A couple of Challengers 2 ...

Thanks Francis B)

... today I applied the camo, not so easy as I tried to replicate one that's rather intricate, much masking and many problems with the new paints I don't control very well yet.

img_0812.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Sexy looking Challenger you have there E. You might have me building a Chally yet :D

There's so many variations, you should find an interesting version ;)

I will probably take a break from Challys after this one but I have 2 more in my stash, one for another KFOR without dozer blade and a BATUS one ... 2018 projects I guess !!

Cheers, E

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Cammo is looking excellent Etienne. What problems are you having with the new paints?

John.

Thanks John ! ... I used to thin Vallejo paints to spray thin coats and after a few trials, used the same method with Hataka paints but it doesn't work so well, I'd even say that thinning Hataka paints is detrimental to the spraying's smoothness :huh:

11 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Camo looks fantastic!!!, what did you use for masking?...:popcorn:, cheers Etienne :yes:

Thanks B) ... I use Panzer Putty from MXpression ... easy to use, not to sticky, no traces but tends to sag if let for long on the model.

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello gents,

much work this week end but nothing very visible ... filter, scratching and shipping and some detail painting ;)

Road and tracks are also ready ... next step will be decals, but I will certainly have to modify some, then pin washes and oils I guess ^_^

img_0814.jpg
img_0817.jpg
img_0815.jpg
img_0816.jpg
img_0813.jpg

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

Hello gents,

well, after a week out for business, I came home and had some time to take things further ;)

I did some pin washes on wheels, hull and turret ... then decals, even if I still lack the correct callsigns ... and played with washes and filters to add some tonal variations and a beginning of weathering.

img_0819.jpg
img_0820.jpg
img_0818.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 4

Hello gents,

tracks and wheels today ... at least weathering and finishing :P

Track assembling and painting was a slow and long process ... link by link, pad by pad ... but I still think they worth it.

For those interesting in Challys : you can see on photos that the tracks are not rusted in general (only a few counterexample available in fact) and that they often have a rather shiny hue so I painted the tracks with a metallic paint (magnesium from Vallejo), the pads with nato black and then applied several pigments sludges that were fixed with matt varnish thin & light coats to avoid obliterating the pigments !!).

img_0821.jpg
img_0822.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 2

Hello gents,

last update before a few days off with my family for holidays ... B)

I just received the callsigns today ... the Chally is a rather free interpretation (did with what I found ...) of what would be the 2nd tank of HQ Troop, A Sqn, 1st RTR :huh:

So I was able to complete the decals and throw a coat of varnish ... next week end, I'll finish the washes - filters process, particularly on the turret's sides and the skirts and perhaps I'll have the tracks installed, who knows ?

img_0825.jpg
img_0824.jpg
img_0828.jpg
img_0827.jpg

I also went into the process of adding all the periscopes (made of 1mm clear plasticard, cut, beveled and tinted ...) and unmasking the gunsights ... know the beast is ready to sting !!

img_0829.jpg
img_0831.jpg
img_0830.jpg

Cheers, E 

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 5

Hello gents,

tracks on, weathering almost finished ... still have some details to play around and the aerials to install B)

Still wondering about what crewmen I'll install on this Chally ... probably equipped with Osprey armor vests and MTP camo pattern uniforms.

img_0833.jpg
img_0832.jpg
img_0834.jpg
img_0835.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 6

Looking really good Etienne.  This scheme fits the tank and it looks like a mean mother.  The tracks turned out great and from what I've seen on the real thing

here at BATUS they don't rust and do look rather shiny and in some cases rather filthy.

Do the BATUS version from your stash, looking forward to that one.

Lloyd

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlackMax12 said:

Looking really good Etienne.  This scheme fits the tank and it looks like a mean mother.  The tracks turned out great and from what I've seen on the real thing

here at BATUS they don't rust and do look rather shiny and in some cases rather filthy.

Do the BATUS version from your stash, looking forward to that one.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, Salisbury's Challengers are not much different from the BATUS ones ... in general, modern tanks don't rust too much but they can get rather filthy indeed :P

I have several projects in mind, but a BATUS Chally is one of them of course, I already have the kit and the Accurate Armour supplies ... it will be based on a Trumpeter Challenger 2.

18 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

Impressive looking Chally E. Weathering nice and subtle too :yes:

Thanks for your comment ... the weathering's learning curve was very steep at the beginning but now I can use several techniques depending on the effects I want to achieve, that's quite fun !! Still have to learn more about oils however.

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne

Gone to RFI section after receiving aerials !!

Thanks to all for all your words of encouragement and comments B) ... still wondering about what will be the next project (I still have a unfinished CV90 on my bench anyway) ??

Cheers, E