My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

4 hours ago, Beard said:

Having had a think about it, I think the AZ XIV (low-back) and XVIII (18) kits contain the same plastic and are okay for an 18.

It's true, they both have the same plastic, and the molded in rudder is for an 18 - you have to remove it and attach one provided for a XIV. I think I removed it anyway on my AZ 18 and used a modified Special Hobby rudder.

6 hours ago, Beard said:

They are, later this year. I'm working overtime to ensure I can afford a few (and when I say a few, I mean around 20).

Yes! Thanks for the confirmation.

Nice progress on the Vb's and 24 Simon!

• Thanks 1

On 31/01/2018 at 21:21, Cookenbacher said:

Too many cool things to count, Simon. The early early high altitude IX turned out fantastic, the V's are looking great, and the XVIII is a fascinating project.

I was planning on using the Freightdog tail on an Airfix Mk 22 fuselage with Eduard Mk VIII wings. I was worried about the tail fitting the Airfix kit, but from the looks of things, it doesn't seem it could be much more difficult than with the Sword!

On 31/01/2018 at 21:33, Beard said:

Any problems I've encountered with the Freightdog tail fitting the Sword XIV are, almost certainly, due to my own ineptitude. I think the Airfix 22 is a far superior kit to the Sword XIV and, using the Eduard VIII wings and Freightdog tail would result in a better end result.

I called in at my mate Miggers house yesterday and oddly enough,he too is doing a XVIII from bits of other kits.

I know it's based on the Airfix Spitfire 22,he says the kit is very accurate.

Anyway,he's used the main body with a wing he's converted to the correct type.

What he'd had to do with the tail though(he'd bought a resin one like yours from Freightdog)was just use the rudder part.

He said he'd cut the tail off the airfix body but the same part of the resin one was too wide,wider than the body.

He'd had to re-attach the airfix tail to the airfix body and refill the joint.

He says his will be the silver one with a red nose thats based in Yorkshire when he paints it.

• Like 2

@Kenny Stevens, that sounds like far too much trouble; I like to take the easy (or easier) option.

Anyway, I've given the MkVBs a rub-down with Micromesh and will give them a gloss coat later.

Discovered a problem with the Mk24 though:

20180218_144659

hopefully, some glue and filler will fix it:

20180218_145659

Later today I'm going to start an Airfix XIX and make an order from Sovereign Hobbies (hopefully they'll still have Light Slate Grey in stock).

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Yikes! That's a nasty bite out of the wing Simon. Is it a moulding fault or do you have mice? :D

Looks like you'll have it sorted soon.

I hope it's a moulding fault because this bloke is supposed to deal with any mice:

2018-02-19_05-30-52

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Or a 1/72 Luftwaffe Flak Unit hiding around your attic? :D

Cheers,

Stew

Funny you should say that...

2018-02-19_05-27-51

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's Wednesday, my day off, so I'll get some modelling done.

The 18 is on hold until my Sovereign Hobbies order arrives. Meanwhile, I think I've repaired the 24's wing:

2018-02-21_12-30-23

and the VBs have had a gloss coat so I can start putting the transfers on:

20180221_122737

20180221_122731

I've also started a XIX, photographs to follow.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice repair work Simon. Best get the Vb's finished up so they can strafe that Flak gun, and prevent damage to rest of your burgeoning Spitfire force.

Thanks Cookie. This is for dealing with the flak:

20171231_160102

but the MkVBs are getting there:

2018-02-21_04-56-00

and, as I mentioned earlier, I've started a XIX.

Cockpit painted with Colourcoats Interior Green with Humbrol 33 details, dry-brushed with a grey enamel and given a black wash:

20180221_165415

I used stretched sprue to add a little detail to the wheelwells:

20180221_165431

Various other bits painted:

20180221_165518

I'm going to use a spare Airfix 22 propeller and hub, they've also been painted.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

I've long wanted to build Jan Zumbach's RF-D and have the Techmod set, but I need to get another as most of the Kosciuszko badges ended up on other 303 Sqn Spitfires!

It's a bit late now but you could've had the ones I used, I'm only doing RF-D because a certain countryman of yours didn't understand the voting system and I didn't have the heart to let him down.

• Like 2

Thanks to the efficiency of the splendid people at Sovereign Hobbies (and Parcelforce delivering on time and my neighbours being home to take in the parcel), made my order on 19th February & it was delivered today, I can get on with painting the 18 (and do the Academy/ Freightdog Tempest 6 I have planned).

2018-02-22_05-28-23

(The Infinity Super Fine is so I can no longer avoid the biplanes in the stash.)

This, added to a trip to the dentist (where I was told I didn't need any more teeth removed) and a sneaky pint (Hellfire Corner, since you asked) made for a pretty good day. The Light Slate Grey will be ceremonially opened later this evening.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've never tried Hellfire Corner. Never even heard of it actually. Is it a local (to you) brew?

I'd never heard of it until today and it is local, brewed by the Breakwater Brewery in Dover.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Looking forward to seeing the paintngo on the XVIII [...]

I cracked the Light Slate Grey open just now and applied the first coat.

Also, completed the XIX's cockpit:

20180222_211054

Tamiya tape seatbelts and an Airfix MkI control column from the spares box (I know it's not accurate but the XIX's had gone missing).

20180222_211150

Instrument panel decal from an Airfix MkI (also not accurate but the XIX only gives you a flat piece of plastic).

Hopefully, I'll get all the decals on the MkVBs tomorrow evening and make a start painting the 24.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Nice cockpit Simon B) ...Um, could have phrased that better I guess, it came out a bit 'Carry On'...

I can't imagine that anyone will ever get close enough to notice and point out that the Spitfire has the wrong joystick and instrument panel, but if they did then whatever injury you did them would surely be considered justifiable by any court in the land :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Really neat packing on your paints Jamie! Hopefully the last of my old WEM stocks will be exhausted by Telford, so I hope you'll have your stand there again?

Simon, I think the only person who could justifiably complain about the wrong IP & stick would be an inch tall XIX driver....!! 

Keith

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Nice cockpit Simon B) ...Um, could have phrased that better I guess, it came out a bit 'Carry On'...

I can't imagine that anyone will ever get close enough to notice and point out that the Spitfire has the wrong joystick and instrument panel, but if they did then whatever injury you did them would surely be considered justifiable by any court in the land :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

Me (defending myself in a murder trial): Your honour, I admit that I bludgened the deceased to death but, after looking at my model Spitfire, he said:

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

"I think you'll find..."

Judge: Case dismissed.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling (due to beer and fat thumbs).
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5