A couple of Challengers 2 ...

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 18:05, Etienne said:

The main details added, as on the Trumpy, are the front lights' wiring and the telephone reel at the rear ... for those familiar with Challenger on training grounds (Salisbury, BATUS), you'll notice that I wrapped the front fire extinguishers with "canvas" to hide the red color 

I love the attention to detail. It's what makes a build for me. They're both looking great Etienne.

John.

Hello gents, thanks for your comments ... I spent much time on the Challys (and I will but not these days as I'm out for work :huh:) but there's still something bothering me much :o

I find the ratchets attachments of the drums pretty unrealistic, particularly on the Tamiya ... will have to find a solution to enhance that point !!

E

Hello gents,

as already said, I was not satisfied with the ratchets and straps of the drums ... while in the plane back home yesterday morning, I defined the way I could correct that,
the result is not perfect but still far better than the kit's original moldings ... ;)

img_0751.jpg
img_0750.jpg

I also added what seems to be gaz tubes to evacuate fuel vapors :huh:

img_0752.jpg

That's all for today ... cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

Hello gents,

build session is ended for the Trumpeter CR2 ... now let's go with paint, primer and my personal approach of zenithal modulation :P

img_0754.jpg
img_0755.jpg

Still many things to do on the Tamyia, some rivet-counting sessions to come ;)

E

• Like 4

Basecoating NATO green over the modulation ... the color is rather light and bright but will tone down with filters, and part of it will be covered by the black camo pattern ;)

img_0756.jpg
img_0757.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 4

Hello gents,

small update but much work this morning masking and painting the camo pattern ;)

I tried to reproduce the specific hard edge camo seen on KFOR tanks ... not so much photographic references but the result seems OK :P

img_0758.jpg
img_0759.jpg
img_0760.jpg

Last week end, I realized that I thought I had tracks for this Chally ... but the box was empty, used them for the previous one :huh: ... waiting for a new set but still much to do around the hull and turret but the most difficult part, in my opinion, is done !!

Cheers, E

• Like 5

It really comes to life once the black cammo goes on.

It's a real PITA when you look in the box and discover that a part is missing. I thought that I had all of the parts for the suspension for my Sherman, only to find that one essential part wasn't there.:huh:

John.

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

It's a real PITA when you look in the box and discover that a part is missing. I thought that I had all of the parts for the suspension for my Sherman, only to find that one essential part wasn't there.:huh:

Indeed ... I could use the kit's tracks but frankly I prefer to wait for a few days, having many other things to do ;)

Hello gents,

today I painted some of the many details ... and several filters before a final clear coat so I'll be able to put the decals on !!

I also added a tarp around the DON10 reel, as seen on many Challenger, particularly in Kosovo ...

img_0763.jpg
img_0767.jpg
img_0766.jpg
img_0762.jpg
img_0765.jpg
img_0764.jpg
img_0768.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

Hello,

decals on !! ... I used the kit's ones, not to bad and rather accurate but had to recut the rear ID number, don't know why they don't it the correct size :huh:

img_0769.jpg
img_0770.jpg
img_0771.jpg
img_0772.jpg

Next step, a little bit of clear coat on decals, then filters, pin washes and so on ;) Still waiting for the tracks ...

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

Thats looking really good Etienne...you dont often see black and green cam anymore, just boring old green! for a point of accuracy the padding inside the Commanders and Loaders hatches is actually green in clour, yours looks black in the photos, perhaps it is green??

If you are going to leave the hatches open I would give the inside of the Commanders hatch a coat of white paint too.  Hope this helps.

40 minutes ago, Widow 65 said:

Thats looking really good Etienne...you dont often see black and green cam anymore, just boring old green! for a point of accuracy the padding inside the Commanders and Loaders hatches is actually green in clour, yours looks black in the photos, perhaps it is green??

If you are going to leave the hatches open I would give the inside of the Commanders hatch a coat of white paint too.  Hope this helps.

Hello,

thanks for your comment B) ... and for the advices !!

As for the hatches padding, it is some kind of blue green but seems to look black because of the clear coat and light ... but I carefully studied the photos to find the right color :P ... and for the white paint inside the commander's hatch, yes, it's on my "to do" list but as I wanted to put the decals today, it will be done next time I go to the work bench, don't worry !! ;)

Cheers, E

Hi,

I was about to start the Trumpeter Challenger 2 desertised. Can I ask you where you got the photo etched engine grille covers from please? I have been looking all over, could not find Eduard ones, only Tamiya ones, but not sure if they would be okay for the Trumpeter. This is my first Trumpeter kit, as I usually just go for Tamiya. Thanks

Martin

3 hours ago, ancientmariner said:

Hi,

I was about to start the Trumpeter Challenger 2 desertised. Can I ask you where you got the photo etched engine grille covers from please? I have been looking all over, could not find Eduard ones, only Tamiya ones, but not sure if they would be okay for the Trumpeter. This is my first Trumpeter kit, as I usually just go for Tamiya. Thanks

Martin

Hello,

the only "officially" available PE set for the Trumpeter from Eduard is the set #36126 ... but if you only want the engine deck's grills, you can also look for the discontinued TP070 set on EBay if you're lucky ;)

You won't find a specific desertized set from Eduard for the Trumpy ... perhaps can you try  other brands, like Voyager, Tetra, etc.

Hope this helps... E