A couple of Challengers 2 ...

Very hard to find these pe parts. The TP070, cannot be had at all. Are the engine grille plates painted a dark colour's looking in the instructions,they are shown as being painted black or a dark grey. I was just going to make the grab handles from soft copper wire, and paint the grille's whatever colour they are meant to be.

Martin

9 minutes ago, ancientmariner said:

Very hard to find these pe parts. The TP070, cannot be had at all. Are the engine grille plates painted a dark colour's looking in the instructions,they are shown as being painted black or a dark grey. I was just going to make the grab handles from soft copper wire, and paint the grille's whatever colour they are meant to be.

Martin

Hi mate,

The engine grills are whatever colour was sprayed on them at the time, so it could be either.

I'm not familiar with the CH2's grilles, so this may be totally useless, but Accurate Amour make several different types of etched brass mesh, and if they did one that matched your needs, you could scratch build them.

John.

Thanks very much. I started building the Challenger 2 today, I was going to try and scratch build the engine grilles. The quality of the Trumpeter is no way near as good as Tamiya,this is the first time that I have tackled Trumpeter, and I think it will be the last. Next one will be Tamiya.

Martin

28 minutes ago, ancientmariner said:

Thanks very much. I started building the Challenger 2 today, I was going to try and scratch build the engine grilles. The quality of the Trumpeter is no way near as good as Tamiya,this is the first time that I have tackled Trumpeter, and I think it will be the last. Next one will be Tamiya.

Martin

The Trumpeter Challenger 2 is one of their earlier efforts so don't judge them entirely on this kit. I much prefer the Tamiya option in this case but many of the more recent Trumpeter kits are excellent builds.

Cheers,

Centaur

12 hours ago, ancientmariner said:

Thanks for that. It's just a few photos of CH2's, the grilles seem to be a dark colour. Having quite a bit bother trying to source some pe grilles,all out of stock.

Martin

Hi mate,

I served on tanks in the Army, what I was trying to say, which has already been stated, was that the engine decks (louvres), were painted as per the overall colour.  They look dark because they get very dirty with exhaust fumes, the occasional oil leak(?) and overall wear and tear of the day to day use of a main battle tank.:coolio:

Nick

Hello gents,

all decals on, and I painted the stripes on the fume extractor ... then wheels and tracks on with some weathering on the undercarriage ;)

Putting the tracks on was some kind of struggle as there's not so much place with the ROMOR armor on and the idlers are a litte to close to the front fenders :huh:

img_0773.jpg
img_0776.jpg
img_0774.jpg
img_0775.jpg

... and as suggested by Widow 65, the TC hatch received a coat of white paint and a little bit of weathering !!

img_0777.jpg

That's all for today, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 7

Excellent work,hope my Trumpy Challenger 2 turns out as good. Done some more work on it today. Fitted and glued the upper hull to the lower hull, a little bit filing for a decent fit and had to put a little filler on a couple of small gaps, but nothing really bad. I am surprised that it is actually going quite well at the moment. I will try and get some photos on.

Martin

Hello gents,

today I tried weathering with oils for the 1st time ... very interesting as oils are easy to work and rework B)

So I finished the TC and loader's hatches and made some dusting on the Chally ... will need some more dust in some specific ponts and pigments probably.

img_0812.jpg
img_0810.jpg
img_0811.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 2

Hello gents,

weathering finished ... I experimented oils and acrylics for the dust, then pigments and the result is not bad at all, I think ;)

I'm still thinking of spraying a very light coat of flat varnish ... but I don't want to obliterate all the hard work :huh:

The Chally still needs its crew and antennas ... next week possibly ...

img_0813.jpg
img_0814.jpg
img_0816.jpg
img_0815.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 7