My endless Spitfire build - ready for 2019

It's been a while since I've done a WIP, as I've been busy with non-Spitfire builds, but, having recently purchased DK Decals Spitfire V aces sheet and some KP kits from MJW Models, it's time to do one.

This is the decal sheet:

DKD72036_1.jpg?t=

I'll be doing the Bader Va, using an Airfix kit, and five (or six) Vbs before progressing to MkIXs, MkVIIIs, MkXVIs, Mk22s and a Mk24 (there may even be a MkVI, MkXI, MkXII and Mk21).

My problem is that I can't decide which ones to do so I've decided to ask  you good people to suggest some (what could go wrong with a referendum?). Please let me know which ones you like and I'll do the most popular.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

Any of them for me, although I'm intrigued by the 'crooked' Sky band on #19 :popcorn: 

I would like to see this one built too.

It's the last aircraft flown by Sqd./Ldr Jerzy Janikiewicz of the PAF. Sadly he was lost in this one.

Details and a nice in flight photograph, here:

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/jankiewicz-jerzy.html

I'm interested in the possible repairs to the wings and cowl too?

I also like the all black Spitfire.

Thanks for the referendum  Simon, it's a great idea :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Beard ... my 2 cents if i may i like the markings on #'s 4, 6,10,14,16,18, 28 & 29. Im guessing 1/72nd scale ? I personally might have to Duplicate a few of these markings in 1/48 but as im switching to 72nd maybe not.

Dennis

They are 1/72nd scale and welcome to the Gentleman's scale.

8 hours ago, neil5208 said:

11, 14, 18, 28 and 30 for the V's

I was was going to write that they're all MkVs but you're clearly anticipating a vote on later marks.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Any of them for me, although I'm intrigued by the 'crooked' Sky band on #19 :popcorn: 

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I would like to see this one built too.

It's the last aircraft flown by Sqd./Ldr Jerzy Janikiewicz of the PAF. Sadly he was lost in this one.

Details and a nice in flight photograph, here:

http://www.aircrewremembered.com/jankiewicz-jerzy.html

I'm interested in the possible repairs to the wings and cowl too?

I also like the all black Spitfire.

Thanks for the referendum  Simon, it's a great idea :).

Best regards

TonyT

The 'crooked' sky band in the profile puzzled me but it looks like it was repainted at some time before it was shot down.

Here's a photograph of AD233 with a 'crooked' Sky band: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e2/75/31/e27531aabd10e7461ab4c7f7ff714ab9.jpg

2 hours ago, Intruder503 said:

#28 has my vote. 

There's a clear leader at the moment but the poll will remain open until I've finished the Va.

• Like 5

The victim has been selected.

2017-07-18_09-02-38

The sprue is from the early/ MkII boxing, which also provides (although Airfix didn't tell) the parts for a Va.

I'm just putting the finishing touches to an AZ Hurricane MkIIc, a Revell Hurricane MkIIb, Sword Spitfire XVI and am part-way through a pre-war Spitfire I and Typhoon Ib but will be starting this one by the weekend.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

As threatened a bit of modelling has been done today, between eating some Vietnamese dumplings and Momo (Nepalese dumplings). The later were washed down with some Stella so further work is now out of the question.

Anyway, the bits that needed to be painted yellow have been painted yellow, the bits that needed to be painted grey-green have been painted grey-green (although my pot of Sovereign Hobbies Interior Green is way past it's best (and I can't go in the loft to find another pot because my wife is sleeping off Momo)) and, the bits that need painting black before a coat of aluminium have been painted black.

2017-07-22_03-15-05

Until the next up-date, here's something for you to listen to (thanks to Troy Smith for the CD):

Thanks for looking (and don't forget to vote).

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Learstang said:

I vote for the all-black Spitfire. Very striking. Best of luck with whatever scheme you go with!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. I'm bound to do the five with the most votes.

14 hours ago, amblypygid said:

My vote goes for Paddy Finucane's LO-W; champagne and shamrock.

Thank you. I like that one to.

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Beard,

A 22 for me, I'm found of the 609th.

Can't wait to see it !

I'll make the P. Richey's Spit.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thank you. 

• Like 3

Completed the painting of the interior. If you're interested (but I'm going to tell you anyway), it's Sovereign Hobbies Interior Green for the grey-green bits, Humbrol 11 (over a basecoat of Humbrol 33) for the silver bits (my preferred aluminium paint, Humbrol Metalcote 27002, is out-of-stock everywhere (according to the bloke in my LMS, who'd spoken to a rep, it's because the labelling needs changing). I also like Tamiya's acrylic aluminium but couldn't be bothered to find the jar i have)). It then had a wash of children's black poster paint and a dry-brush with Humbrol 165.

2017-07-23_04-23-26

The fuselage halves have since been glued together and have had some filler to eliminate the inevitable Spitfire seams.

I also painted the wheelwells, using Sovereign Hobbies Sky Type S.

2017-07-23_04-35-01

They'll get a wash and a dry-brush when properly dry.

That's all today. Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote, if you haven't already.

Edited by Beard
to correct punctuation.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This looks like a nice little kit Simon :).

The information on the interior paints is useful for people learning how to (try to) make model Spitfires (like me!). Thanks for providing it :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

On 07/19/2017 at 8:23 AM, johnd said:

6, 7, 11, 12, 26 and 28 please!

John.

I forgot got to say 'thank you' John, apologies for that.

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Simon, those internals are looking good :) 

Thanks Ced, they won't be seen again so are fit for purpose.

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

This looks like a nice little kit Simon :).

The information on the interior paints is useful for people learning how to (try to) make model Spitfires (like me!). Thanks for providing it :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony. In my opinion, the Airfix Spitfire I is the best MkI in 1/72 (although there's not a lot of competition), the panel lines are a little deep and some of the detail is simplified but it looks right and is cheap. Unless Eduard release one, it's the only game in town.

8 hours ago, rob85 said:

Fine work so far simon. I would have to put my hat in the ring for the all black spitfire as well, looks very cool.

Good to see you taking on a spitfire epic!

Rob

Hello Rob, I've not seen you around these parts for a while and hope you're well. How's your Spitfire epic going?

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

I'm doing half-days at work at the moment so there's more time for modelling. Here's this afternoon's progress:

The cockpit bits...

2017-07-24_03-49-34

Tamiya tape, painted with Tamiya buff, harness, the head armour is made from a piece of a milk bottle. (It doesn't look so sickly-green in real life).

Wings on...

20170724_170052

(I suspect it had metal ailerons, I'll check my (limited) references.)

Elevators...

20170724_170138

I did the droop by scoring along the hinge-line with a scalpel. The other one has since been done and they've been glued to the fuselage.

The Airfix left off the rudder actuator but it's easily done with a piece of stretched sprue (although this piece appears to be a little thick)...

20170724_170148

There may be more done this evening.

Thanks for looking and don't forget to vote.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Very nice cockpit and seating detailing there Simon. The seat belts look great, the foil armour plate is a nice recycling use :).

It's going together very quickly and well.

Great stuff

TonyT

Currently it's not really going any where, but it's not forgotten! I'm sure you will give me the inspiration I need to crack on with them though.

All is well enough cheers and I hope it's the same or better for you.

Rob

• Like 1

On 07/24/2017 at 5:29 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

Very nice cockpit and seating detailing there Simon. The seat belts look great, the foil armour plate is a nice recycling use :).

It's going together very quickly and well.

Great stuff

TonyT

Thanks Tony, although I used the plastic from the bottle for the armour (because I couldn't be bothered to visit the loft to get some plastic sheet and it was all that was in the recycling bag).

32 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Currently it's not really going any where, but it's not forgotten! I'm sure you will give me the inspiration I need to crack on with them though.

All is well enough cheers and I hope it's the same or better for you.

Rob

Glad to hear you're well and, if I do nothing else with this, I hope it gets your one going again.

• Like 2

Haven't done anything with this for nearly a week, as I've been ill and doing decals on a pre-war Spitfire, however it has had a couple of coats of Sky (and needs a bit of filling)...

2017-07-31_02-38-45

I'm due to start recording an album next week (entitled 'God, Pox & Laudanum) but I reckon the Spitfire'll be finished in the next week to 10 days, so the poll stays open.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1