Like 3

Still no replacement phone, which is on its way (I'm £230 poorer), so no photographs in this up-date but the Spitfire VI is ready to have a gloss coat and I'm about to start painting the MkIX with Colourcoats Sky Blue.

I'd asked about what colour here:

I plumped for Sky Blue as my wife liked it best...

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I plumped for Sky Blue as my wife liked it best...

That's as good a reason as any! Just don't put it on the dining table after you've painted it...!! :whistle:

Just read through the colour thread you started, and, although it's worth nothing, I've always thought when watching the boat race that the Cambridge boat's oars were much more like a Eau de Nil 'type' colour than a light blue! 

There's a couple of 'pretty' schemes on the recent DK decals 'High Altitude Fighter' sheet, for Mk V BR234 and Galitzine's MkIX BF (DK's interpretation) 273, which they would have one paint in Humbrol 47 'Sea Blue Gloss'. I have a tin of that & I don't know what 'standard' colour DK interpret it as being. It's much more blue & lighter & less grey than my WEM tins of Lt. Med. & PRU Blue, but much darker than the same firm's old tin of Sky Blue, and also darker than their Azure! The MkV allegedly had those nice pale blue & red roundels and I think would look lovely painted overall in H47 with them! Accurate? Who knows?! I'd really like to build that one, but don't have a V in stock & I'm not allowing myself to buy any more kits...

Keith

• Like 3

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's as good a reason as any! Just don't put it on the dining table after you've painted it...!! :whistle:

What kind of idiot would put a nearly-finished kit on the dinning table?

Regarding the colour of Galitzine's MkIX, it's always going to be a guess as no-one took a there are no published photographs of it.

of it after it was modified. Nick Hillman's posts about the experimental high altitude schemes and the SAAF colours are particularly interesting.

Edited by Beard
to correct text.
  • Haha 3